Thread: Hemp frames to soon hit the market

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Hemp frames to soon hit the market

Now that Oregon has passes the Oregon Hemp Farming Bill how long will it be before we see hemp frames on our frame bars? If they don't sell, smoke em.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-62146892.html

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    kinda gives new life to the phrase, "put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many moons ago, Henry Ford used hemp to build an auto body shell, 30% lighter and extremely durable. It, hemp has some tremendous upsides as an alternative material for many applications besides rope and hippies.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I'm sure a Vietnam vet like Dick knows hemp will not get you high. George Washington grew it but did not smoke it. He was however, accused by his dentist of soaking his dentures in port wine!

http://naihc.org/hemp_information/content/hemp.mj.html
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-04-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: tweak...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    As I'm sure a Vietnam vet like Dick knows hemp will not get you high. George Washington grew it but did not smoke it. He was however, accused by his dentist of soaking his dentures in port wine!

http://naihc.org/hemp_information/content/hemp.mj.html
    I wouldn't know . . . I never smoked the stuff. I did, however, consume vast quantities of Jack Daniels; so much so that I usually could not strike a match in safety. I am quite out of touch with the booze and drug culture being on the water wagon since April 25, 1981 (but whose counting) - don't miss it a bit!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    is hemp even a viable material to make frames out of? admittedly i dont know much about it but isnt it a plant fiber? that doesnt sound like something that would hold a shape.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Snoop Dogg may want to start a frame line himself if this becomes a reality!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snoop dogg.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	11709

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Ford Fusion, which weighs nearly 4,000 pounds, the Kestrel rings in at just 2,5000 in

Two communities that you normally don’t find coming together, auto geeks and industrial hemp proponents, went gaga in 2010 when Canadian company Motive Industries unveiled the Kestrel EV, a prototype electric car with a body made almost completely from a hemp-based biocomposite material.

Speaking to Popular Science, Motive Industries president Nathan Armstrong explained that the three-door hatchback hemp mobile’s strong “yet incredibly lightweight” body could be a “sweet spot for electric vehicles.” Compared with the similarly sized Ford Fusion, which weighs nearly 4,000 pounds, the Kestrel rings in at just 2,5000 including its battery. The vehicle’s low tonnage is capable of boosting fuel efficiency by 25 to 30 percent.

Although the Kestrel EV has yet to hit roads, hemp enthusiast Henry Ford must be smiling down from automotive heaven. In 1941, Ford unveiled a car body made from a lightweight agricultural bio-plastic (reportedly mostly soybeans, but also hemp, flax and other crops) that ran on a hemp-based fuel.

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wil...#ixzz3QzBIMqxU

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Lightweight great but how is the impact resistance versus steel or aluminum sheet metal body?????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Lightweight great but how is the impact resistance versus steel or aluminum sheet metal body?????
    Extremely durable, Henry Rollins; a front man for the California punk band, Black Flag, is a huge history buff. He has a show on the history channel, 10 things you don't know about. They did a show on the historical origins and the cultural role has hemp played throughout America. They showed a prototype of an auto shell made from hemp fibers they demonstrated it's durability by striking it once with a mallet and then with a sledge.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux3r View Post
    is hemp even a viable material to make frames out of? admittedly i dont know much about it but isnt it a plant fiber? that doesnt sound like something that would hold a shape.
    see cellulose acetate...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper The basic raw material used to manufacture cellulose acetate polymer ................

The basic raw material used to manufacture cellulose acetate polymer is purified plantderivedcellulose. Cellulose, the structural component of the primary cell wall of greenplants, makes up 40 to 50 percent of a tree’s composition. The most common source ofcellulose is pulp derived from trees, grown in responsibly managed forests. Some of thewood pulp is obtained from third party forest certification standards such as the SustainableForestry Initiative® Inc. (http://www.sfiprogram.org/).Cellulose is modified with raw materials containing acetyl groups to form cellulose acetatepolymers. The raw materials used to manufacture these polymers are acetic acid and aceticanhydride. Acetic acid, one of the simplest organic acids and a main component of vinegar,may be produced by either natural or synthetic chemical processes. Acetic anhydride isa molecule that is produced when one combines two acetic acid molecules and removeswater molecule.

http://www.acetateweb.com/wp-content...ticle-prf1.pdf

Thread Information