Thread: unity lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused unity lenses

I am going to be working at an optical that heavily uses unity products, I would like to better understand the various corridor options and when to use them. As an example if my progressive friendly frame has a B of 30 but I only have an o.c of 17mm & assume it's a mild rx with a +2.50 add and that pt wants more intermediate than near what would the best fit be? please keep responses to the fitting issues for unity
    progressives. I know what non unity lenses I would go to, just wondered what others have used in this brand.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard pphillips!

You should be able to get answers from a VSP lab as I assume that will be who you'll be using. I'll see if "VSP online" has anything.

Got it!
    Open Eyefinity
    click lower middle [UNITY] box
    click "Product Portfolio"
    click Unity Progressive Lenses and read on! (13,15,17,19 lengths available)
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-07-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pphillips View Post
    please keep responses to the fitting issues for unity
    progressives.
    This might limit your responses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You may find these .pdf's helpful. Unity unlike some other free forms use their corridor listings as the minimum fitting/corridor length to give the wearer about 5 mm of reading area. So a 13mm corridor fit at 13mm should give the patient 5mm of reading space. Many others use this corridor as the length to get to the reading area or to reach .87 of the add.

http://www.vspopticsgroup.com/pdf/un...ring-chart.pdf
    http://www.vspopticsgroup.com/pdf/un...sell-sheet.pdf
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been wearing the Plxpression & I love it !

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank for sharing your experience, just was wondering are you a first time PAL wearer? If not what other lenses have you worn as a comparison, I have worn zeiss GT2 Shamir Autugraph Definity and Essilor Series S and have always liked the back surface lens design of the Definity, I also did well with the wide visual fields the S design has to offer and many of the patients I worked with did well switching from the definity to the Series S. how does the Plxpression compare to any of these lenses?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've worn PAL's for around 10 years . always wore the comfort and loved it , the last 18 months I've been adventurous !! & I have a pair of Maui Jim's ( I think they use the Shamir autograph 2 ? ) love them .but I don't use them for anything but driving really. It took me a good week to get used to the Plxpression , made me feel nauseous and very disorientated BUT now I love them and they are my go-to spex .. I have just got a pair of Varilux S 4D to see what all the hype is about and I cant really see any difference to the Unity at all..I don't wear any PAL at the computer ALL of them drive me crazy trying to find that right spot. I have a Unity CVx Computer lens in BluTec and it is the best !.. having said that I've never tried any other "task orientated lens"
    to put into perspective my Rx is Rt : -1.75/-0.25 x 30 Lt:-0.75/-0.25 X 170 Add +2.25

Hope this is of a little help
    Jayne

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler575 View Post
    I've worn PAL's for around 10 years . always wore the comfort and loved it , the last 18 months I've been adventurous !! & I have a pair of Maui Jim's ( I think they use the Shamir autograph 2 ? ) love them .but I don't use them for anything but driving really. It took me a good week to get used to the Plxpression , made me feel nauseous and very disorientated BUT now I love them
    Unfortunately a week of nausea and disorientation for a 10 year vet of progressive lenses wouldn't fly with my clients, at all. Glad you like them though!

Thread Information