Thread: Frame Boards

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am looking for some ideas as to how others manage your frame boards. I have joined an MD practice and have finished some of my evaluations. I am reducing our current frames on display due to low turn over. At the same time I am changing the product mix and deciding which vendors to let go due to everything looking the same. What type of product mix, percentages of women's metal, plastic,kids, unisex, designer,etc. are you all comfortable with?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Depending the economy in your area, go with what sells. I have a larger mix of womens metals and unisex in my optical. As far as what price range, I have a mixture of high end, mid range and low end, have to accomodate all incomes. It takes a while to get a feel for what will sell in your area, good luck!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Bev,

You may want to start by grabbing a handful of the Dr.s charts or looking at a week or so of appointments to develop a sample of his patients and your potential clients.

I recently read in one of the eyecare publications a "Rule of Thumb" product mix that is quite easy to remember; 10,20,30,40

10% Childrens - not insignificant but usually accounts for the least amount of eyewear sales for most folks. Maturing children may also be able to be fit with small mens, unisex, and womens frames.

20% Mens - Most men are not as choosey about style as much as they are function. These frames should be of good quality to meet their eyecare demands. Men also have the choice of having 50% of your eyewear available to them if they wish to be influenced by unisex styles.

30% Unisex - This is the catch all for the fashion conscious men, women, and teens. It is usually your name brand and higher end eyewear since these folks are influenced by fashion and willing to pay a few more sheckles for their eyewear.

40% Womens - Women are very particular about their looks and require the greatest variety.
    Women influenced by unisex styles will have 70% of your eyewear available for their selection.

This is a rule of thumb and should be modified to your prevailing business demands but it has given me a good base line for the product mix in my studio.

Kevin

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Thanks Kevin for your input. After I posted I called a friend who was in a management group with me previously and we came up with the same percentages. We also knocked out one that did not include unisex.

I also am going to send a specific survey to all the OD's patients in our practice over the last year to pin point this and other specific information I am looking for.

Pete suggested several months ago that managers and owners may need their own forum to exchange information or may be we can do so on line at a preappointed time every three weeks or so in the chat room. I am willing to facilitate this if we have others who wish to join us. Some rules may have to be applied such as a radius non compete to participate.

Any other interested parties?

Thread Information