View Poll Results: How often do you have problems with Davis Labs?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

4 16.67%
  • Sometimes

6 25.00%
  • Often

5 20.83%
  • Daily

9 37.50%

Thread: Davis Lab Issues

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Davis Lab Issues

I have a serious question; am I getting punked? Is Ashton Kutcher sitting there silently laughing while listening to my repeated calls? Because this is ridiculous.

In one order, three frames in a row, when I opened the case and removed the frame, the lenses fell out of the frame. Not a single order has been edged properly, I asked for polished high luster edges and they come with plastic curls still on the ragged edge. When I order "Edged lenses only" or do a scratch coat NOT ONE pair of lenses actually fit the frame they were meant for; some are too big and some are too small. I have one order that I've been waiting for for TWO MONTHS, the frame came mangled and screws stripped with lenses falling out so I had them do it again, they sent me a packing slip for a replacement frame and sent it in. I spoke to the lab manager who assured me that she would follow it through and rush it to me. TEN DAYS later I called for an update and they said they hadn't started on it yet but they would rush it to me. That was a week ago, yesterday they called for a description of the frame so they could find it. I literally asked them if they were using "unskilled child labor"!

I had a carbon fiber/wood OVVO frame that I sent in that they broke. Instead of shipping them another one, I opted to have them use that one for a pattern and just send me the edged lenses. Again, speaking to the manager I said, "be sure it is precisely cut, edged and polished high luster edges. The groove must be perfect." Guess what I got! Not polished edges, didn't fit in the frame and a crooked groove. It looked like it had been done by a 12 year old with a dremel tool. I'm at a loss... are they punking me?

I ordered lenses for a rimless Silhouette frame using the shape number, previous order number for shape and drilling pattern and asked for polished high luster edges. The first one they just deleted the order which I didn't discover until a few days later when they sent me an email, so I sent it again with detailed instructions about edging, drilling and polished high luster. So the lenses came today, uncut lens blanks with POLISHED EDGES!!!! I... I'm at a loss... I find myself calling and asking for supervisors with stacks of redos in hand.

I love my job, I get to help people see every day... Davis makes me want to quit. This sucks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Never have to use them so don't have to have deal with their issues.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    completed jobs always come back dusty, every single pair I get from them

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by markmf View Post
    I Davis makes me want to quit. This sucks.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by markmf View Post
    I have a serious question; am I getting punked? Is Ashton Kutcher sitting there silently laughing while listening to my repeated calls? Because this is ridiculous.

In one order, three frames in a row, when I opened the case and removed the frame, the lenses fell out of the frame. Not a single order has been edged properly, I asked for polished high luster edges and they come with plastic curls still on the ragged edge. When I order "Edged lenses only" or do a scratch coat NOT ONE pair of lenses actually fit the frame they were meant for; some are too big and some are too small. I have one order that I've been waiting for for TWO MONTHS, the frame came mangled and screws stripped with lenses falling out so I had them do it again, they sent me a packing slip for a replacement frame and sent it in. I spoke to the lab manager who assured me that she would follow it through and rush it to me. TEN DAYS later I called for an update and they said they hadn't started on it yet but they would rush it to me. That was a week ago, yesterday they called for a description of the frame so they could find it. I literally asked them if they were using "unskilled child labor"!

I had a carbon fiber/wood OVVO frame that I sent in that they broke. Instead of shipping them another one, I opted to have them use that one for a pattern and just send me the edged lenses. Again, speaking to the manager I said, "be sure it is precisely cut, edged and polished high luster edges. The groove must be perfect." Guess what I got! Not polished edges, didn't fit in the frame and a crooked groove. It looked like it had been done by a 12 year old with a dremel tool. I'm at a loss... are they punking me?

I ordered lenses for a rimless Silhouette frame using the shape number, previous order number for shape and drilling pattern and asked for polished high luster edges. The first one they just deleted the order which I didn't discover until a few days later when they sent me an email, so I sent it again with detailed instructions about edging, drilling and polished high luster. So the lenses came today, uncut lens blanks with POLISHED EDGES!!!! I... I'm at a loss... I find myself calling and asking for supervisors with stacks of redos in hand.

I love my job, I get to help people see every day... Davis makes me want to quit. This sucks.
    They do not perform quality checks. Each team is given so many jobs to produce during their shift and are not allowed to leave until those orders are completed, so quality goes out the window.

We have our own edging equipment to use so we order uncuts from them for any POF's or higher end frames we sell. I have had frames broken, glasses covered in lens polish, progressives cut upside down, unwanted prism, etc.

