Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
One of the biggest issues I personally have with FYI is that they are becoming what they are fundamentally against. From their website:

The group was concerned about recent signs and trends – including increasing consolidation within the optical industry - they interpreted as threatening to the future of independent optometry.

They're different from a buying group from the perspective that you don't sell your practice to a buying group or have a buying group re-model your store to fit their corporate identity. Whtether it's FYI or a Eyerecommend or a buying group they all seem to me like Hail Mary passes for practices that are ineffective businesses that lack vision and creativity. Did that sound too harsh? :)

I don't believe the days of the neighbourhood independent are over. Far from it, actually and I work for one myself and we're really good. It doesn't matter if you have an edger or not.
Great post.

They've created their own vertically integrated protective bubble. It's not difficult to do, but requires substantial capital. These types of companies like to control their own destiny. If we all had that type of capital, I'm sure we would be doing close to the same.

I personally know a ton of independent ECP's; the business savvy ones are doing fantastic, some with sales up to $100K per month because they think ahead, adapt to change and work with their vendors, including me. They view me as a business partner, not a supplier and we help each other.

Alternatively, the ones that sit by the sidelines that think they're business savvy but are from it and always complain yet do nothing about it are hurting and most likely will not survive.

I gravitate toward successful business owners and the time and pricing I invest in them pays dividends for both sides. I refuse to provide my services and expertise to any individual where all they care about is the lowest price - complete waste of time for me since they have no business sense or view of the big picture.