Thread: Horror Movie Adaption Stories

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Horror Movie Adaption Stories

Just wondering how many others out there that have had clients who have so successfully adapted to incorrectly made glasses that when you dispense them a correctly made pair they have a hell of a time adapting. Everything from improper pd's to seg heights and of course rx. More than likely these are new clients that have purchased their glasses elsewhere for years. Maybe they have a current pair you can compare to and you didn't or maybe their glasses have been misplaced completely leaving you nothing to go on. Have you ever had someone who could see better through their crazed coatings then they could see through a pair of pristine new lenses? Regale me with your stories.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Too many to list, but I can tell you about a co-worker I had once. Her lenses were made by the previous optician who used a bad lab. When I ordered her new glasses, she had all sorts of problems. Turns out the old glasses were made with super wide Pds. Ugly super wide Pds. I tried everything, but in the end we decided to make new lenses with the old Pds. Worked like a charm. Now she is working in another office and I got a call from their optician asking what we did and I had to give her the pds. Embarrassing to give those numbers, but that's what worked for her. Damn bad lab. I'm so glad we don't use them anymore!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Just wondering how many others out there that have had clients who have so successfully adapted to incorrectly made glasses that when you dispense them a correctly made pair they have a hell of a time adapting. Everything from improper pd's to seg heights and of course rx. More than likely these are new clients that have purchased their glasses elsewhere for years. Maybe they have a current pair you can compare to and you didn't or maybe their glasses have been misplaced completely leaving you nothing to go on. Have you ever had someone who could see better through their crazed coatings then they could see through a pair of pristine new lenses? Regale me with your stories.
    Had an older gentleman once who's reverse face form was SO extreme that he could not handle a properly formed frame.
    Many, Many times I've had pt's who "See better" in their crazed up, scratched 5+ year old lenses than the sparkly new ones. I've about decided it's because of the pathology such as cataracts. They see better, but they see the effects of the pathology better!
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by kaypaula View Post
    Had an older gentleman once who's reverse face form was SO extreme that he could not handle a properly formed frame.
    Many, Many times I've had pt's who "See better" in their crazed up, scratched 5+ year old lenses than the sparkly new ones. I've about decided it's because of the pathology such as cataracts. They see better, but they see the effects of the pathology better!
    Had a situation with someone who had been wearing her -4.00rx in a 6 base lens for years. After a lengthy discussion she insisted that they could only be made in a 6 base lens I decided to send her back to the place that had been making them for her for years. Did I mention she decided to switch just in time to try her first progressive? Technically speaking I guess this was the avoidance of a horror story but yeah, wasn't gonna make those for her.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    A patient came in to my office one time with progressive lenses that were switched around. Right in left. Left in right. Adding insult to injury the heights were significantly higher than they should have been. How she was seeing or reading with this, I was amazed. We made her a pair with the correct measurements and it was heck to pay. It took two redos before we decided not to go any further. Management, I believe, gave her a partial credit that was transferable.

Another case included, a child who PD's were supposed to be 52 but was set at 60. The child had to come back every six - eight months for a re-check and update so I did the first update at 56 ... six months pass and I did the second update at the 52 the correct PD. Some children never know the difference and you could go back to the 52 from the 60. (I personally don't do this)
    Adults on the other hand, I come to find its hard for them to tolerate (if their PD is off my more than 8mm) readjusting their PD as close to their actual PD. So ... I'd take a mm or two off and let the universe do the rest.

Thread Information