Thread: mounting silhouette-style rimless lenses without bushings

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

mounting silhouette-style rimless lenses without bushings

I have a client for whom I need to explore options for mounting rimless lenses. I remember seeing someone posting about not using the bushings at all and, instead, using a .9mm or 1.0 mm bit and simply pushing it into place. As I'll be using Trivex lenses, the aforementioned approach is doable. I'm wondering how well the lens will remain secure -- I need to be certain the lenses will be very difficult to get pried out. The frame will be a Kishimoto HiTech, so I'm not at all concerned about the frame breaking.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would you be going against the frame manufacturers' protocol? Just wondering what you are up to here

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Why would you be going against the frame manufacturers' protocol? Just wondering what you are up to here
    I'm just trying to help someone who is especially hard on his eyeglasses -- no big deal

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd think the "microflexiblity" that the bushings provide would improve durability, not hinder it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I have a client for whom I need to explore options for mounting rimless lenses. I remember seeing someone posting about not using the bushings at all and, instead, using a .9mm or 1.0 mm bit and simply pushing it into place. As I'll be using Trivex lenses, the aforementioned approach is doable. I'm wondering how well the lens will remain secure -- I need to be certain the lenses will be very difficult to get pried out. The frame will be a Kishimoto HiTech, so I'm not at all concerned about the frame breaking.
    I do an avg of 5 sil's per day, just Trivex, no bushings - will never develop star bursts or cracking. Plus the holes with Trivex will never change size and remain nice and snug. Polycarbonate is the worst material for these types of jobs, holes expand and cracks always develop in time, not to mention it provides inferior optics. Always go Trivex up to +-4.00D, then bypass Poly and go straight to 1.6 where it will still have decent tensile strength and longevity.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even if you were able to get it to work, the only way to change lenses would be to break the mounted ones. May not be a big deal, but probably should be a consideration.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I do it and it works best with Trivex with no cracking, I've even used glue for extra security in the past.

High minuses I tend to go only deep enough on the holes so as not to have the backside holes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    I do it and it works best with Trivex with no cracking, I've even used glue for extra security in the past.

High minuses I tend to go only deep enough on the holes so as not to have the backside holes.
    What size drill bit seems to work best for Silhouette-sized frames? I experimented with 1.0 mm, but I'm thinking the fit could be better with .9. Before I call my drill bit source, do you use 1.0 mm bits or smaller ones?

Occupation
    1.0mm would sometimes work well on a higher bc or worn drill bit, otherwise if you can find a 0.9 it would be best at 3mm gap, I use 1.0 and 2.8 or 2.9 for gap space, I haven't worked in the lab for the past 3 years so please confirm on a demo first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its cool that you guys do this, but I can't visualize the benefit. If bushings are causing problems isn't it because the holes are too loose for them or the bushings are too small for the holes? I can accept that your techniques work, but I can't imagine whely they would work better than standard assembly. Oh well lol! I hope it works well for the glasses you are making

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sillouette did introduced this type of mounting and called it fusion! I dont think it worked for them.
    you can just get the hardest bushings you can find to secure the fit!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm sure it can work but I can't imagine the pain in the A next time he wants lenses replaced. Still don't get why everyone has trouble with them loosening and cracking. Make the bushing TIGHT and chamfer the holes both sides. I usually have to press the bushing in against the bench bc they're so tight. I second the harder bushing.

I haven't had a stress crack in ages either and I use mostly poly (don't lecture me I know lol)
    Fourteen of my family members (including: aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, grandparents...and a great uncle) are, or have been in optical and...that's just crazytown at Christmas

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't had a stress crack on poly in a long time either. Like 5 years.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Sillouette did introduced this type of mounting and called it fusion! I dont think it worked for them.
    you can just get the hardest bushings you can find to secure the fit!
    It was not a Trivex only option offered, therefore you cannot fit them as tight. Fitting silhouette with Trivex, You could probably squeeze them into a 0.8mm hole and damage the prongs before pulling them apart.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    mehhhhh I'm not to keen on this no bushing deal. One of the benefits of the bushings is so that the frame pulls out of the lens when the patient sits on it or something like that. Bring it to me and I slip in a new bushing and send you on your way. You want to buy another silhouette frame and put your lenses into it. With bushings I can accommodate that.
    No bushings and I have to bust your old lenses for you to be able to use your frame again. Don't think you will like that. Your frame breaks and I cant use your lenses because I cant get the frame off of the lenses without damaging lenses.
    I will use bushings please. Thank you very much.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll had a couple of occasions when I've fit a high minus client with rimless. Using no bushings can extend the rx range for such people.

Occupation
    the have extra long bushings, but it looks much better with no holes on the backside to collect trash especially for the myope who can see the trash.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So if glue is used on trivex is there any reason you can't reuse the chassis, if so desired, after a soak in acetone? I know acetone will destroy the an AR coat.

Thread Information