Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyemed Labs!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Eyemed Labs!

Quick question that I hope has a positive answer.

We have been noticing that our lab quality has been in on a perpetual down slope. It is to the point where we are sending back the majority of our jobs. We have found a lab where we are happy with our VSP and private pays, but we are getting extremely frustrated with our eyemed work. We had the lab ask us to ignore the peripheral scratches if they are not to bad (true story). If we were trying to compete with the discount shops of the world it would be one thing, but we are not. The patients pay for a higher quality product and we are happy to do the same.

I am sure there are opticians on here that only accept the highest of standards from their labs and also take Eyemed. To these opticians where do you get your work done? We prefer "independent" labs, but quality just is not what it used to be.
    Last edited by Jstanfast; 02-24-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm trying to suppress the laughter.

Let me get this straight...EyeMed comes to a Medicare Advantage Plan and tricks us out for peanuts. EyeMed comes to an employer and undersells all other vision care plans to get the contract knowing they'll drive people into Luxottica Retail and sell them Featherwates...

...and EyeMed and Essilor decide to have a bromance such that (for reasons still unbeknownst to me) you can only use an Essilor-semi-owned lab to do the lab work...in essence, a "contract lab"...

...and you wonder why the quality is crap?

...and you say the patients pay top dollar?

...and you say you want to accept only the highest of standards?

Reality check. I am a street-walker, and so are you, and so is the patient.

If you want high standards, you can't take EyeMed. They are incompatible.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Collard Rose in Whittier, Ca. does really great work and great turn-around. They recently got on the the Eyemed approved lab list.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use Walman for my Eyemed and PRIVATE pay jobs.

Walman is independent and employee owned.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use DBL for both Eyemed and Vsp. They do good work, no problems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    We use DBL for both Eyemed and Vsp. They do good work, no problems.
    Isn't DBL owned by Essilor?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yes they are.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Southern Optical Company, our local branch is in Norcross, GA. They are Essilor owned. They do a great job.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Advance Optical in Rochester, NY for Eyemed work. While they're not the same as they were before "E" got their hands on them they still do pretty decent work.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanfast View Post
    We had the lab ask us to ignore the peripheral scratches if they are not to bad (true story).
    Yup, I heard they have actually implemented a chart that shows what kind of peripheral distortion and peripheral scratches are acceptable.

Just wondering. Was this on a Poly SV lens with ar?

What was the total power/base curve?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are using Walman as well. Turn time is excellent and they care..

Just like any lab, there have been a couple of ups and downs. So far, they seem very responsive to our concerns.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We use WOS in Green Bay for our private pay and EyeMed jobs. They are big E. They do superb, fast, accurate work.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Walman, York for Eyemed jobs only. I have to say, I was a little nervous about using an "eyemed" lab, but they have been excellent. Great quality and quick turn around. Very pleased. The customer service is also very good if you have any questions or problems with eyemed. On a side note... Ross is retiring in March! Good luck to him!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    We use Walman, York for Eyemed jobs only. I have to say, I was a little nervous about using an "eyemed" lab, but they have been excellent. Great quality and quick turn around. Very pleased. The customer service is also very good if you have any questions or problems with eyemed. On a side note... Ross is retiring in March! Good luck to him!
    That is the branch that I use as well. I am very happy with them.

I wish Ross well on his retirement! I am eager to see who they bring in to replace him.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Toledo Optical is now a Walman lab and does very good work as they did before they became Walman. In fact, maybe better even though they are doing more business, cheaper. Makes you wonder where this will lead.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hear the Toledo rep is the epitome of awesomeness, which never hurts!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanfast View Post
    Quick question that I hope has a positive answer.

We have been noticing that our lab quality has been in on a perpetual down slope. It is to the point where we are sending back the majority of our jobs. We have found a lab where we are happy with our VSP and private pays, but we are getting extremely frustrated with our eyemed work. We had the lab ask us to ignore the peripheral scratches if they are not to bad (true story). If we were trying to compete with the discount shops of the world it would be one thing, but we are not. The patients pay for a higher quality product and we are happy to do the same.

I am sure there are opticians on here that only accept the highest of standards from their labs and also take Eyemed. To these opticians where do you get your work done? We prefer "independent" labs, but quality just is not what it used to be.

Why not do it yourself? If i understand correctly you have a contract with a lab that edges the lenses you order? Most optical businesses in the Netherlands do their own edging. When i for example order a pair of lenses i edge them myself, being completely in control of the process and i am personally responsible for the quality. Would that work for your situation?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Why not do it yourself? If i understand correctly you have a contract with a lab that edges the lenses you order? Most optical businesses in the Netherlands do their own edging. When i for example order a pair of lenses i edge them myself, being completely in control of the process and i am personally responsible for the quality. Would that work for your situation?
    Yes it would, but there is zero payment for the time and expertise spent on edging such jobs, so most people let the insurance companies edge. Plus they don't want you to edge.

I still choose to do some insurance jobs because I know I will do them better, but alas

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    Yup, I heard they have actually implemented a chart that shows what kind of peripheral distortion and peripheral scratches are acceptable.

Just wondering. Was this on a Poly SV lens with ar?

What was the total power/base curve?

The scratches I talk about have been on every type of job. We typically do not use poly, mostly trivex and 160 with sapphire for the eyemed jobs. Power wise everything from +5 to -15 have been sent back to the lab.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

I wish Ross well on his retirement! I am eager to see who they bring in to replace him.
    I was told it will be Robin Dimitris. She used to be a Viva, then Marcolin rep.

OptiBoard Apprentice Dpareynolds's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eye med reimbursement is a joke, for exams and glasses, and work was crapola. I stopped taking it and have not suffered at all.
    :cheers: Stop the merry go round, I'm ready to get off so someone else can have all the fun.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpareynolds View Post
    Eye med reimbursement is a joke, for exams and glasses, and work was crapola. I stopped taking it and have not suffered at all.
    I see your not suffered at all & raise you to everything going smoother & better

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpareynolds View Post
    I am not complaining to much about the reimbursements, yes it could be better. But it drives patients fairly well in my area, and usually it is a lower tier eyemed so the patient typically only gets 20%-30% off the lenses and then their frame benny. On the back end we don't get much from reimbursements mostly the patient pays up front. Long story short, if you can get the patient to do tippy top tier everything it isn't bad, it is just the matter of finding a lab that can process the jobs properly.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I look at the reimbursements as the cherry on the top. When I approach any third-party customer/patient, I do so as if I am starting at ground zero, and the only profit I will get will be the up charges. A nice $95-$400+ in upgrades, added to the reimbursement is fine with me, considering I didn't have to market to them to get them into my office.

Of course, I live by the words of Brother Fezz: "It's not how you sell, it's how you buy..."
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information