Thread: help me!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

help me!!

I am trying to find out what progressive lens laser marking is:

<e>

i assume its an essilor, but its not in my identifier book, or my handy sheet ... i tried lens guru but all the page said was "under construction"

any thoughts oh great and wonderful optical world?
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the UK, I'm pretty sure that was an old Essilor lens called the Expert.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's junk. Sell them something better!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's Varilux Panamic, and you can do soooooooooo much better, particularly in the Varilux line.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stop!

Varilux Panamic is optical CRACK. It used to be super hard to take a patient out of. I've had dozens of patients who complained very loudly after being switched. Of course this was about 3-5 years ago since they finally got rid of it around that time. The only thing I found that patients were able to switch into was an ovation, which from there they could go to anything. I know, I have no scientific evidence as to why this happened. Good luck. And I'm sorry, I don't remember what I put them into originally, but it was typically Hoya during that time for where I was working. I eventually just starting going straight to an ovation. I always explained to the patients, they understood, and were always happy after the ovation.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Stop!

Varilux Panamic is optical CRACK. It used to be super hard to take a patient out of. I've had dozens of patients who complained very loudly after being switched. Of course this was about 3-5 years ago since they finally got rid of it around that time. The only thing I found that patients were able to switch into was an ovation, which from there they could go to anything. I know, I have no scientific evidence as to why this happened. Good luck. And I'm sorry, I don't remember what I put them into originally, but it was typically Hoya during that time for where I was working. I eventually just starting going straight to an ovation. I always explained to the patients, they understood, and were always happy after the ovation.
    We have had great luck moving Panamic patients into the Physio and Comfort DRx lines.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and you tell 'em optilady!!

We put her in the physio, she hates it, she has a two monitor work station the panamic works super well for, i'm assuming i can't get that anymore? you say the ovation may be a good one? we put her in a physio and she hates it
    Last edited by becc971; 03-24-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there a reason for not recommending a PC design?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    and you tell 'em optilady!!

We put her in the physio, she hates it, she has a two monitor work station the panamic works super well for, i'm assuming i can't get that anymore? you say the ovation may be a good one? we put her in a physio and she hates it
    I was told by someone here a long time ago that the ovation was the essilor version of the panamic. Kinda like the natural was the comfort...

The panamic has been gone for at least 2-3 years now (I think).

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    2-3 years at least.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Is there a reason for not recommending a PC design?
    unfortunately i wasn't the one who originally sold them, so i'm not sure what the conversation was. this office seems to be overly comfortable with the physio, its their go to lens for EVERYBODY. the first time i sold a definity i got spoken to if that tells you anything.

my thoughts are to recommend a computer lens or the definity, or possibly the ovation if i can get it ... (they only sell the big E here so please don't judge

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ovation is an essilor so you'll be ok

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We usually recommend Essilor Accolade for recovering Panamic users, supposedly the Accolade was the design that Panamic was built upon.

The other design we've found success with is Shamir Spectrum though that's less applicable if your office likes Essilor products.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't buy any of the hype around the accolade. It's what the LC is selling as their in house "AVP", a mid level progressive that is supposed to be on the same level as say a comfort. I have had so many people go from the ovation to the accolade and hate it. I've probably had a conservative 200 patients who went from the ovation to the accolade and I would say easily 30% didn't like it.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't buy any of the hype around the accolade. It's what the LC is selling as their in house "AVP", a mid level progressive that is supposed to be on the same level as say a comfort. I have had so many people go from the ovation to the accolade and hate it. I've probably had a conservative 200 patients who went from the ovation to the accolade and I would say easily 30% didn't like it.
    Bingo. They switched to the Accolade lens design because the ovation was no longer going to be recognized as a premium progressive lens design by insurance companies. But they have no problem jacking up the price of the Varilux lenses to keep people from buying them.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Bingo. They switched to the Accolade lens design because the ovation was no longer going to be recognized as a premium progressive lens design by insurance companies. But they have no problem jacking up the price of the Varilux lenses to keep people from buying them.
    To be fair to LC, my understanding is that Essilor sells Varilux to chains at a much higher rate than to independents. LC's retail on Varilux has to be higher because their cost is higher.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    To be fair to LC, my understanding is that Essilor sells Varilux to chains at a much higher rate than to independents. LC's retail on Varilux has to be higher because their cost is higher.
    LC/Eyemed labs don't process varilux/crizal products in house.

they outsource to an E lab. so their cost is about the same as what a private practice would pay, all expenses considered

