Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The end could be near

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by eeopti View Post

I am not ridiculing those that choose to get licensed. I value education, an have a BA myself. But I also understand its place. Having a degree, certification or license does not automatically make you qualified to do squat. It means you can listen well, absorb information and retain it to pass a test. if there is anyone I am ridiculing it would be the elitist that places themself above a non licensed person, mearly on the stance that they had the time and money to become licensed. There are so many people that HAVE to work. They are supporting families, or don't make enough to put themselves through school. That doesn't mean they are any less dedicated to learning, or have invested less than someone that did go to school. People need to stop assuming that just because a person learns from many years of dedicated work that they are less knowledgeable than someone who goes to school for two years. I have a four year degree. I do not automatically think I am smarter or more qualified than anyone with an AA. That is absurd.
    Let's recap and summarize,

You value experience, you don't value licensure.

what if licensure required experience,

let's call that experience, apprenticeship.

what if it also required a certain knowledge base, let's call it a degree/certification.

Experience is a great thing.
    But x amount of years experience doesn't really mean much anymore.
    especially with the amount of unskilled work that counts as experience these days.
    Sad but true.

I think I understand what you are getting at, it's like people who test well but don't understand, versus those that understand, but test poorly?

Licensure isn't perfect, nothing is, but it's what we have, and it's one of the few things stopping, or at least slowing the progress of corporate America turning this industry into the chaos that is retail :/

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW, if the restrictions are lifted in NC I want to be the first to employ 72 beautiful virgins to "sell" eyeglasses door to door in this and any other state I choose. O.K. ladies get your I-phones and your squares and get ready to fly.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If we are lucky,this will be the end. Of this thread I hope.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionAiry View Post
    I get it, people can be ridiculous and it drives me crazy every day. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose when trying to help them.

Just to be clear you're an OD, in Texas, which doesn't require optician licensing and you support compulsory licensing of opticians? Texas is very competitive and there are plenty of qualified people there that have licenses or similar qualifications. Especially in Houston or any other big city in TX. DALLAS
    You may have missed it but I actually support certification over licensure. I think it is time to help delineate opticals from every other store in the malls, but we have our work cut out for us. We are not served by having such a low bar for obtaining eyewear and contacts, and this concept would be furthered by raising the bar for people in the opticals. Don't get me wrong, I know there are people off the street that in time can understand the industry better than 99% of the others, but it's a numbers game, and putting such crucial responsibilities in the hands of anyone cute enough to catch the eye of a regional manager is a travesty. Same with online sales, which should be banned, IMO.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    Let's recap and summarize,

You value experience, you don't value licensure.

what if licensure required experience,

let's call that experience, apprenticeship.

what if it also required a certain knowledge base, let's call it a degree/certification.

Experience is a great thing.
    But x amount of years experience doesn't really mean much anymore.
    especially with the amount of unskilled work that counts as experience these days.
    Sad but true.

I think I understand what you are getting at, it's like people who test well but don't understand, versus those that understand, but test poorly?

Licensure isn't perfect, nothing is, but it's what we have, and it's one of the few things stopping, or at least slowing the progress of corporate America turning this industry into the chaos that is retail :/
    I think we are getting closer to understanding each other, or rather I at least feel you are attempting to hear what I am trying to say. (Although, I never said I do not value licensure. I do however strongly value expierence.) I think I need a better understanding of your view point. Most people have explained the value of licensure in terms of qualifications, and I do not believe that alone qualifies anyone. I've said this before, but just to reiterate, I have a BA myself and do not see myself more qualified based on that alone. But you bring up a point that it slows corporate America from invading the industry. Can you expand on this?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerclaw View Post
    You may have missed it but I actually support certification over licensure. I think it is time to help delineate opticals from every other store in the malls, but we have our work cut out for us. We are not served by having such a low bar for obtaining eyewear and contacts, and this concept would be furthered by raising the bar for people in the opticals. Don't get me wrong, I know there are people off the street that in time can understand the industry better than 99% of the others, but it's a numbers game, and putting such crucial responsibilities in the hands of anyone cute enough to catch the eye of a regional manager is a travesty. Same with online sales, which should be banned, IMO.
    I see value in what you are saying. However, as a woman in this industry, and a cute one in my own biased opinion, I take slight offense that there is a presumed lack of intelligence based on gender and physical appearance. This is for another thread I am sure. But it's not the first time I saw a comment like this and wanted to address it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    I think we are getting closer to understanding each other, or rather I at least feel you are attempting to hear what I am trying to say. (Although, I never said I do not value licensure. I do however strongly value expierence.) I think I need a better understanding of your view point. Most people have explained the value of licensure in terms of qualifications, and I do not believe that alone qualifies anyone. I've said this before, but just to reiterate, I have a BA myself and do not see myself more qualified based on that alone. But you bring up a point that it slows corporate America from invading the industry. Can you expand on this?
    It was brought up earlier in the thread and many other threads.

