Thread: Independent Opticians - Do you have to buy Professional Liability Insurance?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Independent Opticians - Do you have to buy Professional Liability Insurance?

Independent owned opticians...
    Do you know if its required to purchase Professional Liability Insurance? I have the Liability Insurance only.

If you do have Professional Liability Insurance, can you let me know how much it cost?

Please advise. Thanks.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I would gladly give you my opinion here but I am afraid of my legal exposure if I gave you the wrong answer and you hauled my sorry butt into court. I dropped my professional liability insurance when I retired. Why don't you direct this question to your insurance broker.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I would gladly give you my opinion here but I am afraid of my legal exposure if I gave you the wrong answer and you hauled my sorry butt into court. I dropped my professional liability insurance when I retired. Why don't you direct this question to your insurance broker.
    I am in the process of applying to accept Medi-cal (State Program in CA), and they said I am required to have professional liability insurance.

OH and dont worry, I wont take you to court for wrong information LOL...

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just me thinking and by no means it should be taken for gospel, but anytime you are either required to have a license to work in a state or are going to be as an insurance provider, I would think professional liability insurance would be an automatic given. (Again, just my way of thinking).
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optician2601 View Post
    If you do have Professional Liability Insurance, can you let me know how much it cost? Please advise. Thanks.
    Here in Canada, $1,000,000.00 (1M) 'Errors & Omissions' (E&O) liability insurance is mandatory for every licensed Optician, and our national OAC association used to charge $75/yr for $1M coverage, $95/yr for $3M coverage and $105/yr for $5M E&O coverage. Actuaries are insurance professionals that determine the level of risk in insurance to determine insurance premium rates, and they have determined that risk to the public from Optician E&O is virtually non-existant. This year in Canada, $1M E&O coverage is included at no charge in the $125.00 annual QAC membership fee.
    However, everyone knows that USA is a highly litigous country, so I expect your annual E&O premiums will be much higher.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Just me thinking and by no means it should be taken for gospel, but anytime you are either required to have a license to work in a state or are going to be as an insurance provider, I would think professional liability insurance would be an automatic given. (Again, just my way of thinking).
    I do take lots of insurances, and non have ever asked for professional liability insurance. ONLY General Liability.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had E/O professional insurance long before I ever took a third party plan. We have a $5 million policy for each office, and while I really don't know what the cost is, I can tell you it's worth every penny. I've got too much invested in my business to risk it to unnecessary exposure.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I had E/O professional insurance long before I ever took a third party plan. We have a $5 million policy for each office, and while I really don't know what the cost is, I can tell you it's worth every penny. I've got too much invested in my business to risk it to unnecessary exposure.
    And, in todays litigious society anyone can sue you for just about anything, (lenses too dark causing me to fall off a bar stool.) You might also find a good lawyer before you need him/her just be sure that they are not under indictment or running for political office. Also, it is spring time and most attorneys are looking to upgrade their boats so legal fees will be on the high side.

But, hey, what me worry!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just found out, you can purchase professional liability insurance for opticians at Lockton_ins.com
    This is recommended by the AOA Insurance Alliance. They transferred me to an Allied Department.
    Minimum coverage $100,000/$300,000 is $230+transaction fee.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I use cover advantage liability insurance, i find them very affordable than the other one that I have googled and has a
    great services and reliable advice. http://coveradvantage.ca/

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have it, and take no vision insurances. I would not want to operate without it.

Thread Information