Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: how can this be legal...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

how can this be legal...

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hey, why not. It is legal until some court examines the situation and issues a cease and desist order. It appears to be a portable auto refractor and only tests for refractive error. You will probably have one of these gadgets in your store or near a mall food court near you real soon.

The times, they are a'changing.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so the rx is not finalized until they send it off to one of their network of doctors for approval?

I also love this on their replacement for the lensometer "...Replaces traditional Lensometers: also big, require constant electricity, difficult to use, and don't work on scratched lenses."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just found out how it's legal

"Third, in a short "Terms and Conditions" paragraph, individuals are asked to check a box indicating that they understand that this is not a comprehensive eye exam, what a comprehensive eye exam means and how thats different from what Blink provides, and that a comprehensive exam with an optometrist is recommended every two years. This box must be clicked before vision testing may proceed."

http://www.goblink.co/for-optometrist/

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Revolutionary, amazing noone thought of it before.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    just found out how it's legal

"Third, in a short "Terms and Conditions" paragraph, individuals are asked to check a box indicating that they understand that this is not a comprehensive eye exam, what a comprehensive eye exam means and how thats different from what Blink provides, and that a comprehensive exam with an optometrist is recommended every two years. This box must be clicked before vision testing may proceed."

http://www.goblink.co/for-optometrist/
    As an LDO can't I set one up in my office and have some of my OD friends sign off on the refraction via email or video-chat or whatever. This is interesting. I've heard they have things like this in local malls out in Cali. Not sure how true that is.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blind Leading the Blind.jpg  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore View Post
    As an LDO can't I set one up in my office and have some of my OD friends sign off on the refraction via email or video-chat or whatever. This is interesting. I've heard they have things like this in local malls out in Cali. Not sure how true that is.
    I'm sure you can as long as you don't identify yourself as an practicing OD. I'm sure there's technical jargon they use to find the loop hole in order to do this. I would want to know how they presented this as a business but not a practice. If that makes sense.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Reserving this post for future comments as this is just the tip of what's coming....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore View Post
    https://vimeo.com/117414944

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think this is a great example of disruptive technology. Remember, it is disruptive technology that makes the world better, not worse. We simply need to adapt as technology advances.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "Disruptive technology" is TV dinners instead of healthier food. It's a "+1" in one column and a "-10" in many others.

Occupation
    The most shocking part is the part that people consider this shocking, this is nothing new in medicine.

I considered doing this with an ophthalmologist over 10 years ago and have him sign off on an exam through emailed photos and an eyelogic type refractive system.

I decided I didn't want to start a race
    to the bottom of the barrel, I valued my time and knowledge too much to waste it becoming a fast order taker.
    Last edited by braheem24; 04-23-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does involve a double billing thought. First a payment $75.00 Blink and should you need further examination, your opto visit (full eye exam) adds another $75.00 -$ 150.00 to the cost. Much easier to just go to the opto that is willing to understand that not all people can afford the cost of a full eye exam.

If eye exam costs keep becoming prohibitive, systems like this will start to gain hold in the optical world.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BTW, I think it it a great idea, and can think of many ways it could be used. The one major drawback is finding a foresighted optometrist, willing to be invoved. Thw whole system balances on the optometric world accepting and mbracing this program. No opto no program.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Does involve a double billing thought. First a payment $75.00 Blink and should you need further examination, your opto visit (full eye exam) adds another $75.00 -$ 150.00 to the cost. Much easier to just go to the opto that is willing to understand that not all people can afford the cost of a full eye exam.

If eye exam costs keep becoming prohibitive, systems like this will start to gain hold in the optical world.
    Some offices do offer patients an refraction only visit to obtain an Rx for glasses.

Also lets not overlook the fact that this company adds an additional 25% upcharge every time you use them after the first visit they perform and you do not get a comprehensive eye exam done between visits by them. So if you use them the first time, its $75 bucks. If you call them a second time and didn't get the eye exam done, they ding you for $93.75 after the 25% upcharge
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Price-wise this is not competitive with comprehensive eye-exams by an OD in my city. The practice I'm with charges U&C $60 for a comprehensive eye-exam, I've seen lower. One still has to wait for the "blink OD" to review and sign-off on a refraction. This wouldn't fly in my town.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Sign off is only needed for dispensing.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There are laws coming against this.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    "Smaller government"...why is it when people claim they want less regulation, and the results of less regulation come about, all of a sudden, more regulation is wanted?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Forget the idea that eyeglass optics and buyer satisfaction are based in precise metrics. Vision is forever fluid, and nature has evolved us to adapt.

B

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    More laws to handicap opticians with a license instead of regulating unlicensed activity online?

If that's the priority in which the professional associations see the industry's problems, God help us.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Even the ODs are rermote .....................

Get your digital prescription.
    Our optometrists will prescribe you a fresh prescription for glasses.
    Or, if you have a complication they will refer you to a local optometrist for an in-person
    comprehensive eye exam.

Even the ODs are remote. Interesting, locals only if involved when there are complications.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-26-2015 at 05:07 AM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    What's stopping independent opticals from doing the same thing. Just offer mobile appointments, as well as in person ones.

if the od feels a comprehensive exam is necessary, have them come into your practice rather than a referral.

Plus, they can look at frames at the same time.

Might just be the answer to compete with online rx glasses sales.

if you believe they are the competition.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    "Smaller government"...why is it when people claim they want less regulation, and the results of less regulation come about, all of a sudden, more regulation is wanted?
    Not entirely hypocritical when you consider that these laws would be at the state level, not the federal level. The federal laws are archaic and detrimental to everyone except for a handful of bullies. I always said I believe in government big enough to keep other entities from being bullies without becoming a bully itself.

Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    More laws to handicap opticians with a license instead of regulating unlicensed activity online?

If that's the priority in which the professional associations see the industry's problems, God help us.
    Everything is being targeted, the difference is what can legally be dealt with. It is difficult or impossible to effectively regulate the internet's unethical or unqualified substitutes for cheap and ignorant people. Many of the sellers are from other countries or engaging in interstate commerce, putting them under the jurisdiction of the federal government that seems to favor the cheap and ignorant. State laws are easier to change. Look at 1800-CONTACTS - unethical and often illegal. You think they aren't at the top of most associations' s***-lists? Forums are nice for venting,but it is a little more effective to also write your representatives and file complaints with the FTC. I report 1800 at least once a year, for example.
    Last edited by Tigerclaw; 04-26-2015 at 06:56 AM.

Thread Information