Thread: Eyewear fitting versus adjustment

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyewear fitting versus adjustment

For years, I have performed," eyewear fitting", for my clients and continue to adjust said eyewear throughout the life of the frame. Lately, it has become increasingly requested that I, "adjust", outside eyewear that has never been fitted to the individual. I am curious to learn how many of us ECP's differentiate a "fitting" from an "adjustment" and how many of us are charging for each service, for product purchased elsewhere.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it's a minor tweak (adjustment) I may not charge or I may charge $5. If it's major (fitting) it'll be $5-15 depending on the situation, and my mood. If I'm in a really good mood it may be $20. Never a charge for glasses purchased from me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, I'm asked. And I state the fee. Often I hear "But it's a simple adjustment!" I respond by turning around, clicking on the frame warmer, and stating: " OK. Here, I've turned on the frame warmer. If it's so simple, go for it!"

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you don't charge then you are telling clientele the value of your education, experience and services.

If you do charge then you are telling clientele the value of your education,experience and services.

What are yours worth ?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Oh, I'm asked. And I state the fee. Often I hear "But it's a simple adjustment!" I respond by turning around, clicking on the frame warmer, and stating: " OK. Here, I've turned on the frame warmer. If it's so simple, go for it!"

B
    Love it.

I liken this to having a patient stick themselves with a needle or cath themselves.

It is easy, but you still pay others to do it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are in a true retail setting and we charge a $10-$20 donation to Make A Wish; we raise over $10,000 per year doing this for local charities. We do reserve the right to say sorry but it is "gross" and time for new glasses, so no we can't fix or adjust.
    Some of our clients think they get a lifetime of repairs and notepads for free; that is not the case.

Charity makes it a win-win with less pressure on either party. Many put in more and do become clients eventually, but we do not work for free.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the patient bought the glasses from our office, we will not charge them. If the glasses were not purchased from us, there is a charge for the adjustment and additional charge if we have to replace anything (nosepads, screws, temple covers, rimless cord, etc). All of this is discussed with the patient prior to any service performed and must be agreed upon before we do anything.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You must have an over abundance of customers to alienate them to your business. An adjustment is free, if you need parts then I charge you for the parts. It makes a lot more sense to impress the possible future customer with your excellent skills at no charge; they will have a memorable experience of you and be much more likely to make a purchase in the future. Going over and above expectations is much better than failing to meet them. My family has owned multiple locations for a long time and this practice has paid dividends for us. Positive word of mouth is the best advertising you can get and it's FREE!

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to charge someone because they didn't get their glasses from us, so I am not really alienating a lot of business. And those who do come in are grateful that we adjust or repair their glasses because other places would not do it out of spite because they were not purchased at their particular office or store.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it gets to the point that this becomes prevalent, I will begin charging. Until then I make sure people know they are NEVER charged extra for eyewear purchased here, however I haven't laid down the law on a regular fee for outside eyewear.

I would do so for sure though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great, it seems to me that most of us are charging for adjustments made to outside frames. Barry, I love the approach and I am quite sure that you invite the customer to adjust their frame in a most welcoming manner, perhaps a sly knowing smile. How many have taken you up on that. Craig, I think that your policy is a brilliant, it demonstrates to the community at large that you take pride in helping others less fortunate. It is also another way to advertise your business. Now to the heart of the matter, how many of us differentiate an eyewear fitting from an adjustment.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dont you love it, when you attempt to accommodate a walk in adjustment...you will not charge in YOUR mind,because you sized them up to be a local walking distance resident ...(simple zyl tightening)..or you think it will be a simple thing
    then they start to get ultra ultra fussy...make them higher here, looser there...and this now become a fifteen minute ordeal
    this happens all the time
    maybe i should discuss a fee prior to the adjustment

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Adjustment fee: $10-$25, depending on what has to be done.

Waive the fee at your discretion, especially if first time in. BUT state the fee!

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    how do you feel about a extremely misaligned 3 pc mount?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    we are in a true retail setting and we charge a $10-$20 donation to make a wish; we raise over $10,000 per year doing this for local charities.
    i love this!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    By my definition, that may very well constitute a frame fitting, especially if we are taking about a progressive lens design. Lately, I have been trouble shooting, product from C---co, they do not fit the frame, Rx, or lens design to the patient. The member picks out the frame they like, the ECP takes an IPD, MFH is applied, the lenses are cut and edged and the member collects their glasses and off they go. When those folks make it to me with their issues and complaints I am put into the position (good,bad,or indifferent) of explaining to them the correct manner of how a properly made pair of glasses should be executed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I eat adjusting 3 pc rimless for breakfast. Even if I did not make them.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I eat adjusting 3 pc rimless for breakfast. Even if I did not make them.

B
    Is this how you maintain your svelte Silhouette

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not so svelte.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    We get sent these repairs by everyone in the area! We love them because we charge a donation of up to $50 if it is a total re-build and as they wait we sell them a Lindberg, Fred, Tag Heuer or Maybach.

We take great pride in turning a repair in to a client and this is a significant part of our business and how we survive in the retail/medical world we live in.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    For years, I have performed," eyewear fitting", for my clients and continue to adjust said eyewear throughout the life of the frame. Lately, it has become increasingly requested that I, "adjust", outside eyewear that has never been fitted to the individual. I am curious to learn how many of us ECP's differentiate a "fitting" from an "adjustment" and how many of us are charging for each service, for product purchased elsewhere.
    ONE of the reasons that our profession is in the position it's in is because we stopped charging for services we provide like frame fittings and adjustments. We relied on the materials to make us the money and then, corporate opticals came along, OD's and OMD's started opening large dispensaries, and things have gone WAY downhill. I believe patients should be charged a reasonable amount for fittings and adjustments. No other profession gives their services away on a daily basis like we do.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After forty years in the business, I still despise working for free. I am astounded opticians don't value their trade. Friends and family, yes. Other optician's work, I quote based on the work. Filthy stuff: More. If folks balk, I ask if THEY work for free..! I am PLENTY busy...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B
    Not about a fee, but a quick story of being told how to do an adjustment by a difficult Lady. I finally put 3 pair of pliers in front of her , and said, you seem to know how to do it as you keep telling me how. So here, do it yourself, and got up and walked away.

Thread Information