Thread: What do you think about "bundling" in sales and what is your pricing strategy?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What do you think about "bundling" in sales and what is your pricing strategy?

We're thinking about bundling here but what is the best way to do it and what is the best strategy to employ when selling it?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Depends on the value that you place on it.
    I like the good better best system my self.
    Good:
    Basic lens
    good material
    basic ar

Better:
    Good digital or free form lens
    Better material
    Add on like transition or the like
    good ar

Best
    custom lenses
    best material
    Transition of their choice or a like add on
    Best ar

Give it a discount of some sort. I added transition for free. Showed the savings and it should work well.

I've done it before and it worked well. The problem is we are so used to al'a cart that it may be skiped

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post

We're thinking about bundling here but what is the best way to do it and what is the best strategy to employ when selling it?

Check it all out there is a lot of information on it. Like:

10 Ways Retailers Can Leverage Bundling Of Products To Drive Sales

Bundling allows consumers to benefit from a single, value-oriented purchase of complementary offerings. There’s less confusion with studying (and ordering) several different products at the same time. The consumer can recognize cost savings of as much as 7 to 15 percent over the cost of purchasing the items separately; and the customer might enjoy additional discounts if they purchase larger volumes or more items from a single supplier. Some consumers dislike bundling of the type of services like phone, music, and subscriptions, where they are required to order or receive a minimum that they won’t use to the fullest.

See all of it: --------->
    http://upstreamcommerce.com/blog/2012/04/03/10-ways-retailers-leverage-bundling-products-drive-sales

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    keep it simple.
    don't make it the cheapest possible price for the cheapest product.
    Make it the right product at the right price. Include a good AR.
    I suggest you DO NOT do a good-better-best offer. The bundle is the bundle, all other products remain a la carte as usual, with the usual explanations of benefits.
    The extras like transitions, higher index, over cyl/sph etc... can be listed below

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have tried bundling in the past and not a fan of it. I find it gets confusing to fit the consumer with the right products that they need and present in a simple enough way for them to understand. I find the a la carte works better, that way you can best fill your patents needs and not charge them for stuff they don't need, don't have to worry about substitutions and such. Its creates the custom view to ordering glasses. plus it can kill sales and upgrades possibilities.

Out side of the optical world I am not a fan of bundling either.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    I’m not a fan of bundling. I like to know what I’m buying. Currently the only bundling that we do is with AR on PAL’s. But I understand why you would want to, it can be easier than trying to sell things separately.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bundling fan here. Who doesn't want;

Thinner, lighter lenses
    See better and get better warranty with AR
    A great lens design (digital)

The only thing I un-bundle is Transitions. Once all the benefits are explained, price is given. If that's too much for them, ask them which feature would they like to do without. Virtually all will not want to give up a feature. Much tougher to *add-on* to an order.

Occupation
    Bundling works OK for some products like cars but truly sucks for others like CATV. I am relieved not to have to chose a engine and rear axel ratio and just find a car that I like in the showroom. However I would like an a-la-carte selection on my cable TV. It frosts me to have to pay for stuff like MSNBC and the Portuguese Home Shopping Network.

I an optician business why not offer both. Provide the convenience of bundle/package deals or a-la-carte, whatever the customer wants. How hard can that be.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Count me as another non-fan of bundling. I think you do your patient a much greater service by educating them on the benefits of a wide variety of items. Bundling leads to one-lens-fits-all dispensing and discourages conversations with patients about available options. Maybe for things like kids' packages or sports packages, but for general-use eyewear and sunwear, I'm not a fan.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Bundling is great IMO. If done right it makes things easier for the opticians, the consumer, and the manager/owner. It sets a control that you create and include margins that you set. As a sales manger or owner the stream lined bundling is great, it identifies opportunities effectively and also makes executing strategy much easier.

I always created bundles based on VSP approved products or whatever insurance is your majority. If you dont take insurance than even better. But craft a bundle menu (I called them vision solutions) that you can offer to self pay and then easily calculate for the VSP patient. Of course there are always outlier people/situations but for the cast majority a smart bundling can improve many aspects of an optical business.

I don't really like the good/better/best either. I had two tiers for each vision solution: digital(freeform) or non-digital. I make categories like SV, SV Sun, 1st time prog, Prog Sun, etc...

I accompany the bundle menu with a consultative selling questionnaire which by its design points to a particular vision solution (or two) based on the patients answers. The patient basically sells him/herself and the close rates increase and the 2nd pair sales increase etc...

Thread Information