Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warby Parker pays for PD's and Adjustments

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get shopping around. My prob is part here and part there. When my car needed fixed, I didn't order the part online and then take it in to the mechanic to have him put it in. I had them do the whole thing. After I helped the patient select the right size, style, and went over everything with fit...I gave her my expertise and she then ordered it online and just had me put the lenses in. I prob spent about an hour with her. An hour of wasted time. The onliner benefited. I lost.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TEdFitz View Post
    Acetone works great...not that I"d ever sink so low...really, really great.
    I know someone who used to do this. Same guy used to take good frames from the Lion's Club bin and edge plano sun lenses in them and sell them for his profit. I have no respect for people who do this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I know someone who used to do this. Same guy used to take good frames from the Lion's Club bin and edge plano sun lenses in them and sell them for his profit. I have no respect for people who do this.
    +1

You know, I think I'm going to go to work for WP as a copywriter. My first commercial is just going to be a series of screenshots of Optiboard with Steve Buscemi reading posts here verbatim. People'll be flocking to the B&M WPs in droves.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my experience, being miffed about providing PDs or showrooming only reinforces the patient's perception that we are trying to rip them off. I definitely have some prescriptions walk out the door and go to Wal Mart, Costco, Warby Parker, Costal, or one of the myriad of other cheap options that our tiny optical couldn't compete with even if we wanted to. I have found the following 3 point 'attack' to be really effective with retaining loyal patients:

1. Service with a smile. Even if they didn't get their glasses from us, I will provide any requested adjustments, repairs, etc. free of charge. In this day and age, many people are really surprised by this level of service. I have made new patients for our office by doing so, and made more business with existing patients.

2. Educate the patient. People don't know a thing about eyeglass technology or frame quality unless I tell them. I recently did a direct comparison of Warby Parker features/cost with the technology that the patient would get from us using her insurance. She bought from us, even though the cost was a bit more.

3. Differentiate our product offerings. Don't sell crappy Comfort progressives or stock SV lenses that patients can get somewhere else cheaper. If I offer premium blue light reducing AR and free form progressives, then I can honestly tell the patient that I am giving them something better then they would get online or at a box store. Obviously this ties back in to education.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboytelemark View Post

1. Service with a smile.

2. Educate the patient.

3. Differentiate our product offerings.
    You are 100% correct. Getting pi$$y with people does not win them over. When someone comes in seeking a PD I (gently) explain to them that that measurement is part of the process in making their glasses. The whole process gives our office the opportunity to enlighten the patient. I explain to them that we want them as patients not customers. Some will stay some will not. But there is no need to get your dander up. Because if you do you are the only one with heart burn, the “shopper” won’t give a damn.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboytelemark View Post
    1. Service with a smile. Even if they didn't get their glasses from us, I will provide any requested adjustments, repairs, etc. free of charge. In this day and age, many people are really surprised by this level of service. I have made new patients for our office by doing so, and made more business with existing patients.

2. Educate the patient. People don't know a thing about eyeglass technology or frame quality unless I tell them. I recently did a direct comparison of Warby Parker features/cost with the technology that the patient would get from us using her insurance. She bought from us, even though the cost was a bit more.

3. Differentiate our product offerings. Don't sell crappy Comfort progressives or stock SV lenses that patients can get somewhere else cheaper. If I offer premium blue light reducing AR and free form progressives, then I can honestly tell the patient that I am giving them something better then they would get online or at a box store. Obviously this ties back in to education.
    I still do this. Patients are happy with their service. Still frustrating when they use my time and knowledge and don't get their products here. (although fortunately it doesn't happen often) I would never ever say anything to a patient. It's all just venting to my fellow optiboarders.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's is nothing crappy about Comfort!!!

Not as advanced a design maybe, but more than satisfactory for mature add wearers.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Woo hoo!

I don't let others define me. I don't give a rat's *** about Warby Parker.

Some of you guys are pathetic. Some onliners make us out to be "greedy middlemen" and encourage theft of service, and you...

...roll...
    ...over...
    ...and...
    ...play...
    ...dead!

