Thread: Online eyewear seller unveils new direction one year after $430 million sale to Essil

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Online eyewear seller unveils new direction one year after $430 million sale to Essil

Coastal Contacts rebrands as Clearly to highlight evolution

Online eyewear seller unveils new direction one year after $430 million sale to Essilor

Roy Hessel became CEO of what was then Coastal Contacts after Essilor bought the company in April 2014 | Rob Kruyt

The world’s largest online eyewear seller, Coastal Contacts, is rebranding to be known as Clearly worldwide and plans to roll out a transformation in the weeks ahead.

The move unites the company’s many country-specific brands under a common name and highlights how the company has evolved since April 2014, when founder and then-CEO Roger Hardy executed the sale of what was a public company to French eyewear giant Essilor for $430 million.

The company’s Canadian brand, Clearly Contacts, will simply be known as Clearly whereas its American brand will be Coastal by Clearly, Clearly CEO Roy Hessel told Business in Vancouver in an interview May 11 at his East Vancouver headquarters.
    “It’s not just about dropping the word ‘contacts,’” Hessel said.
    “The rebranding, at its essence, its heart, really manifests and expresses our global vision.”
    The company’s European brand, Lensway, will become Lensway by Clearly while its Japanese brand, Contactsan, will become Contactsan by Clearly.

It is unclear when or if the Clearly brand will eventually be the exclusive brand used worldwide.
    Hessel said that the company’s focus going forward will be much more to educate consumers than to simply try to get them to buy products using price as the motivating factor.
    Prices will not rise, he said, but there will be more educational videos and other tools on the website.
    Having more on-site education will in turn spur sales, he said.

“The big change I want to communicate is that we’re going from being narrowly focused just on a price arbitrage with the market to being around global vision correction – how do we address it and what do you need to know about your eyes,” Hessel said.
    One new partnership is with Kodak.
    That pact with the former photography giant means that Clearly can offer Kodak's lenses and coatings so that Clearly's customers can protect their eyes from so-called “blue light,” which is largely emitted by bright screens on devices and computers.
    Protection from blue light is not widely sought in North America but Hessel said it is common in Japan, said Hessel.
    “That is one of the things that we have that is unique,” he said. “You wont find those lenses at other online channels or even eye-care practitioners.”
    No future brick-and-mortar stores are planned but Hessel said that they are possible in the future.
    His reason for pausing that rollout is that he belives capital is better spent fueling online sales.
    All of Clearly’s 400 B.C. employees work out of the company’s Virtual Way head office, which includes a manufacturing facility and a new office that the company moved into little over a month ago.
    Only three employees work in the U.S. whereas about 100 work in Sweden.
    Pre-acquisition, the company had floated the idea of opening a manufacturing facility in Memphis because that is FedEx’s hub but Hessel has no such plans.

“Vancouver is not ideal for running any global company,” he said. “It’s not the ideal place for time zone and not ideal for access but there’s one thing in Vancouver that’s hard to replace and that’s human talent. There is a highly educated, very versatile, multi-language environment. The richness of the talent pool here overcomes all the other challenges that we have.”
    Virtually all of Clearly's manufacturing is in Vancouver although some is also done in China and in Thailand.

Another change at Clearly is the zeal with which Hessel wants to work with the industry.

The pre-acquisition company battled lawsuits , such as one in 2007, when the College of Opticians of B.C. successfully argued that Coastal Contacts was breaking the law by failing to require that customers provide prescriptions and by failing to use eye-care professionals in its dispensing process.

The B.C. government then changed the law to allow the company to continue its operating practices.

“We have completely changed the approach of the company to the industry,” Hessel told BIV. “We see ourselves as an integral part of the industry and that our efforts are designed to increase awareness and to collaborate with the industry. So instead of competing with eye-care practitioners, we want to collaborate and become the company that increases awareness and provides value for the industry as a whole.”

gkorstrom@biv.com

@GlenKorstrom

source ====> https://www.biv.com/article/2015/5/c...hlight-evolut/

a piece of history ====>
    https://www.biv.com/article/2012/9/gary-collins-eye-contact/

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 05-14-2015 at 12:12 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Another article with a big claim:

"In many ways, Clearly is in a position to make peace because it won: The company has 30 per cent of corrective-lens sales in North America, it won a more recent legal challenge in Quebec, and it’s now focused on taking market share from some of the world’s largest eye wear retailers in North America, Japan and Europe."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/clearlycontactsca-rebrands-as-it-moves-into-eyeglass-market/article24405620/

Sv

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
    Another article with a big claim:

