Thread: Does any else charge extra for lenses only?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Does any else charge extra for lenses only?

We just added an appointment fee of $35 for one pair and $50 for more than one pair to be done while they wait. We have not gotten any pushback and actually sold some new frames as a result while they are just keeping the old ones for back up or yard glasses.

Anyone else see this a trend and who charges extra for the work created by using an old vs new frame. Don't forget we also then need to change out the pads and covers while straightening out the results of wearing them for 5 years.

Thoughts?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Nope. If the frame is unusable, I tell them so. However, if you are cleaning, straightening, and changing out pads, then that seems to me to be a reasonable amount. And as long as the patient is told that this is done at their risk in case of breakage.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We are one of the only opticals in our area that will take a POF (patient Owned Frame). We have them sign a waiver releasing liability if the frame is damaged during the mounting process. We have rejected POF in the past if they were too far gone in our optician's opinion. We probably do 1 a month. Lenses and add ons are at full price (no other discounts or bundle prices apply).

We charge $35 for the cutting/edging fee showing the patient what the purchased round lenses look like before the process to place in their frames. In the 6 yrs we have done this I have had 2 patients complain (1 about damage the other about price). Neither complaint was justified based on the waiver and explanation of fees before the sale.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We too have patient sign a waiver when using their own frame. the Opticians use their judgment weather or not the frame is good enough for new lenses, What we do is look to see if the frame is still produced if it is we tell the patient that it is and can buy a new one if it breaks. Not exactly great for profit but gives us a good reputation. IF it is a discontinued frame explain if they get the new lenses and the frame breaks they have a pair of lenses that are useless. They usually get a new frame.

As for lenses only, we don't give as deep of a discount. depending upon insurance.
    Last edited by EyeManDan; 04-11-2015 at 08:54 AM. Reason: adding more

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have for years. I tell my patients there is a cost to edge and mount lenses which can vary depending upon the frame, and I include the cost in the fee for my frames. When cut and fit lenses to their own frames we assess a flat $24 (rather than the hassle of charging different for zyl, nylon groove, inline, drill, etc.) to cover that. I don't charge extra for frame reconditioning, I still do that gratis, though for particularly mangled or disgusting frames I don't think it would be an unreasonable additional fee.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We give no discounts for lenses in POF and usually 20% off a complete pair, so it's often worth it for the patient to get a new frame. Sometimes they pretty much break even.
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We charge £40, which I think is about $60.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We just added an appointment fee of $35 for one pair and $50 for more than one pair to be done while they wait. We have not gotten any pushback and actually sold some new frames as a result while they are just keeping the old ones for back up or yard glasses.

Anyone else see this a trend and who charges extra for the work created by using an old vs new frame. Don't forget we also then need to change out the pads and covers while straightening out the results of wearing them for 5 years.

Thoughts?
    Doing the appointment type arrangement, I can see charging. I don't charge, but tell people when they come in it will be anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours, depends how busy we are. Normally, we can get them out the door within 45 minutes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    So those of you who charge an edging fee (just for the finish edging without pad and temple cover replacement) are you adding the cost of the edging into your frame price? I don't get it, I presume you don't charge a finishing fee on complete pair purchases? Kudos to you for getting the extra revenue! Finishing "fees" are built-in to the lense cost in my office. My COGS on lenses is better than frames.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    So those of you who charge an edging fee (just for the finish edging without pad and temple cover replacement) are you adding the cost of the edging into your frame price? I don't get it, I presume you don't charge a finishing fee on complete pair purchases? Kudos to you for getting the extra revenue! Finishing "fees" are built-in to the lense cost in my office. My COGS on lenses is better than frames.
    Yes I build it into frame prices, and then charge a flat edging fee subsequent years (or if its not my frame). How do you build the price into your lenses? The cost to edge into zyl vs. drill mount is vastly different, and if you charge a separate drill fee then you're getting the same extra revenue, and if you don't charge to cover the increase expense of drilling/grooving/polishing, etc. then you're just giving it away. I adopted this strategy specifically because I want to make the varied piecemeal fees of grooving/drilling/polishing go away and deliver a simple pricing to my patients. Also simpler pricing to my staff so they don't forget to charge this or that, there is only one additional "POF fee" that applies.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    We only charge for edge polish since that is an added feature, not required to glaze the lense into the frame.

Do you finish in-house? If you don't I can see the added fee for POF work.

Good thread, interesting to see how different places/people handle this.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We have been charging a glazing fee for own frames being re-used and also have the patient sign a waiver should the frame break during the process. This is important especially for acetate frames which become brittle over many years of use and they can break when heated up and on lens insertions. There is huge chain here in UK which will simply refuse to do a re-glaze into patients own frame, but then they do sell specs at very cheap price.
    Our policy is to always put the patients own frame via the ultra sonic cleaner and then also change pads if necessary and screws where needed. We make a big thing about this when patient collects to add brownie points on our service.
    Regards,

The Hitman

Always and Independent
    Always Superior
    :cheers:

Thread Information