Thread: fixed progressives....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

fixed progressives....

So I'm in another new office (last new job didn't go so great-just because they're private doesn't mean they're good!), and we use a lot of Shamir and Seiko progressives. The last time I used Shamir was when they just had the genesis and the piccolo, soooooo. Yeah.

I'm trying to bone up on my brain power, and just went on Shamir's website for the auto II and the intouch. Hoping to shoot out some questions and get some great answers. And if you are going to only suggest other brands, I appreciate it but that isn't what I'm looking for, so don't bother typing. Here goes the questions:

1. Can't seem to find out how the Intouch is Surfaced. Front, back, both??

2. Auto II's fixed heights. What I'm guessing from the literature I've read so far, is that determining the height allows you to adjust who long the intermediate corridor is until you get into the reading?

3. Opinions. We just starting fitting the In touch, and the propaganda seems good, and it sounds that it has a wider reading and wider intermediate, with a quicker transition into the full add. So how does this compare to the dual surface auto II? Couldn't you just design the fit of the autoII to be a quicker drop and benefit from the better design, or is the intermediate that much wider?

Thank you all in advance for the feedback. And I want opinions AND nerded out answers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    2.) Auto II discussion that helped me understand things better! Post#12 is the goldmine!

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...raph-II-Fitter
    Last edited by Fezz; 02-04-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank Fezzward. I just read it and it was certainly helpful. But I want more!!!!! lol.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's my understanding that all the Shamir products are back surface freeform surface. I like all 3 major Shamir designs, The InTouch, AG2, and the AG3, love the AG3 for hyperopes. I use the InTouch primarily for early presby's who do a lot of cell phone and tablet work. You are correct in your assumption for the fixed designs, if you want to reach the reading area faster, use a shorter corridor, etc.... My thoughts on fitting the AG2 at a shorter corridor to replace the InTouch is that it will not work as well. It has to do with the pattern of the corridor ramp up to the full add, not just about how long it is. You will see a better performance for a digital lifestyle with the InTouch. My 2 pennies worth of info.

Good luck, and I hope congrats for you move.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    +1
    I'm a die hard shamir geek and the AG3 and InTouch are my go too's. The InTouch is amazing for anyone who uses a smart phone/tablet. From what I understand the intermediate hits a little higher and faster for the 18-24 inch range that the devices are used at, then slows down to the reading. I've had few non-adapts with both, most being first time users and people with un-real ideas on how they work.
    Also all I've been told that all the free form shamir have 100% reading at the recommended height.
    The AG3 has separate deigns for myopes and hyperopes, it gives a wider reading for hyperopes and is a bit softer for myopes.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    1. Can't seem to find out how the Intouch is Surfaced. Front, back, both??
    Probably the same as Autograph- back.

2. Auto II's fixed heights. What I'm guessing from the literature I've read so far, is that determining the height allows you to adjust who long the intermediate corridor is until you get into the reading?
    Right. The fixed 18mm for a mature presbyope is as short as you need unless you're trying to squeze the optics into a too narrow of a frame, not recommended due to increased dynamics and general unpleasantness.

3. Opinions. We just starting fitting the In touch, and the propaganda seems good, and it sounds that it has a wider reading and wider intermediate, with a quicker transition into the full add. So how does this compare to the dual surface auto II? Couldn't you just design the fit of the autoII to be a quicker drop and benefit from the better design, or is the intermediate that much wider?
    I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like the power ramps up sooner, not faster, and that has ramifications with the distance vision. One solution is to use a Chemestrie power clip, keeping the distance optics AGAP, but that depends on frequency of use and other factors like clint age, blur sensitivity, etc.

Thank you all in advance for the feedback. And I want opinions AND nerded out answers.
    Thank you- I hoped I passed the audition!
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a Shamir and Seiko fan. As for the Shamir products, I have had the most success with the InTouch. Great for those who use a lot of intermediate. My coworkers who did not like the Auto II, loved the InTouch because the transitions seemed easier and corridor wider to them. As was mentioned before, great for early presbyopes and those who use a lot of digital products. If they truly need a task specific lens then their office or workspace/computer lenses have met with great success as well.

For Auto III, my rep put it as if the Auto II and the InTouch had a baby. They tweaked the dynamics a bit so you get some of that same ramp up to the intermediate. This is controllable some by how you choose your corridor length. My go to pair is my Auto III. Chemistrie power layer for use when crafting. Second favorite is my InTouch, 3rd Surmount. (-0.50 OD, +1.75 -0.75 OS, +1.25 add) My Auto II pair was the first set of glasses I really felt comfortable in a pair of glasses period.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, so my next question is, what types of questions do you ask to determine if the patient needs a longer or shorter corridor for the myope patients? It sounds like if patient does a lot of reading stick to the fixed 15 or 13? Lot of computer use just skip over and use an In touch? And general use for every day the fixed 18?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    All Shamir FreeForm products are full back surface progressives.

If you haven't gotten a hold of these yet, get some from your Shamir rep or use the brochure code to get them directly from Shamir:

InTouch Flyer - INT-FLY-2PA-080612 - has great explanation and pictures of how the InTouch works.

Autograph II Fixed vs. Variable Guide - AUT-GUI-FIT-021610 - This will show you the corridor length and near area length for the fixed and variable designs when they're fit at different heights, as well as recommendations for when to use each one. Sadly I think this one is no longer available, but it's the best one. I have it in a PDF if you can't get it from Shamir, let me know and I'll get it to you.

Autograph II Fixed - AUT-GUI-FIT-012412 - This guide replaced the one above but only shows the corridor length/near area length for the fixed designs. There's also a nice explanation of how the fixed design works. This should still be available.

If you can't get any of the above from Shamir for some reason, let me know and I'll get them to you.

Edit: Also, Shamir has this online: http://www.shamirlens.com/images/au2-tec-4pa-070512.pdf
    Last edited by WFruit; 02-05-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information