Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The end could be near

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's a crap post.

Saying that we sell overpriced chinese junk? And we did it hiding behind regulation? And that we are somehow getting our just desserts at the hand of crap onliners?

Absolutely the post was crap.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by eeopti View Post
    Wow. Just wow...
    Like I said before: ELEVATE.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Warby works for the reason Tiger says. It's the truth.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Not only those reasons, but they know their target market, they know how their target market shops, and they know how to market the crap out of themselves to their target market.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My issue is not with the validity of what he said, but how he degrades people. I mean come on, not all millennials are broke and ignorant. He hits below the belt, and based on the little bit I've been exposed to I feel sorry for anyone that has to work with him.
    That aside, I do agree with him that high end store fronts or ODs are not competing for the same client as WP.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerclaw View Post
    I'm offended by the term "Joe optician", because it implies opticians are all men.
    rbaker refuses to rise to the bait.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    Not only those reasons, but they know their target market, they know how their target market shops, and they know how to market the crap out of themselves to their target market.
    Lots of kids' first cars wereSaturns and Yugos. Lots of kids' first watches were cheap LCD's. Warby will not last. Nobody wants to drive their first car to their first job... 20 years later.

And, Barry, if you think the middle man has been ripping people off and apparently we are all just absolutely BANKING from our eyewear sales (ignoring that LansCrafters sells for a higher median than independent OD's nationally), what does that say about your job? It's hard to make the case that we need qualified staff/opticians when you can be replaced by a keyboard (not my position, btw). You really should take a look at an OD's budget sometimes.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My issue is not with the validity of what he said, but how he degrades people. I mean come on, not all millennials are broke and ignorant. He hits below the belt, and based on the little bit I've been exposed to I feel sorry for anyone that has to work with him.
    That aside, I do agree with him that high end store fronts or ODs are not competing for the same client as WP.
    I didn't mean "ignorant" in the pejorative sense, and they will be the first to tell you about how "broke" they are, especially when you ask them why they have worn the same pair of contacts for 6 months. I tend to be a bit abrasive because I don't believe in mincing words. I call it like I see it, and tiptoeing around, at least to me, is insulting to the current audience.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerclaw View Post
    Lots of kids' first cars wereSaturns and Yugos. Lots of kids' first watches were cheap LCD's. Warby will not last. Nobody wants to drive their first car to their first job... 20 years later.
    Without dealing with absolutes, I agree the current business model of WP is not a sustainable one.
    They are more of a fashion company right now, and fashion is like music.
    What is in today, could be easily out tomorrow without any notice.

I'm sure most people who shop at WP would like to shop at places like OSA if they had the money.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, we shouldn't be harsh, that's true.
    But realize, just by pigeonholing someone as a "millenial" in the first place is an sweeping, unfair generality in itself.
    So it's not "wrong" to make generalizations about their characteristics, in general, right?

Individuals clearly vary. So what if you were born around year 2000? Does that make you like everyone else? No.

Personally I think this whole marketing thing is total flim-flam. I know lots of people who are about 20-ish and, yes, they are a product of their environment, but they're clearly just young people who are trying to make their way around. I feel sorry for many of them, because they're getting abused by insane tuition, predatory lenders, a super-weak job market, and an unconscionable amount of unfunded liabilities they're on the hook for. What's more, the college profs are predators in more ways than you know.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ught-they-are/
    I should take this off topic. Sorry.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Well, we shouldn't be harsh, that's true.
    But realize, just by pigeonholing someone as a "millenial" in the first place is an sweeping, unfair generality in itself.
    So it's not "wrong" to make generalizations about their characteristics, in general, right?

Individuals clearly vary. So what if you were born around year 2000? Does that make you like everyone else? No.

Personally I think this whole marketing thing is total flim-flam. I know lots of people who are about 20-ish and, yes, they are a product of their environment, but they're clearly just young people who are trying to make their way around. I feel sorry for many of them, because they're getting abused by insane tuition, predatory lenders, a super-weak job market, and an unconscionable amount of unfunded liabilities they're on the hook for. What's more, the college profs are predators in more ways than you know.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ught-they-are/
    I should take this off topic. Sorry.
    I don't think classifying someone as a millennial is unfair. It's a generation demographic. I also see the value in making generalizations about demographic characteristics from a marketing perspective. But it should be done with tact.
    You bring up valid points about the job market they face, and the obstacles they face with higher education. I'm a little confused though, don't you support licensure and the education requirements to achieve it? What you outlined has been one of my points exactly on not requiring education as a prerequisite for obtaining a license. The job market is weak. Tuition is high. Why block someone from progressing in their career because they can't afford to go to school?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't pretend to insert myself in opticianry standards (vis a vis certification vs. licensure, etc.). I just want it to be a regulated profession that we can all depend upon.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Without dealing with absolutes, I agree the current business model of WP is not a sustainable one.
    They are more of a fashion company right now, and fashion is like music.
    What is in today, could be easily out tomorrow without any notice.
    This is astute in my opinion.