Also the reason why their glasses come in all dusty is because of their garbage cases they send. The dust you are seeing is the cheap felt inside coming undone and covering lenses during shipping.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    its the cheap cases they use that cause the dust.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Their work is so bad they have a person specifically to deal with all the complaints. He works in the "escalation department." LOL

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When it snows, davis blows. No, seriously

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=markmf;501036
    I love my job, I get to help people see every day... Davis makes me want to quit. This sucks.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to my world. I would drop Davis in a heartbeat, but we have the highmark building across the street from our office and most of their employees come here. It's amazing the things I see. Just when I think they can't do any worse, they always manage to top themselves.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by nawsman View Post
    completed jobs always come back dusty, every single pair I get from them
    Its from the cheap cases they provide

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i was able to clean up most of what Davis sent me. Does that make them awful? Dunno- par for the course when you compare them to a number of other labs. Substandard is the new standard. Cheap, bad, unconcerned - yes, yes and yes. But an anomaly in this profession these days? No. It might be more damning to say they are just following the status quo.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I disagree... I don't have these problems with my private lab. I use 2 other labs and they are excellent. I won't say I never have a problem, but very few and far between. Davis just sucks.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm just glad we don't take Davis. From what I hear your problems are the norm for them. I can't understand why anyone who cares about their reputation takes it. No matter how many times you tell patients the problems are connected to Davis Vision all they will remember is you took too long to make the glasses and/or sold them low quality junk.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So today... I received 3 orders from Davis. 1 was correct. 1 had wrong...really, super wrong tint and the third was off axis ou. Lovely. One I received yesterday was made for the second time without prism. Ordered with prism, no prism made. Had to order it for the 3rd time. Nice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not a huge fan of Davis, but the are over 25% of my exams and revenue. Enough money that it covers payroll and then some. Fortunately most of our patients with Davis understand how it works. I always remind them and tell new patients "One of the ways your vision plan saves money is by processing all the orders themselves, in New York. It typically takes us 2-3 weeks to get them in, and we will perform an inspection ourselves before notifying you they are ready. If there are any issues when we receive them, we will notify you of the delay." If they seem distressed over turn time, I explain that our preferred labs take only a week on most orders, but Davis insists we have to use their facilities to control cost. I would be happy to send them our preferred lab for a fee.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I truly wish for this davis lab you have mentioned, to also be a warby parker contractee

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
    I'm just glad we don't take Davis. From what I hear your problems are the norm for them. I can't understand why anyone who cares about their reputation takes it. No matter how many times you tell patients the problems are connected to Davis Vision all they will remember is you took too long to make the glasses and/or sold them low quality junk.
    Exactly, if you are the employee having to deal with these issues you need to have a serious discussion with the owner of the optical/practice about your reputation and $$$ actually being made or more likely lost in frustrated patients who spread the word about YOUR poor quality and turn around time. Davis PTs will NOT associate that with Davis but with YOUR practice alone.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just call and ask to enroll in their private lab program they will send you out a packet with a reimbursement schedule that will pay you for basic lens options and basic progressive lenses. I forced my OD to enroll in this package my primary selling point to the OD was that since VisionWorks owns Davis you're essentially giving your insured patients a product that is the same as what they would get at VW. Plus it will get that ugly tower out of the office and allow you to sell your own frames to the patient. It's a revenue maker.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt8701 View Post
    Just call and ask to enroll in their private lab program they will send you out a packet with a reimbursement schedule that will pay you for basic lens options and basic progressive lenses. I forced my OD to enroll in this package my primary selling point to the OD was that since VisionWorks owns Davis you're essentially giving your insured patients a product that is the same as what they would get at VW. Plus it will get that ugly tower out of the office and allow you to sell your own frames to the patient. It's a revenue maker.
    Interesting idea. However, I wonder if it is even possible in states other than Georgia and soon to be Virginia that have or will have laws on the books that prevent Insurance companies from dictating to VCP what labs they had to use. For example, I could try that here in Pennsylvania but likely would never happen since Highmark's HQ is in the state.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt8701 View Post
    That may be how Davis and other VCPs will deal with the changes to their contracts. Makes sense. Your frames, your lab choice, your decision.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They were doing good for a while, until I got a job that week that was off. Groove rimless FT28, and the segs were turned down nasally by at least 10 degrees. I called to get them redone, and the girl was really sweet and apologized. I am NOT a fan of Davis, but at least this person was pleasant, knowledgeable, and efficient. I really hope they don't fall off the wagon with quality like they did a few years ago. They were HORRIBLE!!
    "You can't think about it, you just gotta let your brain do the work....."
    my dad

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have 2, jobs right now that the frames have gone missing on.

Thread Information