"Oh no, drk, I don't want to look "mean"!"
    "Oh no, drk, I don't want to confirm all the terrible things WP said about my profession."
    "On no, drk. I'll just let onliners take my patients. I'll give away free p.d.s and they can showroom me all they want and I'll give them free advice on lens types. Giving opticianry away for free is a great promotion! Maybe they'll buy a cleaning cloth from me, some time."
    Last edited by drk; 03-24-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Conflation alert!

Why did he take the markings off the frame?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    +1

You know, I think I'm going to go to work for WP as a copywriter. My first commercial is just going to be a series of screenshots of Optiboard with Steve Buscemi reading posts here verbatim. People'll be flocking to the B&M WPs in droves.
    Let me help you.

Since some opticians are so worried about being called mean names, I suggest that's your best point of attack.

Why don't you follow the popular trends, and include "-denier" and "-phobe?"

How about: "p.d.-denier?" As in "Why would you even spend time in the presence of a p.d.-denier? Shop at Warpy Barker and heal the planet."

How about: "techno-phobe?" As in "Why would you trust a techno-phobe for your eye wear? Shop at Warpy Barker and join the evolved crowd."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Conflation alert!

Why did he take the markings off the frame?
    So that the patient didn't know what model it was and go look for it elsewhere. He bought cheap frames for $5 each and marked them up to $300 saying they were high end. Took off the China markings. 3 year warranty

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Buying cheap frames and selling them as high-fashion eye wear? Wow. Who would do such a thing?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Woo hoo!

Some of you guys are pathetic. Some onliners make us out to be "greedy middlemen" and encourage theft of service, and you...

...roll...
    ...over...
    ...and...
    ...play...
    ...dead!

"Oh no, drk, I don't want to confirm all the terrible things WP said about my profession."
    "On no, drk. I'll just let onliners take my patients. I'll give away free p.d.s and they can showroom me all they want and I'll give them free advice on lens types. Giving opticianry away for free is a great promotion! Maybe they'll buy a cleaning cloth from me, some time."
    Enough. Really. Please. I've been listening to this garbage for years here now, and I'm fed up with it. You realize that this is a public forum? That "lay" people are reading this RIGHT NOW? Guess what, pal? You ARE confirming what WP says, and WP are the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Buying cheap frames and selling them as high-fashion eye wear? Wow. Who would do such a thing?
    Say it ain't true doc. Folks believe they aren't like those greedy middlemen ophthalmic opticians.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Based on your posts here? You, apparently. You've already confessed to other unethical behavior. Why should anyone trust you not to go the full monty?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm joining the Lion's Club tonight...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm joining the Lion's Club tonight...
    See you there. I hear they serve a mean, pheasant under glasses.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Woo hoo!

...roll...
    ...over...
    ...and...
    ...play...
    ...dead!

Ok, you are angry. I get that, you have every right to be.
    Of course it is frustrating when people are showrooming and expecting free services, no one will deny that. And no one is suggesting that you should give your service away for free.
    I myself get angry at the fact that anyone in my country is allowed to do eye exams and to call themselves an optician, certified or not. I do consider this a devaluation of my profession.

At the start of my career I worked for a discount optical chain, the first of its kind in the Netherlands.
    It sent shockwaves through the optical community. Traditional opticians reacted by ridiculing us or scaring their customers with horror stories about us.
    Even petty acts of sabotage occured, some of our stores had their frontdoor locks glued shut. We were a threat to them, and they reacted as such.

Many of them are gone now, but those who adapted and found new ways to distinguish themselves survived and thrived. They knew that they could never match our prices and started to specialize in products and services we could not provide. The same opportunities have to be found today.

With any luck I will start next month at my new job, in a luxury eyewear store that is thriving. They have a distinct style that attracts a specific group of consumers. People will have to want to go to you, for whatever reason, instead of the internet. A pleasant buying experience will count just as much as the product that is bought, it does matter if the customer likes you! They have so many other options to choose from.

So, by all means, be angry. As long as it stimulates you to find creative ways to survive in this market. Being cynical on the other hand leads only to apathy.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The glasses they purchase on-line will not fit properly ...................

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post

So, by all means, be angry. As long as it stimulates you to find creative ways to survive in this market. Being cynical on the other hand leads only to apathy.

There were days when the professional opticians made good money and the online businesses are working hard to by-pass them.

