Thread: Confusion regarding suitable PALs

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Confusion regarding suitable PALs

Hello all,

This is my very first post on this site, and I am hopeful that I can gain some good insight from you all!

Although I've only embarked on my first steps of the world of optometry by being accepted to the student optician program, I am definitely excited!

In the meantime, I'm in need of some advice from those well advanced than me. I have purchased my mother a pair of PALs from an optical store we've never used in the past, and for some reason or the other, nothing seems to be working for her. She's been wearing progressives for the past 15 years with no issues, apart from the distortion experienced especially during night time driving. She's normally worn conventional Essilor lenses (the most recent being ovation), but due to the distortion, I decided it was a great idea to purchase a digital lens for her. The first try was Comfort DS, in which she noticed the reading was blurry and distance not as sharp when compared to an older script on the ovations. It later turned out that the segment height had been incorrect. Thereafter, Physio 360 was tried - all seemed well, until she noticed that her phone and laptop are egg-shaped. Distance seems good, as does reading - the issue seems to be with the intermediate range.

This glasses situation has been ongoing for three months and the optical store is unable to figure out what the next course of action should be. I mentioned I would do some of my own research, which brings me here. I was hoping that I may receive some guidance as to what my next steps should be. Although I know that I cannot receive a diagnosis nor a remedy here, I am simply hoping some sound advice can be provided as I am truly drained and exhausted with this situation and feel terrible that I have put my mother through this.

Although it's been advised that she stays within the Essilor family given her success with her previous sets of glasses, I have read some great things about Nikon's Seemax PAL. Apart from that, given their product list, the only option left with Essilor is to once again try Comfort DS using better measurements, however, I worry that she may still experience distortion with night driving. They also sell Zeiss lenses, but I do not think that they will provide any credit should she experience any difficulties as she has with Essilor. I also worry soon they'll say they've tried it all and can no longer help - they also have a no refund policy so my anxiety level is really going up!

Any and all input will be immensely appreciated. Thank you everyone!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I forgot to note, her Rx is:

+3.50/-.50/105
    +3.50/-1.00/90

ADD: +2.50

Thank you all again!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spend 10 to 30 minutes, sometimes longer, interviewing my clients and analyzing their Rx before putting solutions on the table. Find an optician who will do the same for your mother.

Best regards,

Robert
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "This glasses situation has been ongoing for three months and the optical store is unable to figure out what the next course of action should be. I mentioned I would do some of my own research, which brings me here. I was hoping that I may receive some guidance as to what my next steps should be"

I think this job calls for CERTIFICATION!

Or Licensure!

B

ods
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    "This glasses situation has been ongoing for three months and the optical store is unable to figure out what the next course of action should be. I mentioned I would do some of my own research, which brings me here. I was hoping that I may receive some guidance as to what my next steps should be"

Or Licensure!

B
    The Essilor Ovation is a front surface progressive lens. Meaning that the Add and progressive channel are all on the front surface of the lens.
    Some patients do not like going to a back side digital lens. So the DRX family will give her nearing issues as well peripheral distortion.

Either try a Hoya Lifestyle2 or if you want to stay inside Essilor, go to the enhanced family.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

Or Licensure!

B
    I think a PhD in biochemistry and a PhD in mechanical engineering is required for this situation
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    I think a PhD in biochemistry and a PhD in mechanical engineering is required for this situation
    Experience!!!!!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My barber is licensed and works by appointment only! I say screw that, my time is too valuable, and he charges way too much, plus I have to tip him if I don't want my ear nicked occasionally.

So, I'm gettin' a "Flowbee"- no more overpriced, over-regulated services for this dude.

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information