Heres a decently short summary:
    chains have found, that employing people from retail, such as Victoria secret or gap boosts sales way more than hiring a licensed optician. Why, because these people know how to sell, and don't spend foreve trying to find out what's best for the patient. They just want to make the sale.

In licensed states, they are required to hire at least one licensed optician to "supervise and train" these people.
    But you still have to answer to several managers, most of which are from retail as well, that don't want to hear about Optics, they want to hear numbers.

Take away licensure, and they will turn over people way faster, and pay way less.
    just like every other (public)retail corporate company, cause money talks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    WOW, if the restrictions are lifted in NC I want to be the first to employ 72 beautiful virgins to "sell" eyeglasses door to door in this and any other state I choose. O.K. ladies get your I-phones and your squares and get ready to fly.
    This is completely offensive. It's people with a mindset like this that perpetuates sexism and the objectification of women. Your attempts to derail an intellectual debate and conversation into something that degrades women is offensive and sad.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    It was brought up earlier in the thread and many other threads.

Heres a decently short summary:
    chains have found, that employing people from retail, such as Victoria secret or gap boosts sales way more than hiring a licensed optician. Why, because these people know how to sell, and don't spend foreve trying to find out what's best for the patient. They just want to make the sale.

In licensed states, they are required to hire at least one licensed optician to "supervise and train" these people.
    But you still have to answer to several managers, most of which are from retail as well, that don't want to hear about Optics, they want to hear numbers.

Take away licensure, and they will turn over people way faster, and pay way less.
    just like every other (public)retail corporate company, cause money talks.
    i get it. Then just make obtaining a license fair and equitable among those with expierence and those with formal education. Seems like we are just making it harder on those who can do the job, and do it well. Expecting a cookie cutter path unjustifiably limits the workforce. For example, be able to "test out" of formal education.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I see value in what you are saying. However, as a woman in this industry, and a cute one in my own biased opinion, I take slight offense that there is a presumed lack of intelligence based on gender and physical appearance. This is for another thread I am sure. But it's not the first time I saw a comment like this and wanted to address it.
    No offense, but you seem easily offended. There was nothing sexist in what I said. What I was saying is a throwback to a few hours ago where we discussed the predatory nature of the hiring practice, especially in the corporate lines. Additionally, I never specified the sex of the manager or the hiree, but rather you inserted your own preconceived notions. Life is too short to go around being a box you check in a demographics field. You are a woman in the optical field. Welcome to being in the majority.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    No offense, but you seem easily offended. There was nothing sexist in what I said. What I was saying is a throwback to a few hours ago where we discussed the predatory nature of the hiring practice, especially in the corporate lines. Additionally, I never specified the sex of the manager or the hiree, but rather you inserted your own preconceived notions. Life is too short to go around being a box you check in a demographics field. You are a woman in the optical field. Welcome to being in the majority.
    I know exactly what you were referencing, and there it was stated that it was women which was why I was addressing it here. I am not easily offended, but that is a typical male response when called out. It's juvenile, but a typical defensive tactic. As for being a woman in the optical field, clearly you mean sales or non licensed professionals. You couldn't possibly mean in positions where there is higher earning potential like licensed opticians and certainly not ODs.

