Thread: Honest Feedback

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Honest Feedback

Looking for some honest feedback. I just recently obtained my ABO certification and am seriously considering obtaining my NCLE certification and ABO Advanced certification as well. Now my questions are:

1) With Pennsylvania being a non licensed state, should I allow that to be a factor in my decision on whether to obtain the Advanced certification or not? There are only 4 individuals that are listed on ABO's website that have the Advanced certification in the state (None on the western half from what I can tell and none of them ever went up to Master's certification)

2) What would be specific areas I would need to focus on for both exams? I figure the Advanced exam will be considerably harder and more in depth than the Basic exam.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's funny, like oh yea you need it....but we won't help you with the continuing education. A piece of paper, in this state, looks pretty on a wall in a fancy frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    It's funny, like oh yea you need it....but we won't help you with the continuing education. A piece of paper, in this state, looks pretty on a wall in a fancy frame.
    I know that is pretty much the stance many places take in this state. I was lucky enough to land with an employer who paid for my exam fees and pays for our renewal fees as long as we keep up with our CE's every three years. I do not expect them to pay for me to take the Advanced certification nor the NCLE certification, so if and when I decide to do it, it would be more of a pride thing than anything else, unless I ever move out of PA

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We're a lil backwoodsy here in Pennsyltucky

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why would you not want to be better educated?
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Why would you not want to be better educated?
    Oh I definitely want to be WFruit. I find it to be a challenge worth taking. I guess my only hesitation is as it was stated earlier, this state tends to be a$$ backwards on things.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take them, you won't regret it. As wfruit said, you'll be a better Optician because of it. (before the naysayers chime in, I assure you, whomever you are, the journey of studying for these exams alone will teach you more than you know now.)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I guess I just don't understand the hesitation.

So, to answer your questions directly:

1) No

2) There are a number of people here with their ABO-AC (and several with their ABOM). The first that comes to mind is Wes, who has his ABOM and NCLE-AC. I'm pretty sure that there are several study guide threads that you can search for as well.

Also, these threads are pretty good: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...825#post497825
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ced-ABO-Review

And pretty much most of this forum: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/foru...scussion-Forum

Or, if you just want to generally increase your knowledge, you can go here: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/foru...File-Directory and start at the top and work your way through. Some very, very good stuff in there. Made me come to the conclusion that I know just enough to realize how much I don't know.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the feedback folks. WFruit, I will definitely dig into those forums.

As for my hesitation, Its more to do with people saying to me "Why in the hell do you want to do that?" than anything else. It isn't that I don't think I can do it because I believe I can obtain both if given the time and effort to study what I need to know.

I guess I have some studying to do

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Thanks for the feedback folks. WFruit, I will definitely dig into those forums.

As for my hesitation, Its more to do with people saying to me "Why in the hell do you want to do that?" than anything else. It isn't that I don't think I can do it because I believe I can obtain both if given the time and effort to study what I need to know.

I guess I have some studying to do
    Continue with your quest for knowledge and keep in mind that not knowing something is often more comfortable to others than it is to know it; that requires work.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel very similarly to you NewGuy. I'm actually about to finish a 4 year college degree that I never thought I would. It will do me almost no good, but shows that I did it. I think I will get my ABO-AC after that.

I guess I need to learn more about what is involved in the ABO-AC

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi New Guy,
    I live in WI which is a non-licensed state. I am one of the few in the state that have their ABOM and NCLE-AC. I did not do it for the extra pay but for my personal achievement, I learned alot going through the process of studing for each test and do not regret it at all. When I took the ABO-AC alot of it was on business management and the advanced optical math. Good Luck and if you need any help we are all here to help!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take the tests. What you learn will be far more valuable than the piece of paper. I can't say with certainty that my ABOM led to higher pay, but it did give me instant credibility with my current employer and in other venues as well.

Thread Information