Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Warby Parker pays for PD's and Adjustments

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Here I thought it was safe to be sarcastic...
    heh, I knew you were being sarcastic. I think most rational people would realize that, however there are apparently millions and millions of consumers out there that would read that post and think, BY GOD HE'S RIGHT! That's probably why giant global investment groups have funded WP with more than 100 million dollars. Could work out to be about a buck an idiot.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can order a suit online for $50, or I can spend $500 at Nordstrom. There are a gazillion options inbetween. Difference? Quality, service, brand, location, convenience. Whether we like it or not, the same goes for every industry, including optical. Find your niche, and be the best in your niche. Quit whining about new niches.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    And that is exactly why retail dispensers are losing business and will soon be completely irrelevant in the upcoming future.

No one wants to spend money on a service that literally requires a ruler. Absolutely no one wants to spend an extra $300-500 for a pair of glasses you can literally buy on the internet for $20-100. Not to mention superior and relevant styles, ease of purchase, etc, etc.

The only relevant thing left for professionals is, you guess it, using your education to give out proper eye exams, prescriptions and acting like a professional. Refusing to give out PDs (or charging extra for them in a normal eye exam) only justifies peoples perception of you trying to rip them off; which you absolutely are. To think anyone will buy a product that is literally marked up by 500% is mind boggling.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are you even talking about triggerintensifies when you say "and that is exactly why"? The services provided at a shop like mine are far beyond a "ruler". A piece of wood is cheap, a cabinet is expensive, is the wood marked up 1000 times? My relevance goes far beyond that and I am sad that you have never experienced the level of care and attention a patient/client gets at an office like mine, not to mention the upkeep and care of the spectacles post purchase. Nobody ever feels ripped off by me.

What field are you in that you are filled with such disdain for other dispensers? (I feel plenty of disdain towards some others in my field often as well, tbh.)

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would love to be able to mark up frames and lenses 500%.

My question to you trigger is this, when you go and purchase your glasses online and wind up having issues with the glasses, who are you going to go see? The online retailer that sold you the glasses or the office that provided you the prescription?
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    I would love to be able to mark up frames and lenses 500%.

My question to you trigger is this, when you go and purchase your glasses online and wind up having issues with the glasses, who are you going to go see? The online retailer that sold you the glasses or the office that provided you the prescription?

game blouses *prince voice*

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The Online Optical Industry is on a Fast Trac

The Online Optical Industry is on a Fast Trac

Global online optical retail* (in € billions)

As a percentage of the total optical retail industry

see all of it: http://www.essilor.com/en/Investors/...y_25062014.pdf

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerintensifies View Post
    And that is exactly why retail dispensers are losing business and will soon be completely irrelevant in the upcoming future.

No one wants to spend money on a service that literally requires a ruler. Absolutely no one wants to spend an extra $300-500 for a pair of glasses you can literally buy on the internet for $20-100. Not to mention superior and relevant styles, ease of purchase, etc, etc.

The only relevant thing left for professionals is, you guess it, using your education to give out proper eye exams, prescriptions and acting like a professional. Refusing to give out PDs (or charging extra for them in a normal eye exam) only justifies peoples perception of you trying to rip them off; which you absolutely are. To think anyone will buy a product that is literally marked up by 500% is mind boggling.
    pretty sure this is a consumer that just finished watching 60 minutes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

really? you mean I am charging consumers 6X my cost?? so if i have a rayban frame on my board at $150, you think i pay $25? ( that is a 500% markup).
    So if we look at the books of most any optician, we will see a COGS of 16%? 84% margins? Wow. Not in my part of the world bro.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

As per the forum rules you agreed to when you registered:

"This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are not allowed to post on the Board, although they can read posts and search topics."

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    " Absolutely no one wants to spend an extra $300-500 for a pair of glasses you can literally buy on the internet for $20-100. Not to mention superior and relevant styles, ease of purchase, etc, etc."

What are you talking about....Show me a pair of glasses purchased on line for $100 and the identical pair at an optician for $500. You can buy glasses online for $500 and get glasses at an optician for $100. Please don't make ridiculous comments which have no basis in reality. I know of opticians selling 2 pairs for $69 in a store. I've seen online sites selling at much higher than what I can offer a smart consumer.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper So, by all means, be angry.....................................

Thread of the past that is most interesting .........................

Originally posted nearly 4 years ago ......................

Originally Posted by Dirk=03-26-2015, 09:11 AM

So, by all means, be angry. As long as it stimulates you to find creative ways to survive in this market. Being cynical on the other hand leads only to apathy.

There were days when the professional opticians made good money and the online businesses are working hard to by-pass them.

This seems to be the new way, like a few days ago when "Office Max", (belonging to Walmart), purchased the chain of "Office Depot". The latest news is now that they are going to close the Office Max stores.

Dirk is right. The optical retail trade is not and has never been a cartel who could decide what is good for them, and then enforce it.

The online optical will win this commercial war, if opticians do not smarten up and learn how to win over again.

Opticians will have to win and get their customer/patients back into their stores. The glasses they purchase on-line will not fit properly, have not been checked against the Rx. Opticians should offer that service against a fee, of whatever they decide is right. Opticians should make their customers depending on them.

I am just waiting the hear that on-line optical s will open stores or kiosks which will service their delivered glasses against a coupon, pre-paid at the time of purchase.

Thread Information