Thread: horizon II mystery

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

horizon II mystery

alright optigods....

i picked up an old horizon II unit to start my finish lab business with. just got here last week and I've been trying to get her up and running, supposedly the unit i bought had RECENTLY been retired from another optician doing the same thing in a different state.

Fresh out the crate, the unit did everything but bevel. Ran through the whole cycle like it thought it was beveling, but the lens seemingly wasn't lined up in the right place to leave a bevel. So, talked to optronics, who had me move some stuff around to realign everything. still nothing. I start messing with the 'backlash' as per the manuals instructions, and all of a sudden, a new problem: now I'm not getting any movement from the lens drive carriage. So for the past week I've been working with optronics to try and figure it out, and don't really seem to be making a huge amount of progress, so I thought I'd turn to the optigods for help.

While working with optronics, I've checked the restrictors in lines 6 and 5, removed and cleaned them, confirmed they bear the correct markings, AND are installed in the right direction. Optronics also suggested i disconnect the lines to test the #2 solenoid, which when operating correctly, (and manually switched on) should cut all of the air from line 6, and engage air in line 5, moving the lens drive carriage towards the cutter. while performing this test, if i am I am still getting air out of line 6 (at a decreased rate) while getting air from line 5. According to optronics, this shouldnt be.

So next step was to check the solenoid, to make sure its good. my number 1 solenoid was operating my chuck with no problems, so i switched that with my number two. I clean both with my air gun, and make sure the rubber gasket is aligned underneath, and..... same results, chuck works fine, but no movement on the lens drive carriage. So it can't be the solenoid.

So the last tip I got from optronics was to check the solenoid block. so i undid the main air feed to the block, and removed the two outlet restrictors on the opposite side. I blasted out the solenoid block, and I cycled the edger without these two pieces in and...... success!! The lens drive carriage moves forward as it should. Finally! So, happy to have finally solved the issue, I replace the two restrcitors in the solenoid block (making sure not two switch them) AND.... no lens carriage movement. So I take 'em out again, and the lens carriage comes forward when cycling...... now, I dont know what the hell to do.

Heres a few more thoughts I'm having that may or may not help.

1. I feel like both my initial problem (bevel not functioning) and the lens carriage movement (or lack thereof) could be related. Perhaps both would be caused by some sort of bad pressure or something..... maybe a false reading on my regulator?

2. I can move the carriage forward manually while the second solenoid is engaged. it takes some effort, but i can slide it forward. As soon as I end the cycle, or release the button on solenoid two, it shoots back into its home position. I THINK, this is because I'm splitting air between lines 5 and 6 (but not completely switching between the two)

3. the only other time I was able to get the lens drive to move forward was by disconnecting another line (I believe it was 12, leading to the smaller lens drive cylinder) this loss of pressure resulted in the carriage moving forward. of course, I have no idea if this means anything.

So I can't think its a blockage, an incorrect restrictor, or a bad solenoid. optronics is sure it cant be electrical, but they've already tried selling me a new cylinder, full set of restrictors, and 2 solenoids. Is it possible the solenoid block needs replacing?

As always, LITERALLY any help is appreciated. I gotta get this thing up and running. Thanks Optigods.

-Z

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    hawaiioptician,
    Did you find out the root cause of your situation or the solution other than removing the outlet restrictors?
    I'm in a similar situation with my Optronics II lens drive carriage suddenly stopped coming forward.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i never did, sorry. THe one thing i thought of afterwards was to try a larger air tank, the one i was using was tiny, and maybe the reserve of air would help?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Thanks for replying with the suggestion. My compressor keeps up OK. Best wishes and stay safe.

Thread Information