Thread: Milling stand alone device

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Milling stand alone device

Is there a stand alone milling device?

Many times a plastic frame will be splayed outwards at the temples because the minus Rx lenses with hide a bevel edging prevent the frame rim from staying in the proper position. The lenses can be hand edged then but the bevel would show.

A stand and alone milling device might preserve the hide a bevel.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What about a dremel ?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I believe you are talking about adding a step bevel or a steeper rear bevel angle?

Both will cause the bevel to be seen from the front.

or are you talking about milling the frame to prevent the splay?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was thinking of maintaining the original hideabevel and angles but simply moving the rear straight part of the bevel backwards (towards the lens center) by about 1 or 2 millimetres relative to the frontside straight side of the hideabevel. I was thinking of modifying a groover to hold the lens while using a guide resting against the front bevel to control the milling.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    pretty sure you are describing a step bevel.

There are newer edgers that do this(me1200, huvitz 8000, Mr Blue, MEI)

By doing the step bevel, you actually need to take off more material than you would if you increased the angle of the rear bevel.
    There by increasing the amount shown when looking from the front.

Also, if the BC of the bevel/lens does not match the BC of the frame, you can take off as much as you want, but the frame will still splay.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If someone is creative and can find a wheel/blade supplier it would be nice to convert a groover into a step bevel handstone.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If any one is familiar with the way a WECO used a drill or milling bit to groove, then that idea could be coupled with a groover to step bevel. The bit would enter the work from the edge of the lens.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Buy and use an ME1200 and match base curves. We cut the correct curve even if the lens does not match so the frame fits properly.

Occupation
    I would not monkey around with regrooving the frame bevel. You are going to screw it up and then get upset when the vendor refuses to replace it. The customer is also going to have an issue with you and may just ruin your whole day. It's a situation best resolved by a knowledgeable optician realizing that lenses (A) will not fit properly into frame (B) and assist the customer in selecting the proper frame for their Rx BEFORE THE SALE IS MADE.

I guess that you can screw around with the lens bevel if it will not interfere with the integrity of the finished pair. But . . .

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dick makes a good point in risk vs reward. I still wish the frame manufactures would just add a few millimeters to the mitered end of the plastic temple to compensate for splay. I'm constantly looking for this temple design but with very little luck. Reps come in these days and right out of the bag you can see any kind of minus is going to be a problem.

Perhaps I'm being nostalgic but even average frames in "the good old days" often erred on the side of being too tight but a quick touch up filing fixed it. Then again that was when zyl was king and injection molding was just taking off. Anyone remember Swan's collection?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Dick makes a good point in risk vs reward. I still wish the frame manufactures would just add a few millimeters to the mitered end of the plastic temple to compensate for splay. I'm constantly looking for this temple design but with very little luck. Reps come in these days and right out of the bag you can see any kind of minus is going to be a problem.

Perhaps I'm being nostalgic but even average frames in "the good old days" often erred on the side of being too tight but a quick touch up filing fixed it. Then again that was when zyl was king and injection molding was just taking off. Anyone remember Swan's collection?
    Also, remember the day when frames came with a multitude if temple lengths and styles and you received the fronts and temples unassembled in separate envelopes. AO temples did indeed have an extra two MM of stock on the hinge end. Sweet.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    AO temples did indeed have an extra two MM of stock on the hinge end. Sweet.
    Real riveted shields and 7bbl hinges that didn't need a spring that gave a false sense of tension, broke after a couple years and hid bad adjustments... Still have my red dot extractor somewhere!

Sorry for the hijack!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    match base curves. We cut the correct curve even if the lens does not match so the frame fits properly.
    Something I wish more labs would do.

Ideal curve, or minimizing edge thickness means nothing if you can't get the frame to stay on the patients head.

Thread Information