Thread: Consignment???

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Consignment???

Have a frame company that put about 100 of their frames on the board for consignment. Excellent frames and a well known company. Now, when they come back in, and want to exchange frames from consignment and bring in others to replace them, they want to charge the doctor the difference between the consignment frame they bring in and the consignment frame we are returning. Example: Consignment frame wholesale going out is $XX. "Consignment" frame coming in wholesale $XXX (Which is more). They want the doctor to pay them the difference between the less expensive one going back and the more expensive one coming in. Which makes absolutely NO SENSE to me. Since now, the doctor would own a certain portion of that frame, which means it would no longer be "consignment". They want to do this with 27 "consignment" frames we are exchanging. Accounting nightmare!

What are your thoughts. Should we continue with this, or should we say no?
    Last edited by SailorEd; 02-12-2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Wholsesale pricing removed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was this part of the initial agreement? Wether you go stay with them depends on how succesfull the frames sell i guess. However, if you feel that you are being scammed, then you probably are.
    In that case tell them to put the frames in one or several suitable body cavaties.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Was this part of the initial agreement? Wether you go stay with them depends on how succesfull the frames sell i guess. However, if you feel that you are being scammed, then you probably are.
    In that case tell them to put the frames in one or several suitable body cavaties.
    Initial agreement was ambiguous. However, to me, consignment is consignment. You don't go by pricing of individual frames. You send 27 consignment frames out, you get 27 consignment frames in. If you pay any price for those coming in, then, the doctor owns "part" of the frame and the company owns "part" of the frame. That is not consignment. It's stupid, if you ask me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If this is something like an Altair/VSP type company you need to let people know so they will stay away from them and their unscrupulous methods.

If the frames are never actually sold off the board why would they need you to pay anything?????
    Last edited by David_Garza; 02-12-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Did you consignment lovers know ..................................

Did you consignment lovers know that you are paying 3 to 4 times the real value of a frame. If you would purchase frames outright you could get them probably that much less.

Frame suppliers that sell and place consignments are working like a bank giving out credit cards with high credit limits at super high interest.

That was the start of over priced frames on the retail market and is still going on.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    If this is something like an Altair/VSP type company you need to let people know so they will stay away from them and their unscrupulous.

If the frames are never actually sold off the board why would they need you to pay anything?????
    That's exactly my point. Take for instance, we sent back 18 sunglass frames of theirs that were on consignment. They sent us 18 new sunglass frames on "consignment". The difference between what we sent back and what they sent us was $16. So, they expect us to pay $16 to them, but ... For What??? Just an exchange of money? I don't think so. So, what it comes down to is ... We own $16 worth of one of those frames. They can't expect us just to give them $16. Well, if they do expect us to do that, then, we are going to tell them to take back all of their consignment frames and we'll go somewhere else. We will see when the rep calls me. Left a msg for her on Tuesday. Still waiting on the call. This frame company is a good company but they don't understand the concept of "consignment", either by being clueless or by design. I'll find that out when the rep calls.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Did you consignment lovers know that you are paying 3 to 4 times the real value of a frame. If you would purchase frames outright you could get them probably that much less.

Frame suppliers that sell and place consignments are working like a bank giving out credit cards with high credit limits at super high interest.

That was the start of over priced frames on the retail market and is still going on.
    While that is true of some companies, the two companies (probably soon to be one) that we get consignment from bill us directly and we still get a good discount (better than we could through a buying group). There we some, however, who wanted to put consignment on the board and would not give us any discount. I showed them the door.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like someone on their end is confused. Consignment is just that. There should not be any "fees" or "cost sharing" when exchanging the board frames.

Now if you had paid for said frames, then certainly you would be responsible for the difference in cost.

Occupation
    I would assume that you have a contract of some form with the vendor. Have the doctor read it and abide by its terms. If you don't have a contract, tough toenails. The vendor will probably bill you for the goods and not accept them as returns.

Beware of the gift horse!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    That's exactly my point. Take for instance, we sent back 18 sunglass frames of theirs that were on consignment. They sent us 18 new sunglass frames on "consignment". The difference between what we sent back and what they sent us was $16. So, they expect us to pay $16 to them, but ... For What??? Just an exchange of money? I don't think so. So, what it comes down to is ... We own $16 worth of one of those frames. They can't expect us just to give them $16. Well, if they do expect us to do that, then, we are going to tell them to take back all of their consignment frames and we'll go somewhere else. We will see when the rep calls me. Left a msg for her on Tuesday. Still waiting on the call. This frame company is a good company but they don't understand the concept of "consignment", either by being clueless or by design. I'll find that out when the rep calls.
    Shipping and handling maybe.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    could you share who this is? that way I can brace myself. you can private message me if you don't want to yell from the mountain top.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeoptical View Post
    Perhaps, in which case this entire thread just went moot.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Virginia is for Lovers...

Consignment is for Suckers.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeoptical View Post
    Nope. After shipping and handling. However, those were just the sunglasses (18). The frame "exchange" will total more than 300 dollars.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by sailored View Post
    nope. After shipping and handling. However, those were just the sunglasses (18). The frame "exchange" will total more than 300 dollars.

man are you getting screwed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pack them all up and have them send a prepaid ups return label.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Virginia is for Lovers...

Consignment is for Suckers.
    You got that right! Can't ever win at that game.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Pack them all up and have them send a prepaid ups return label.
    Ya, sure, right away!

Thread Information