Thread: polycarbonate AR lenses scratches

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

polycarbonate AR lenses scratches

Just got off work today I had lenses that I had to redo again coz off AR scratches I put tape front and back on lenses I clean lenses with microfiber rags I wonder why I get scratches I work with optironic edger any advice guys?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They are defective lenses. Return them for credit and so your supplier/manufacturer can look at the problem and find a solution or cause. It's not your fault when lenses can't survive your "industry standard" processing as you have described. Chuck pressure, check. Protective tape, check. Lenses still scratched, bad sub coating or A/R coating. If your supplier does not back you up, you are using the wrong supplier.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteoptician View Post
    Just got off work today I had lenses that I had to redo again coz off AR scratches I put tape front and back on lenses I clean lenses with microfiber rags I wonder why I get scratches I work with optironic edger any advice guys?
    Why would you want to wear the worse lens material on the planet? It's simple, go into anything but poly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    scratches or the center of minus lenses is marked from the scratch coat cracking?
    Scratches you can feel with your nail.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    It's scratches

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Why would you want to wear the worse lens material on the planet? It's simple, go into anything but poly.
    The fact that they are polycarbonate does not have anything to do with the scratches appearing... could happen in absolutely any material.

Quote Originally Posted by cuteoptician View Post
    It's scratches
    So are the scratches (if you are SURE they are not stress cracks) behind the chuck/block? Or are they anywhere on the lens?) Did it happen on both lenses? Does it happen often?

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Double check your chuck and block. Double check your pressure setting on your edger.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Oh fer crying in a bucket, we all have to cut poly jobs every day. If it's what the customer ordered. Let's focus on the actual question. Agree with Speed, return as defective.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    The fact that they are polycarbonate does not have anything to do with the scratches appearing... could happen in absolutely any material.

So are the scratches (if you are SURE they are not stress cracks) behind the chuck/block? Or are they anywhere on the lens?) Did it happen on both lenses? Does it happen often?
    The ones we were having trouble with were polys. The manufacturer made good on them. I believe they were trying some difference process. One of the biggest difference between poly and CR39 is that you can't sell uncoated poly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    You mentioned in another post you are using an "AR pen" Make sure the marking ink is water soluble and pen is not metallic like color..when dried the dots and markings from pen can act like paint chips and scratch lens as you try to remove

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Polycarbonate is a softer material. Unlike a basic plastic lens, polycarbonate lenses are impact resistant. The reason for this is because they are softer to absorb the shock. Polycarbonate lenses scratch all the time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RICKEY SALAS View Post
    Polycarbonate is a softer material. Unlike a basic plastic lens, polycarbonate lenses are impact resistant. The reason for this is because they are softer to absorb the shock. Polycarbonate lenses scratch all the time.
    That's what I thought. Surely if you're using a softer base material, scratches would be more likely.

Tallboy, are you saying that poly shouldn't scratch more easily than other materials?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    Tallboy, are you saying that poly shouldn't scratch more easily than other materials?
    We aren't talking about the substrate being gouged or scraped through, The AR layer is scratching, This can happen even on glass lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    We aren't talking about the substrate being gouged or scraped through, The AR layer is scratching, This can happen even on glass lenses.
    I was under the impression that the substrate can make a difference to the durability of the coating. I would like more info on this, because I can't remember where I learnt it! :/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When it comes to crazing from lens flexing poly is definitely the main culprit there (or rather poor edging, mounting or center thickness) . Scratches and delaminations in my experience are the result of coating failure or customer "user error"

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

FEATURES AND BENEFITS

VISION-EASE LENS POLYCARBONATE LENSES WITH TEGRA SCRATCH-RESISTANT COATING.

Safer:
    They are over 10 times more impact resistant than plastic lenses protecting your eyes from the unexpected. They can withstand the impact of a 135 MPH baseball without shattering.
    Thinner:
    They are 50% thinner than plastic for a slimmer, more attractive profile.
    Lighter:
    Tired of glasses that slide down your nose? Polycarbonate lenses with Tegra Scratch-Coat are 50% lighter than plastic lenses for more comfortable eyewear that stays put.
    More Scratch Resistant:
    Polycarbonate lenses with Tegra Scratch-Resistant coating makes them six times more scratch resistant than plastic lenses for long-lasting durability at a great value.
    Superior UV Protection:
    Vision-Ease Lens polycarbonate lenses block 100% of the sun’s harmful rays to protect your eyes outdoors.

From the former sponsor of OptiBoard's website:
    https://www.vision-ease.com/home/con...-benefits.aspx

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

More Scratch Resistant:
    Polycarbonate lenses with Tegra Scratch-Resistant coating makes them six times more scratch resistant than UNCOATED plastic lenses for long-lasting durability at a great value.
    Just amended that slightly over-enthusiastic claim.

I was looking for a proper comparison, I know that coated poly is more 'scratch-resistant' than uncoated CR-39 (which is what I assume the above meant by 'plastic'.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post

Just amended that slightly over-enthusiastic claim.

I was looking for a proper comparison, I know that coated poly is more 'scratch-resistant' than uncoated CR-39 (which is what I assume the above meant by 'plastic'.

You did the right thing. I am fully with you, CR39 should not be called "just plastic".

The first plastic lens I ever came across as a young guy was the in the UK made "Igard" which where so soft that we had to polish them all the time by hand.

I just copied the text from the Vision Ease website the way it came. Vision Ease is a good company and their staff is very friendly.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One thing to note as well is that for poly we should only be using a premium AR that's going to add to the scratch resistance. A standard AR won't make for a happy pt if they're looking for both impact resistance as well as scratch resistance

Thread Information