Thread: Why don' they

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ever wonder why manufacturers and frame's fax don't publish lens circumferences with the frames data. Most manufacturers claim this is known and consistent to .01 mm. If we had this a lot of problems at both the lab and dispensary could be kept from occurring. When you have your lab mounted zyl frames splitting prematurely, you could find out if the lab had been stretching frames to mount "slightly" oversize lenses.

Theoretically all lens only metal mounted lenses would fit!

Is there some reason us optical types, opticians, lab rats, optometrists and ophthalmologists couldn't put pressure on the frame manufacturer's for this?

Just hate it when I have to cut down lenses especially if I have paid to have the edges pre-polished.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question

Ever wonder why manufacturers and frame's fax don't publish lens circumferences with the frames data.
    Would this not be hard for them due to the diffrence in each perscription required eg oc's

Chip, Do you buy your lenses ready glazed with you supplying the frame info etc, to put into your own frames? As here in the uk we will only supply lenses in uncut or glazed into a frame (you send the frame to lab for glazing). This is because there is always a small diffrence in frame shape size etc between frames.

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John R.

I am a one-man store with too much to do, I am an ocularist, optician, and contact lens technician. I buy my lenses glazed due to lack of time, I already work 50-100 hours a week and this is with a little slowing down to age and diabetes.

However our frame manufacturers assure us that all their frames are made to .01 mm tolerance. And while I mean no insult, the few English frames I have encountered in the last decade were of very poor quality and may not have the standards of the better Italian, and Japanese frames.sssss

[This message has been edited by chip anderson (edited 11-04-2000).]

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Originally posted by chip anderson:
    John R.

However our frame manufacturers assure us that all their frames are made to .01 mm tolerance. And while I mean no insult, the few English frames I have encountered in the last decade were of very poor quality and may not have the standards of the better Italian, and Japanese frames.sssss

None taken Chip, British is not always best :O but having watched our glazer doing his bit and seen how much fiddling he has to do, and this is for one frame that we seem to do a lot of he has a former set for this one frame but still he has to tweak a bit here and there. I think you would be better sending the frame to be glazed at the lab and save your self a bit of work by not having to put them in your self.

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Chip,

Many big labs are now offering remote tracing capabilities as an alternative to your dilemna.

You put the frame in a tracer and it sends shape as well as size to the labs software for processing to your specifications via telephone line. I read in "Eyecare Business" a few months ago that this is supposed to be the up and coming thing for timely lab processing.

Haven't done it yet since I do my own finishing but I may try it for my glass work in the near future.

Kevin

Bad address email on file

PAKev:
    I worked for Cole Vision a few years back and we had what was known as " The Frame Facts " book...and inside this frame bible we had every known measurement pertaining to each and every frame which was on our frame boards, including " C Size "!...However, for a brief 3-4 month period we began to notice that one lens would always seem to fit snugly into the eyewire and the other lens would either be too big or held in place with " washer material "...THEN we noticed that on just about all re-makes ( for one reason or another ) they, the labs were cutting lenses using the same C size for both lenses. At first I thought it was perhaps the equipment they were using, I know that Santinelli had to have their tracing system retrofitted with 3-D Tracing because it would trace one eyewire and store the same C size measurement in memory for BOTH eyewires! So I resorted to taking my trusty C-size measuring tape and sized every lens on every remake; adding a half here, 1mm there. I suppose at some point the labs began to realize that C-size, was beginning to have an AFFECT ON PRODUCTION...that was O.K. for awhile because we could always take a plastic lens down if we had to!...But, wouldn't do that with GLASS where .5mm makes all the difference in the world....We also had the capability to, after closing the register at days end to data entry all our orders ( F/Ls ) and then relay the order info via fax modem directly to the lab...Yeah, this high-tech capability between lab and dispensary was, for the most part pretty good but not without its' little glitches. Anyway, there came a time when even the labs were recommending that we EXCLUDE " C-size " on all frame fact sheets from that point on and take our own C-size measurements and making them a part of the F/L order, so if we had a 155mm C- size, we had to do 155.5mm on the C if that was needed.

[This message has been edited by EyeCon (edited 11-04-2000).]

Thread Information