Thread: NC State Board, what equipment can you bring?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NC State Board, what equipment can you bring?

When I took my boards, the state board sent a letter that said I could bring my own lens clock, calipers, lensometer, and slide rule (!)

I DID bring all these things and I did so because I knew they were in perfect calibration. I was "encouraged" at the door to use the state supplied equipment, but merely pointed to the letter where it clearly said I had the right to bring my own. The examiner chose not to argue with me and let me use what I brought.

Does anyone know if bringing your own equipment is still allowed?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it was indicated in the letter they provided, why would it be a concern?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shouldn't be a concern. However, when I took the boards I brought the actual letter and pointed out where it says we are allowed to bring certain equipment. It was only at that point that the proctor backed down and let me use my own lens clock, calipers, etc. And, yes, my own lensometer.

This is the letter I received when I took the boards. If a slide rule is allowed, the letter clearly has not been changed since sometime back in the 70s.

I'm asking if anyone knows if the conditions have changed? Are test takers still allowed to bring their own equipment? When I called the State Board back in 2011, the response was that bringing own equipment is unusual and discouraged because the test is designed to demonstrate that the person who passes it can use any lab equipment that is supplied. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	letter.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	11776

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doesn't the State Board have bigger things to worry about right now, instead of harassing someone for following their written rules for taking the board. Sheesh....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm asking because an apprentice is taking the test for the second time. The first time, he was told he was not allowed to bring his own equipment. He gave in and used the supplied equipment. Failed lensometry. He's been in the business over 10 years, so I find this failure a little unsettling. It clearly says on the letter, test takers are permitted to bring...well, read it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Question answered: The apprentice sent me a copy of HIS letter. It is the same as mine. Test takers are allowed to bring their own calipers, lens clock, and lensometer (caveat to the lensometer, test-taker has to have it "verified" by State Board first.)

Thread Information