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They charge around 700 for a comfort in poly with lc's premium ar. They charge around 1100ish for comfort enhanced with crizal alize. It may even be more. And they only give a 20-25 % discount for the varilux products vs what ever other offers they have in store, which is understandable. My big thing is that is shouldn't cost so much for what's considered more basic now. It goes up to around 1450 for physio enhanced with crizal in maybe a 1.67. I think that's insane.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    They charge around 700 for a comfort in poly with lc's premium ar. They charge around 1100ish for comfort enhanced with crizal alize. It may even be more. And they only give a 20-25 % discount for the varilux products vs what ever other offers they have in store, which is understandable. My big thing is that is shouldn't cost so much for what's considered more basic now. It goes up to around 1450 for physio enhanced with crizal in maybe a 1.67. I think that's insane.
    lol, I hope this isn't a complaint that a chain store is charging more than what others are.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Judy,

I was wondering if you would help me with a situation we just found out about. DPOR is saying that they now require for you to graduate and have finished your apprenticeship before you can take your ABO. My assistant manager graduates in May 2015, he will be taking his Practical exam in August 2015. The only ABO Exam that is available after his graduation in May 2015 is in December 2015. Do you have any suggestions of where he may go to take his ABO before December? We are in Virginia. I've heard of people taking their ABO in other states to test sooner. Do you have any information or guidance for us?

Thank you,
    ICU2020

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know who supplied that information but it is incorrect.
    Here's the pertinent information:
    Opticians

Applicants may take the written (ABO) exam without prior approval from the Board, but cannot practice (or offer to practice) as an optician in the Commonwealth of Virginia until obtaining a Virginia license.
    Applicants must obtain approval from the Board prior to taking the practical exam.

Exam Administrator DPOR Examinations Section
    Frequency and Dates of Exam WRITTEN EXAM (ABO/NCLE)
    Administered four times a year.
    February 14-28, 2015
    May 9-23, 2015
    August 15-29, 2015
    November 7-21, 2015

Visit ABO/NCLE website for registration deadlines.**

PRACTICAL EXAM (opticians & contact lens)
    March 13, 2015
    June 19, 2015
    August 14, 2015
    December 4, 2015

• Candidates will be notified by DPOR of the time and location one month prior to the examination.

Deadline for Application and Fee For the practical exam only, apply to DPOR by:

• February 13, 2015 (for March practical exam)
    • March 19, 2015 (for June practical exam)
    • July 14, 2014 (for August practical exam)
    • September 4, 2015 (for December practical exam)

**If you plan to take both the written and practical exam within the May-June or November-December window, you must apply for BOTH by these DPOR deadlines for the practical exam.
    Exam Fees Application Fee
    $100 (first-time applicants)
    Opticians
    Written and Practical $250
    Written only $225
    Practical only $25
    Re-exam Written $225
    Re-exam Practical $25
    Contact Lens

Written and Practical $250
    Written only $225
    Practical only$25
    Re-exam Written $225
    Re-exam Practical $25
    Exam Locations WRITTEN EXAM conducted at PSI test centers.
    Charlottesville
    Falls Church
    Glen Allen
    McLean
    Richmond
    Roanoke
    Virginia Beach

PRACTICAL EXAM conducted at J. Sergeant Reynolds Community College (Richmond)
    Questions About Exam Scheduling or Registration? Only applicants approved by the Board should contact the DPOR Examinations Section at (804) 367-8544(804) 367-8544 or exams@dpor.virginia.gov.
    Other Questions? View the ABO/NCLE Exam Handbook.
    To obtain an application package or to check on the status of your application, contact the Board's Licensing Section at (804) 367-8509(804) 367-8509.

Bad address email on file lensman78's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    lol, I hope this isn't a complaint that a chain store is charging more than what others are.
    Wow! Those prices are crazy! I haven't sold an Ovation since I left LC.

Patients with Eyemed should fare better than regular retail patients- always try to put them in a Vx Physio, their copay isn't too bad, but they will love you for it if they are coming out of an Ovation.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually put ex panamics in a Auto II or a Physio enhanced if its in a branded design. Basically any newer T type design has worked for me. I don't have the problem others have switching out the panamic. Now panamic to comfort maybe... but Panamic to Auto II or Physio Enhanced (or more likely my house design ) - no problemo!

If she is complaining about her moniters, are you sure that it is not an increase in add/ hence decrease in intermediate utility area of the lens?

Thread Information