Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting glasses suggestions

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Shooting glasses suggestions

Having increase interest in patients wanting shooting specif glasses, I have not made a pair in probably 6-7 years. What are you using for your patients and why? Any recommendations will help.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Frames or lenses?

Indoors or outdoors?

Target or hunting or skeet?

YAAAHHH! I can barely shoot a pea-shooter.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shooters run the gambit, some bring in their own specialty frames, others want something that are multi-purpose. If Rx allows I prefer Trivex, especially with a semi automatic; as the shell ejection trajectory can be sporadic. When possible I implement trial framing. Front site shooting as gained some popularity in my area. A call to some local gun dealers might be in order, talk to them about what their clients are looking for, and ask them for some recommendations that they might have.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Lens wise, I shoot with Bluetech indoor lenses. They will still have a yellow tint, but no where near as bad as traditional shooters.

They sharpen contrast as good if not better than traditional yellow shooters BUT they DON'T change color of the intended target. Great for hunting as you can't afford to not see color correctly. Indoors at the range they are even better still.

Try them side by side as a marksman and you'll see. That's my suggestion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paul is on the right track! Lots of discussion to find out what kind of shooting they are doing. Ask lots of questions from your shooters to get an idea of the different methods and weapons they are using. A lot of folks are headed towards the front sight method, so make sure your lens design reflects that.

As far as brands go, there are a few out there that fall into the "shooting" catagory. WileyX is probably the most advertised of the bunch. I also like Smith Elite, just not quite sure where that ended up in the whole Safilo swap around. Decot makes a couple frames, I often see these brought in by the patient, don't carry them myself. I'm sure there are others as well.

Welcome to Optiboard MJREYES, and good luck with your shooting venture.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    race, I like the color of the BlueTech lens, that's a great idea, but I would be a little cautious of the material. Not designed for impact/shatter resistance as far as I know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What about multifocal wear? Flat top with seg for intermediate to see the sight and top for distance to see the target? Where do you put the seg?
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For older presbyopes, try +.50 to +.75 over the distance Rx for handguns. Use a narrow DBL and fit high.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What is the front-sight method? Focusing on the front-sight and letting the target blur instead of the opposite?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    What is the front-sight method? Focusing on the front-sight and letting the target blur instead of the opposite?
    Exactly. It's a tactical method. Those that shoot rifle targets tend to do the opposite and focus on the target. This is usually through a scope though, so it is focusing for you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a number of guys and gals that are part of a large patrol unit. When they become Presbyopic we have tried a few different ways of fitting, but in the end I usually have them in a Occupational Bifocal with half the add on the upper BF and full Add for the lower BF.

I've also tried to do the Bifocal fit upside down with half the add, but most labs will sound like your half crazed with that idea. I'm sure there are a few independent labs that can/will make these.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a more defensive tactical application, than going to a range a hitting targets. As you rise to shoot, you turn your focus from the target to the front sight.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handgunning-Front-Sight-Correct.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	11921

^^ this is front sighting when done properly. Personally I update my home protection handguns to green rear and red front fiber optics. makes for much easier shooting in low light. On my CCW's I use a Millett's orange-ramp front sight blade.
    Last edited by racethe1320; 04-27-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    race, I like the color of the BlueTech lens, that's a great idea, but I would be a little cautious of the material. Not designed for impact/shatter resistance as far as I know. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    You can get it in polycarbonate and set the thickness of the Rx for 2.5mm lenses which will withstand a load of birdshot from a 12-gauge shotgun blast from 10 meters.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    I have a number of guys and gals that are part of a large patrol unit. When they become Presbyopic we have tried a few different ways of fitting, but in the end I usually have them in a Occupational Bifocal with half the add on the upper BF and full Add for the lower BF. I've also tried to do the Bifocal fit upside down with half the add, but most labs will sound like your half crazed with that idea. I'm sure there are a few independent labs that can/will make these.
    In the past the is what I have done ideally, have you ever fit PALs? I have a few asking for them but really not sure what I would put them into any suggestions. These are exisitng and new presbyops.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    You can get it in polycarbonate and set the thickness of the Rx for 2.5mm lenses which will withstand a load of birdshot from a 12-gauge shotgun blast from 10 meters.
    Was not aware it was available in Poly. I thought it was in only their 1.56 Mid Index???? Which lab do you have it through to get Poly????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MJREYES View Post
    In the past the is what I have done ideally, have you ever fit PALs? I have a few asking for them but really not sure what I would put them into any suggestions. These are exisitng and new presbyops.
    Fitting a prg is fine, especially just recreational shooting. The paitent will have to adjust their posture to get the vision to focus on the sight if they are shooting like above mentioned style. Tactical shooting will have a slightly harder time adjusting, as you want head down, small body effect, rather than raised chin to focus on the intermediate zone of the progressive lens.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The competitive outdoor shooters I've helped in Alaska have purchased a large number of pairs. Tinted across the spectrum. Pink, green, blue, yellow and in various grades.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    "What's this "tactical shooting" stuff? Do you mean "self defense?" Bear in mind that the average defensive hand gun encounter occurs at eight feet. Cripes, Mr. Magoo don't need no stinking glasses at all in this scenario. On the range wear whatever makes you look cool and allows you to get a good sight picture.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some folks shoot for a living rbaker. That is what I refer to as "tactical shooting". Whether it's military, police, or security patrols. Totally agree with your "self defence" comment, a person would not have time to get their "shooting glasses" on for that situation. The range is also not a big deal, my comments have more to do with folks who shoot for a living, there are a few out there.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    "What's this "tactical shooting" stuff? Do you mean "self defense?" Bear in mind that the average defensive hand gun encounter occurs at eight feet. Cripes, Mr. Magoo don't need no stinking glasses at all in this scenario. On the range wear whatever makes you look cool and allows you to get a good sight picture.
    Tactical shooting, trains the individual to react and respond differently. Most people, law enforcement included, train at a range and are not properly equipped to handle a situation where someone is shooting at them. It is well chronicled that many law enforcement officers will expel the rounds in their magazine and fail to reload quickly, if at all. Much of the training is about reacting, replaying a scenario, and repetition, repetition, repetition.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 04-28-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great description Paul!!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I do have a vague idea of the shooting sport. I was on the 2nd Marine Air Wing Combat Pistol Team and competed at the Nationals a Camp Perry in 1962 and 1963.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Tactical shooting, trains the individual to react and respond differently. Most people, law enforcement included, train at a range and are not properly equipped to handle a situation where someone is shooting at them. It is well chronicled that many law enforcement officers will expel the rounds in their clip and fail to reload quickly, if at all. Much of the training is about reacting, replaying a scenario, and repetition, repetition, repetition.
    Oh, I thought it was called a magazine in a pistol, clip in a rifle.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry to offend you rbaker. You had previously asked what "tactical shooting" was. Did not know you where already an expert.

Thread Information