Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepping for SHTF

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Prepping for SHTF

I know this sounds crazy but...

I dabble in prepping for after SHTF and I think being able to barter the gift of sight would be very valuable. So what would I need to make glasses without any electricity.

Any ideas of where to start.

J

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think about this also, all the time. I'm thinking a couple crates of stock lenses, and a foot powered hand wheel.

Otherwise we are S.O.L. when S.H.T.F.

DOOMSDAY OPTICIAN

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find that if I talk to people about after SHTF they think I'm super crazy.

What about lensometry?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For those prepping for the possibility of the SHTF, how about selling multiple pairs to folks and capturing your client base now. If the time ever comes whats to stop people from stealing glasses from the living or removing eyewear from the dead.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 02-17-2015 at 08:13 PM.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lol, I only worry about myself and my kids, how selfish am I? All I think is, "How myopic is katie gonna get?" Should I have like 8 frames with her next 8 possible rx's in them ready to go?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeoptical View Post

What about lensometry?
    Hand neutralization.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What about lensometry?
    If you had a trial frame and a set of trial lenses you would have the ability to refract and neutralize existing lenses. And, by the way, I concur. You are super crazy.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i know a guy that does a water powered sawmill, i suppose you could use that model and apply it to a hand wheel.

Occupation
    You could pick up a copy of The Amateur Telescope Maker and learn all of the techniques that you would need to know with the exception of having to hand rock your cylinders, just like in the good old days.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Lol, I only worry about myself and my kids, how selfish am I? All I think is, "How myopic is katie gonna get?" Should I have like 8 frames with her next 8 possible rx's in them ready to go?
    I only care about my family too but I would need a service to trade if I needed food water bullets.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    If you had a trial frame and a set of trial lenses you would have the ability to refract and neutralize existing lenses. And, by the way, I concur. You are super crazy.
    Thanks for the crazy vote. I am having the doctor teach me how to refract with the trail lens set but I'm not sure how to hand neutralize a prescription. I've only ever use a lensometer to neutralize a RX.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I only care about my family too but I would need a service to trade if I needed food water bullets.
    Ckickens and alcohol. You'd get more people for the alcohol lol. Or you could just be a marauder like the one family on doomsday preppers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    ...on the plus side you don't have to worry about Dr's redos.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I think this is the wrong part of the forum for this thread. Belongs in Silly Things Opticians Say When They've Had Too Much Beer.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahhh - so what is SHTF???
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Isht Hits The Fan aka 'Doomsday'

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper how little the young generation of opticians know about the basic optical practices

Actually this is not such a stupid thread ...............but it shows how much the younger generation has learned in basic optics.

Lensometer to measure the lenses, but no idea how to do it without the instrument. The basic optical is missing. Lenses were simply neutralized by hand and properly marked.

There used to be a time when we cut lenses with a diamond or a cutting wheel and then we chipped the lens with the chipping pliers.

Then went on a rough wheel hand edger, followed by a smooth one. Not even a former.
    I remember my fathers workshop (not called Lab) with a 10 ft long table and the edgers running with a belt to an axle that run the whole length of table driven by one motor.

Inserting the lenses by heating the frame over a Bunsen burner (open flame) and then the frames were made with Cellulose-Nitrate which went up in flames when they got too hot.

It could all be done because the ones who did it, and were used to it and seldom missed.

So I am actually surprised how little the young generation of opticians know about the basic optical practices, being spoiled by ordering from the big monster labs equipped with all the electronics and just passing on the labour part.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish we still made frames out of explosive materials.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Actually this is not such a stupid thread ...............but it shows how much the younger generation has learned in basic optics.

Lensometer to measure the lenses, but no idea how to do it without the instrument. The basic optical is missing. Lenses were simply neutralized by hand and properly marked.

There used to be a time when we cut lenses with a diamond or a cutting wheel and then we chipped the lens with the chipping pliers.

Then went on a rough wheel hand edger, followed by a smooth one. Not even a former.
    I remember my fathers workshop (not called Lab) with a 10 ft long table and the edgers running with a belt to an axle that run the whole length of table driven by one motor.

Inserting the lenses by heating the frame over a Bunsen burner (open flame) and then the frames were made with Cellulose-Nitrate which went up in flames when they got too hot.

It could all be done because the ones who did it, and were used to it and seldom missed.

So I am actually surprised how little the young generation of opticians know about the basic optical practices, being spoiled by ordering from the big monster labs equipped with all the electronics and just passing on the labour part.

Insert the usual eyeroll

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Come on Chris, I remember when making a phone call required an operator who worked at a switchboard, the refrigerator was called an ice box and the ice man would hump 8 flights of stairs with a 30lb block in tow before Otis invented the elevator. It's called progress and when new advancements are made, the older technologies become obsolete. Fire good but natural gas fireplaces rock.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Chris, here's an excellent new product for your company, guaranteed to sell to 'Doomsday Prep'rs' everywhere.

The kit includes a carbide glass cutter and a pair of parallel jaw pliers, 5 pounds of silicon carbide, 5 pounds of fine garnet, 5 pounds of cerium oxide, and instructions on how to grind convex and concave surfaces. Think of how many hits you will get from this alone! You could probably retire!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Its called PROGRESS. And the opposite of progress is........................CONGRESS!

This is a basic truth in many fields today - people don't know how to mend, build or repair things, relying on product warranties and APPLE to just change their electronic gadget......

That ain't a problem..........until it becomes a problem!! Like if all those crazy internets go down at once

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Chris, here's an excellent new product for your company, ..............

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post

Chris, here's an excellent new product for your company, guaranteed to sell to 'Doomsday Prep'rs' everywhere.

Thank you Mike ...................

In my days education was the big thing, and when learning a profession the historic part was also important to know, in order to become a thoroughly polished artisan, which an optician originally was.

A three year apprenticeship to learn the mechanical side as well as 2 days of school per week to learn the theoretic side of it.

Following that another 3 years of full time optical school, to become a full fledged optician.

Sorry I mixed my comments into this thread which seems to take the wrong turn.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chris you're right I've been licenses for 10years and have never hand neutralized a lens. Or used chipping pliers to fit a lens to a frame. I would like to learn even though it may not be relevant to todays opticianry.

J

Occupation

Blue Jumper hanks for your message

buckeyeoptica..........thanks for your messagel, .... and I appreciate it.

Technology has so much advanced specially over the last few years.

When I went to optical school after I had my valid opticians diploma, we had to learn a lot of the old ways of doing things, like getting a lens power by neutralization and also mark toric lenses that way. That way we learned to understand the real basics in the optical trade.

Thread Information