First of all we are witnessing a huge bull market on plastic geekster glasses. The only thing in my lifetime that compares was the huge rush into small, oval/ round tortoise metal frames in the mid-90's.

A lot of this plays off that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who has studied WP enough to say with accuracy, not presumption, how WP was able to reach their market so quickly and be in a back order position so fast out of the gate ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What you outlined has been one of my points exactly on not requiring education as a prerequisite for obtaining a license. The job market is weak. Tuition is high. Why block someone from progressing in their career because they can't afford to go to school?
    I sure hope your only talking about us bottom feeding opticians here. I always wanted to be a heart surgeon, and cut the hell out of that frog in high school biology, can't understand why they won't give me my MD license.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a crap post.

Saying that we sell overpriced chinese junk? And we did it hiding behind regulation? And that we are somehow getting our just desserts at the hand of crap onliners?

Absolutely the post was crap.
    I totally agree.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    this is important, harry. Please folks, call your local representatives, and tell them to support the bill currently in the general assembly sponsored by senators curtis and others to keep our license in place. Once this is over, then we will talk about the future of nc opticians. The ncoa was a part of the problem here. If they had not fought their own state board for the last several years, the board could have raised fees, and been on solid ground. But the leadership of ncoa, most who have been in place for decades, spent thousands of members dollars, and made the state board do the same. This did not need to happen and is the reason we are in this mess. Personalities.....probably on both sides, wanted to be in control. Who suffers? The poor optician, as usual. The ncoa has done good things, and are necessary for our advancement, but did you know that only about 25% of the opticians in the state now belong? And even with the significant growth they talked about in their email today, it is still less than 30%. Some changes need to take place there, as well. Lets get this bill through, and then lets work to improve the ncoa. New blood is clearly needed in leadership positions.
    maybe you should have stuck around. Women and children first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    this is ridiculous. The license requirements only benefit optometrists by limiting experienced optical professionals from entering the market on their own unless they can pass several tests and obtain a degree. Most occupations with the same earning potential do not have such stringent requirements. And being in a moderate to low salary occupation, most people who would become an optician cannot afford the tuition and fees associated with getting a license.

It's a skilled trade that can be learned through hands-on experience and shouldn't be so heavily regulated. Beyond all of this, being licensed does no mean you will be earning more income. There have been several articles and research done on licensed vs non licensed opticians, and a license does not equate to a higher salary. License requirements just limits those with hands on knowledge from entering the workforce and benefits optometrists. Sorry, but it's true.
    total b.s.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    1 licensed optician isn't necessarily better than 1 unlicensed optician, but 1,000 licensed opticians will always be better than 1,000 unlicensed opticians.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Who has studied WP enough to say with accuracy, not presumption, how WP was able to reach their market so quickly and be in a back order position so fast out of the gate ?
    A study now would be close to pointless, imo.

Until they are a public company, we won't know their true numbers.
    and even public companies lie about numbers.

I also wouldn't call five years quickly for a mostly Ecommerce company that only sells one product.
    Most decent private practices will rise faster than that.

I will say this though, marketing.

I willing to bet they spend about 200-1000% more on marketing per pair sold than the majority of private practices.

And they market themselves, thus creating a brand.
    you don't see lux this or E that anywhere on their website.
    You won't even see WP or E in the same sentence, for very good reason.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What about Durham Tech? What advice for a potential student?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A study now would be close to pointless, imo.

Until they are a public company, we won't know their true numbers.
    and even public companies lie about numbers.

I also wouldn't call five years quickly for a mostly Ecommerce company that only sells one product.
    Most decent private practices will rise faster than that.

I will say this though, marketing.

I willing to bet they spend about 200-1000% more on marketing per pair sold than the majority of private practices.

And they market themselves, thus creating a brand.
    you don't see lux this or E that anywhere on their website.
    You won't even see WP or E in the same sentence, for very good reason.

A totally useless answer. The only hopeful insight you offered was the word "marketing"

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    A totally useless answer. The only hopeful insight you offered was the word "marketing"
    Touché

wait till they are public, then Chris will give you all the info you need.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=ml43;506383]Touché

wait till they are public, then Chris will give you all the info you need.

Why ? How would going public explain what they accomplished before going public ?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    total b.s.
    Fantastic argument B.W.

You've got more than that...
    Fourteen of my family members (including: aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, grandparents...and a great uncle) are, or have been in optical and...that's just crazytown at Christmas

Thread Information