This seems to be the new way, like a few days ago when "Office Max", (belonging to Walmart), purchased the chain of "Office Depot". The latest news is now that they are going to close the Office Max stores.

Dirk is right. The optical retail trade is not and has never been a cartel who could decide what is good for them, and then enforce it.

The online optical will win this commercial war, if opticians do not smarten up and learn how to win over again.

Opticians will have to win and get their customer/patients back into their stores. The glasses they purchase on-line will not fit properly, have not been checked against the Rx. Opticians should offer that service against a fee, of whatever they decide is right. Opticians should make their customers depending on them.

I am just waiting the hear that on-line optical s will open stores or kiosks which will service their delivered glasses against a coupon, pre-paid at the time of purchase.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The bottom line is that there is nothing, nothing that we can do about online retailers except give outstanding patient service. If price is the issue make sure that you offer less expensive options. If style is an issue make sure that you have the latest up to date fashions. This newer generation is far different from us. I would NEVER consider buying shoes that I have not first tried on, my 17 year old daughter never goes to the shoe store. Times and people have changed. Change with it or retire.
    Paul:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post

I would NEVER consider buying shoes that I have not first tried on, my 17 year old daughter never goes to the shoe store. Times and people have changed. Change with it or retire.
    I run across this published article :

Why the eyewear industry is an incredible rip-off

I recently wentshopping for no-line progressive bifocals in small oval metal frames. Namebrands mean nothing to me. Price does. My high astigmatism and need forbifocals disqualify me from those buy-one-get-one-free deals, which almostalways involve only single-vision specs.
    In store after store, megachains and optical boutiquesalike, small oval metal frames fitted with lenses matching my prescriptionstarted at $300. One popular shop quoted me $582 for the lenses alone.
    I bought a pair of no-line progressive bifocals in small ovalmetal frames for $44 online. I’m wearing them right now.

Continue reading it is a long story:
    ------------------>

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/w...dible-rip-off/

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I run across this published article :

Why the eyewear industry is an incredible rip-off

I recently wentshopping for no-line progressive bifocals in small oval metal frames. Namebrands mean nothing to me. Price does. My high astigmatism and need forbifocals disqualify me from those buy-one-get-one-free deals, which almostalways involve only single-vision specs.
    In store after store, megachains and optical boutiquesalike, small oval metal frames fitted with lenses matching my prescriptionstarted at $300. One popular shop quoted me $582 for the lenses alone.
    I bought a pair of no-line progressive bifocals in small ovalmetal frames for $44 online. I’m wearing them right now.

Continue reading it is a long story:
    ------------------>

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/w...dible-rip-off/
    See Sturgeon's Law, especially when applied to the internet.

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/246938

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The online optical will win this commercial war, if opticians do not smarten up and learn how to win over again.
    The war is between Online and commercial optics. Private offices will retain their majority market.

The glasses they purchase on-line will not fit properly, have not been checked against the Rx. Opticians should offer that service against a fee, of whatever they decide is right. Opticians should make their customers depending on them.
    I'm not their eyeglass checkin' boy.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The prudent optician would take advantage of these situations, educate the misinformed consumer about these on line entities, explain the differences between the products, along with the level of care that you provide. Charge what you feel is fair; provided the adjustments you make will hold. Or send them to a WP B&M.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Ok, you are angry. I get that, you have every right to be.

Good advice.

I like to think of my frame of mind as "righteous indignation", however. It's my job, as an optometrist--a vision care professional--to "own" the eye care delivery system.

In the best of worlds, "businessmen" don't run health care, capitalism notwithstanding. Doctors do. Or, better yet, professionals do. We're supposed to be working for the patient first, and a reasonable fee second. It's not that antiquated, yet, so I'm sure you'll understand. It's sort of like what politicians are supposed to do...serve their constituents with honor...I doubt they'd starve doing so.

I'm sure you understand that I'm not worried about losing revenue. I'm worried about our vision care system being flushed down to (sorry if not p.c.) "third-world" status, which is what the businessmen want.

They are happy to sell the health care system piecemeal for a short-term buck. (And it doesn't just stop at vision care, mind you.)
    Last edited by drk; 03-26-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    eyeglass checkin' boy
    I really, really like that. Step to it, eyeglass checkin' boy.

Thread Information