"In many ways, Clearly is in a position to make peace because it won: The company has 30 per cent of corrective-lens sales in North America, it won a more recent legal challenge in Quebec, and it’s now focused on taking market share from some of the world’s largest eye wear retailers in North America, Japan and Europe."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/clearlycontactsca-rebrands-as-it-moves-into-eyeglass-market/article24405620/

Sv

And ECP's continue to support the company that is not only competing directly with them on a national level, but is also driving consumers in your own backyard away over to their platform by undermining professionals and insinuating that ECP's professional services are overpriced and not required. Dumb and Dumber 3 has arrived.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    And ECP's continue to support the company that is not only competing directly with them on a national level, but is also driving consumers in your own backyard away over to their platform by undermining professionals and insinuating that ECP's professional services are overpriced and not required. Dumb and Dumber 3 has arrived.
    It's amazing that ECPS buy VisioOffice machines from the same supplier that lures away their customer base and teaches the customer to take their own PDs then makes progressives without measuring heights.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why can't essilor have it all ways? That's their thinking.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Why can't essilor have it all ways? That's their thinking.
    Is that not what you want?

It is what I want...........

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Provide me stock lenses that have an AR approaching Crizal and transitions and I'll stop supporting E completely.

Crizal works the best (IMHO), Transitions is unmatched. I offer Varilux lenses but Essilor progressive lenses are not my go to by any means.

Essilor makes my skin crawl and I'm waiting for something better to come along, but all these people saying stop using their stuff where is my option? People want a reasonable price on premium product - I can provide that with an Avance Trans FSV lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Provide me stock lenses that have an AR approaching Crizal and transitions and I'll stop supporting E completely.

Crizal works the best (IMHO), Transitions is unmatched. I offer Varilux lenses but Essilor progressive lenses are not my go to by any means.

Essilor makes my skin crawl and I'm waiting for something better to come along, but all these people saying stop using their stuff where is my option? People want a reasonable price on premium product - I can provide that with an Avance Trans FSV lens.

If you haven't found stock lenses in every index that are just as good as crizal, change suppliers. Essilor makes these stock lenses in the same asian factories as other suppliers. There is no reason to ever NEED to buy a stock essilor lens. Ever. At least that's my experience in the great white north. Transitions is another matter and when needed the alternatives aren't always as good.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation

I have a 1.56 with AR that i have had zero complaints over the past 7 years. I also have a 1.56 in mass photo that over 6 months of testing of 8 hour a day sun....assuming the sun was shining, darkens much faster than trans. The only disadvantage is it fades a little slower. I have worn it for over a year and coming in from the sun to my office i don't notice it after one minute. Pricing waaaaay better than Trans. Call me if you want samples. Bet your skin will now be as smooth as a baby's bottom. 1-800-543-7376.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    If you haven't found stock lenses in every index that are just as good as crizal, change suppliers. Essilor makes these stock lenses in the same asian factories as other suppliers. There is no reason to ever NEED to buy a stock essilor lens. Ever. At least that's my experience in the great white north. Transitions is another matter and when needed the alternatives aren't always as good.
    Who? Not Seiko, their AR isn't as good. I use independent supplier channels (other than VSP's forced one) and independent labs. I've used Seikos AR, Youngers AR, Zeiss's AR, Somo's AR, Vision Ease's AR, and all of them aren't as good after 6 months of wear as Crizal Avance.

I would use them tomorrow if I could, they just haven't been proven to me to exist. The chemical formula of Crizal is superior to all else I've tried as far as longevity of cleanability, at least as far as stock lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Who? Not Seiko, their AR isn't as good. I use independent supplier channels (other than VSP's forced one) and independent labs. I've used Seikos AR, Youngers AR, Zeiss's AR, Somo's AR, Vision Ease's AR, and all of them aren't as good after 6 months of wear as Crizal Avance.

I would use them tomorrow if I could, they just haven't been proven to me to exist. The chemical formula of Crizal is superior to all else I've tried as far as longevity of cleanability, at least as far as stock lenses.
    Funny, I use a lot of "generic" white envelope high index easy clean ARs (stock) with virtually no returns for scratches or quality issues. Is it the UV index where you are? The heat? What the heck is damaging those other lenses??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmm thats a good question, Mostly its either cleanability or peeling off. Not so much "scratches" per se.

Actually as far as "heat" damage, that is one of Avances weak points... I may PM you in the future if you wouldn't mind.

And thread can go back to its original depressing topic.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper And thread can go back to its original depressing topic. .......................