But i digress, because I know this conversation will go nowhere good.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know exactly what you were referencing, and there it was stated that it was women which was why I was addressing it here. I am not easily offended, but that is a typical male response when called out. It's juvenile, but a typical defensive tactic. As for being a woman in the optical field, clearly you mean sales or non licensed professionals. You couldn't possibly mean in positions where there is higher earning potential like licensed opticians and certainly not ODs.

But i digress, because I know this conversation will go nowhere good.
    No, you have a chip on your shoulder, but I know some people live in that bubble, sorry if it's a sore spot. It is also obvious that you are the sexist one here. Is it a "typical male response" to point out your back-to-back posts expressing offense for no reason based on your sex? If so, then you just complimented typical males. Being offended is the juvenile, defensive tactic, so don't project your flaws on me.

As for women in the field, two-thirds of my graduating class was female. When I taught Optics, about 60% of that class was female. What will your excuses be when you can no longer claim minority status?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    No, you have a chip on your shoulder, but I know some people live in that bubble, sorry if it's a sore spot. It is also obvious that you are the sexist one here. Is it a "typical male response" to point out your back-to-back posts expressing offense for no reason based on your sex? If so, then you just complimented typical males. Being offended is the juvenile, defensive tactic, so don't project your flaws on me.

As for women in the field, two-thirds of my graduating class was female. When I taught Optics, about 60% of that class was female. What will your excuses be when you can no longer claim minority status?
    LOL! Ok.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Instead of worrying about the certification of personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

Warby didn't do anything other than point up the reediculous and protected prices that ECPs have enjoyed while selling cheap Chinese goods.

Party's over for that. And about time.

Instead of worrying about the certification of personnel, worry more about the perception of the quality and pricing of the goods you sell.

B
    I just could not resist to import this post from another thread because it hits the nail directly on its head.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it just me, or have you noticed that most here against this post do not identify as Opticians in the first place? Other vendor, optical retail, OD, etc. I may be the only one, but it only reinforces my desire for Opticians to again drive their own development......not those on the outside. ODs did it, and so can we.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Is it just me, or have you noticed that most here against this post do not identify as Opticians in the first place? Other vendor, optical retail, OD, etc. I may be the only one, but it only reinforces my desire for Opticians to again drive their own development......not those on the outside. ODs did it, and so can we.
    Well, you see, its just like this. The OD decided early on in the 1920's - 1930's to get some real education, establish an aggressive legislative agenda and most importantly were, and still are, willing to spend big bucks to buy the politicians who would "play ball." They were also successful in exerting influence on their peers in order to present a unified voice to both the public and the legislators.

Joe optician, on the other hand, did the opposite and now finds himself sucking hind teat. Now that's just my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your opinion is spot on, Mr. Baker, as I have said many times. I just want to see Opticians improve somehow!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Too bad I'm not licensed in Utopia. Besides, the Rx only goes so far in the wrong hands of unqualified opticians/lab.
    This is an OD's or MD's perspective. We are held to high standards. We share patients with you. We want some standards, or we've wasted the patient's time and money and delayed their treatment.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I just could not resist to import this post from another thread because it hits the nail directly on its head.
    That's a crap recap of a crap post, IMO.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drk
    Are u saying Im crap????!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ECPs have done a **** job distinguishing their value from the eyeglass product.
    That's why Warby works

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    ECPs have done a **** job distinguishing their value from the eyeglass product.
    That's why Warby works
    Warby works because millenials like goofy names and buying online because they are broke and ignorant. They are no competition with me because I carry nice frames for nice people. Rolex was not harmed when velcro-strapped LCD watches came out around the 80's. Porsche was not harmed by Saturn or Yugo. Now where are they?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I read this debate it totally saddens me.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Joe optician, on the other hand, did the opposite and now finds himself sucking hind teat. Now that's just my opinion and I am sticking to it.
    I'm offended by the term "Joe optician", because it implies opticians are all men.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Warby works because millenials like goofy names and buying online because they are broke and ignorant. They are no competition with me because I carry nice frames for nice people. Rolex was not harmed when velcro-strapped LCD watches came out around the 80's. Porsche was not harmed by Saturn or Yugo. Now where are they?
    Wow. Just wow...

Thread Information