Thread: Question for Labs re: Marketing

OptiBoard Professional YO Aimee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Question for Labs re: Marketing

Hi, I have a question for labs:
    What's your preferred way of communicating to ECPs about new lenses?

My job in the marketing department is to help labs get out the word when a new lens is released, and I am looking for some insight from the labs about the best way to do this.
    (Side note: Labs that sell Younger lenses are always welcome to contact me to request free flyers, job stuffers, email blasts, content for your website, images for your facebook page, etc.)

Thanks for any info you can provide!

YO Aimee
    Younger Optics
    Manufacturer of NuPolar, Drivewear, Image, Adage, Trilogy and Camber lenses
    https://www.facebook.com/YoungerOptics

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Small study groups are effective but time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by YO Aimee View Post
    Hi, I have a question for labs:
    What's your preferred way of communicating to ECPs about new lenses?

My job in the marketing department is to help labs get out the word when a new lens is released, and I am looking for some insight from the labs about the best way to do this.
    (Side note: Labs that sell Younger lenses are always welcome to contact me to request free flyers, job stuffers, email blasts, content for your website, images for your facebook page, etc.)

Thanks for any info you can provide!
    I was a rep who introduced Crizal to the US market with Omega way back when and now own a luxury retail. We use 100% either IOT designs and the camber when possible so we already do what you want.

The way I would do it is to ensure all who decide which lenses get used, wears the new lens! They have no choice in my office but to wear it and evaluate it for what is its intended purpose. Is it a new material, progressive design and/or a coating/color we have not had prior?

I would set up a small focus group at each target office and go out to see them with the ability to bring back frames to put lenses in for them. I am about to order a trivex drivewear in an IOT design for myself and am just waiting for my lab to put it int he system. We have never done any drivewear because it was not available in trivex and we do not like poly since we do 70% drill mounts so it is time to try it.

The key is getting folks to wear it and understand what makes it unique? It could be price; the new bargain lens is out and this is as important as the super fancy new Camber technology or a combination of new offerings that make the lens unique. The focus group brings an investment to the staff in that they want it to succeed so they will then sell what they believe in and know works for its intended purpose.

I would fit a few in the practice and also a select number of patients that fit a certain criteria; the patients we would do at 1/2 off and target the niche our new lens serves. For example: Drivewear is offered to folks who drive more than 1 hour per day in bright sun or a golfer to wear as he plays in variable conditions. They could offer Camber to plus patients who are a +2.75 or higher as an example to emphasis the near advantage that lens should have in that RX over a regular lens design. You design a simple survey to ensure folks are really happy with the products and they should sell them from that point on.
    This gets the staff thinking about reasons to offer the products and keeps you as a problem solver for them and way to offer new technology that they have "seen" works for them and a few patients who wanted to try new stuff.

I am against sending out coupons since they do not get used correctly and do not believe any office should be doing more than 3 lens designs for any reason in the norm.

Just a way we do it that works for me for the past 25 years. My store does 96% trivex with 100% ar and 95% progressives with all being digital as well. The other 4% of lens use is 1.67 and a few 1.74. We do 30% transitions and 25% are polarized so we do what I preach.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Totally agree on the wearing of the lense. How can one possibly recommend something they have no personal experience with. Very had to say with conviction otherwise.

Thread Information