Thread: Sola Compact Ultra vs. Sola Instinctive vs. Sola One

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sola Compact Ultra vs. Sola Instinctive vs. Sola One

Hi fellow opticians,
    I have a patient with periphery issues. Seg is 17mm. Naturally, I went straight to fit him in into a Sola Compact Ultra.I have dispensed his lenses to him and he immediately noticed that his periphery vision was less than great, which I have to say that is not a new issue I've experienced in dispensing this lens for over two years. I'm aware that adding a little face form wrap has helped to alleviate or at least improve overall periphery vision in the lens, but in this case I don't see that working for him. I was thinking of switching him over to an instinctive or Sola One, I have fitted both of these lenses at 17mm and have experienced great results. I'm assuming that He will probably like SolaOne. In fact many of my first time progressive users are fit into this lens with no issues. I wanted to see what you all thought in regards to improvement of periphery vision i Stay with Compact Ultra or try the Instinctive or Sola One instead

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I had to choose one of those three old designs only for periphery I would choose the Instinctive, I have found it has good periphery and good reading, with a bit rushed (but still useable) in the intermediate area, for the $ it might be the best lens on the market.

The Sola One trades some periphery distortion for better intermediate, I never liked that lens, but thats my experience.

Short fits like the compact ultra ALWAYS will exacerbate distortion issues. Why are you using these lenses? There are digital backside progressisves with almost no peripheral distortion available. What is the patients RX? That matters a lot as well.

Thread Information