Insurance programs have created an awkward situation for both providors and purchasers to work around. Our practice does not treat folks any differently if we are being reimbursed through insurance proceeds or if the patient is paying out of their pocket. However, it always seems that folks don't want to tell us they have insurance until we confirm a price.

Although we have eyewear packages which are discounted with frame, lenses, and options purchases we can not afford to extend both the package discount and insurance discount. We therefore have a policy where only one discount applies. Although this is posted on the package price list we continually have folks coming back for dispensing with their insurance card and saying "OH BY THE WAY I have insurance which covers my eyewear purchase" Unfortunately, this causes everyone to march to the beat of a different drum as they find out it does not necessarily lower the cost of their eyewear and we have to void the sale and are blessed with more insurance paperwork.

My problem with asking if they have insurance before working up a price is many people that actually don't have coverage believe they do or hope they may get lucky to find out they do and expect us to find out. This creates additional time during the sale and even a long wait on the telephone before we even connect with some companies. Then after giving the appropriate information we get a pleasant "SORRY CHARLIE" explanation from a representative indicating no coverage.

I believe there is a happy medium which will enable a mutual benefit of everyone involved.

Thoughts Appreciated

Kevin