Thread: Changes in ABO requirements

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Changes in ABO requirements

I received an email today stating that there are now changes for the certification renewal requirements:

Attention Certificate,

ABO-NCLE will be updating our certification renewal requirements as of January 1, 2016. Please prepare now to meet those qualifications if your certification expires in 2016 and beyond.

The new certification renewal requirements:
    ABO Certification Renewal: $85 renewal fee and completion of 12 ABO and/or NCLE Approved CECs, of which at least 6 hours are ABO Approved Technical CECs.
    NCLE Certification Renewal: $85 renewal fee and completion of 18 ABO and/or NCLE Approved CECs, of which at least 9 hours are NCLE Approved Technical CECs.
    ABO & NCLE (Joint) Certification Renewal: $85 renewal fee for each certification and completion of 21 ABO and/or NCLE Approved CECs, of which at least 5 hours of must be ABO Approved Technical CECs and at least 6 hours must be NCLE Approved Technical CECs.

If you are licensed in a state that requires continuing education for license renewal, all you need to do is provide a copy of your current license, with your $85 payment, per certification.
    In order to maintain your ABO and/or NCLE Advanced & Masters Designation Renewal: $85 renewal fee for each certification and at least one-third of your required credits, as described above, must be Approved Level II or III CECs.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good, They should. I always wondered why the CEs about selling or displaying sunwear in your shop are worth the same as the ones that are about optics or lens design.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agreed. Now lets see how many Technical CECs are out there. Probably going to load up on those ASAP to get them out of the way
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Agreed. Now lets see how many Technical CECs are out there. Probably going to load up on those ASAP to get them out of the way
    Whenever Barry has an article in 20/20 there usually is a techinical CE available as well

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It’s good to see the ABO/NCLE raising the bar, now if they could work on making the test less retail Optician friendly.....
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I spoke to a good friend at VEE just this year and he mention that the ABOM doesn't expire. It looks like this is changing as well, they are moving towards 5 case studies as a means to attain ABOM as well. Looks like the ABO is in flux, from a cert database search I noticed in unlicensed state a high number of expired certs, next I looked at licensed states and the very same holds true lots of expired certificate. Looks like the ABO may be loosing support or at least that's my take.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Whenever Barry has an article in 20/20 there usually is a techinical CE available as well
    OUTED! Yes, thanks. I am a technical writer by nature. Often one of my original articles is massaged over by me into a CE. But I am somewhat devilish with my multiple choice questions, so read carefully.

Why not try my myopia CE this month, or my corridor CE?

b

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like ABO is moving in the right direction. Still think technical CEs should be a higher percentage however.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, where can we find your CEs? I got the email too, and was unaware that there was such a thing as a technical CE vs a regular or level I II, etc, CE. The ABO site doesn't explain it where they said they do in the mail.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    His CE's can be found on the 20/20 Eye magazine website. He currently has one free CE up and one up for a fee.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't stop laughing at how many times they say "$85". What a joke, take another free 20/20 rag mag ce credit, and call yourself an optician.

Thread Information