And thread can go back to its original depressing topic.

And it should ............

Every thread on OB dies off because somebody changes the theme either unknowing and voluntary, or often on purpose.

Essilor is on a roll for full domination of the optical scene and you retailers just want to dominate your little domestic corner, blindfolded to world wide happenings in your profession.

My other tread about Essilor and Hoya being interested in a takeover of third largest optical manufacturer Rodenstock has seen only one comment and relatively few views over the last 3 days.

Coastal has already changed their name and website addresses to clearly and redirected automatically to:

and here is what they promote:

Since 2006, ClearlyContacts.ca has been providing Canadians with the highest quality and the best variety of designer prescription glasses at the lowest possible prices. We are committed to ensuring that your eyeglasses are made with the highest quality machines, materials, and coatings for optimal vision correction and comfort.

TOP EYEGLASSES ONLINE - LOW PRICE

We offer our customers the highest quality & largest selection of designer glasses at the lowest possible prices. Just a few of our designers include: Calvin Klein, DKNY, Gucci, Guess, and many more. Our product is always backed by 365 day no hassle returns and a 100% money-back guarantee, plus free return shipping!

Check it out and propose some ideas to counter an increased flow to on-line sellers, without discussing AR coatings which are the last items for on-line sellers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    And it should ............

Every thread on OB dies off because somebody changes the theme either unknowing and voluntary, or often on purpose.

Essilor is on a roll for full domination of the optical scene and you retailers just want to dominate your little domestic corner, blindfolded to world wide happenings in your profession.

My other tread about Essilor and Hoya being interested in a takeover of third largest optical manufacturer Rodenstock has seen only one comment and relatively few views over the last 3 days.

Coastal has already changed their name and website addresses to clearly and redirected automatically to:

and here is what they promote:

Since 2006, ClearlyContacts.ca has been providing Canadians with the highest quality and the best variety of designer prescription glasses at the lowest possible prices. We are committed to ensuring that your eyeglasses are made with the highest quality machines, materials, and coatings for optimal vision correction and comfort.

TOP EYEGLASSES ONLINE - LOW PRICE

We offer our customers the highest quality & largest selection of designer glasses at the lowest possible prices. Just a few of our designers include: Calvin Klein, DKNY, Gucci, Guess, and many more. Our product is always backed by 365 day no hassle returns and a 100% money-back guarantee, plus free return shipping!

Check it out and propose some ideas to counter an increased flow to on-line sellers, without discussing AR coatings which are the last items for on-line sellers.

+1 for keeping it on track. Looks like Lensguy has drank not only a glass of E Kool-Aid, but the whole darn jug.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    **double post
    Last edited by Tallboy; 05-15-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a small businessman, I take care of patients of the doctors I work with and clients from referrals ranging from all of the local and semi-local eye surgeons. I provide cleaning, adjustments repairs and fittings of spectacles. I know you think I should compartmentalize my charges into sections Chris, but I haven't had enough of a situation requiring that. 10 years ago (at Lenscrafters) we DID have a sign offering frame work for a fee, unless it had been purchased from us.

I cannot control Essilor, I voice my displeasure to the Varilux rep, who listens because if I am unhappy HE is losing out. I'm sure it falls on deaf ears beyond that.

I use as littles essilor as possible, to minimize my help of them. But I will not spite myself by using inferior product. Despite what you think Chris Premium AR stacks are something patients are demanding nowadays, UNLIKE when you worked in the industry, its different now. Crizal is a great one, is available on stock lenses as well it is the ONLY premium AR available on flat tops (Trivex/Poly/CR39). I do a lot of flattops, I know you will appreciate that Chris.

So doom and gloomers, I'm sorry it went off topic, but when these threads are posted as an affront to how we ECPs do business being the root CAUSE of these new companies and their absorption into the Essilor Empire, I say its easy to be chicken little Chris, its hard to build the chicken coop, know what I mean?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hoya are just as good at coatings, if not better, than essilor.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper So doom and gloomers, ..........................

So doom and gloomers, I'm sorry it went off topic, but when these threads are posted as an affront to how we ECPs do business being the root CAUSE of these new companies and their absorption into the Essilor Empire, I say its easy to be chicken little Chris, its hard to build the chicken coop, know what I mean?
    Thank you for your opinion, I have heard and read similar ones right here on OptiBoard over the last many years.

I just try keeping track of some historic changes that happens to a profession I grew up in, learned many years ago and have made a living from and with it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I appreciate many of your products and use them, as well as your optical business updates. No offense meant. I also like your stories of the old days.

Thread Information