Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OD vs Ophthalmalogist. Who's Rx would you trust more?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not that I'm sure it is relevant, but here is...

The Optometric Oath

With full deliberation I freely and solemnly pledge that: I will practice the art and science of optometry faithfully and conscientiously, and to the fullest scope of my competence. I will uphold and honorably promote by example and action the highest standards, ethics and ideals of my chosen profession and the honor of the degree, Doctor of Optometry, which has been granted me.
    I WILL provide professional care for those who seek my services, with concern, with compassion and with due regard for their human rights and dignity.
    I WILL place the treatment of those who seek my care above personal gain and strive to see that none shall lack for proper care.
    I WILL hold as privileged and inviolable all information entrusted to me in confidence by my patients.
    I WILL advise my patients fully and honestly of all which may serve to restore, maintain or enhance their vision and general health.
    I WILL strive continuously to broaden my knowledge and skills so that my patients may benefit from all new and efficacious means to enhance the care of human vision.
    I WILL share information cordially and unselfishly with my fellow optometrists and other professionals for the benefit of patients and the advancement of human knowledge and welfare. I will do my utmost to serve my community, my country and humankind as a citizen as well as an optometrist.
    I HEREBY commit myself to be steadfast in the performance of this my solemn oath and obligation.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd trial lens each rx on the patient if you have access. If not, you can mark the axis on stock finished lenses and manually do it. Gives the patient more confidence in what you do for them. If you don't have access to either stock lenses or trial frames, then definitely have a third doctor check the rx.
    "You can't think about it, you just gotta let your brain do the work....."
    my dad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    It's not the years of education - it does not take that long to learn how to "refract". Besides, most refractometers on the market are cheap enough that anyone can afford one and will find "the cylinder" in about 1 second. The PRESCRIBED prescription is another matter. Prescribing should be based on a patient's visual requirements- accounting for (among other things) health (is he/she diabetic, got cataracts etc...), binocular vision status and previous refractive correction - to assume one is necessarily wrong because it is from an OD or an MD, or one has cylinder when it "shouldn't" (or vice versa), is nonsense. There is no "trusting" an MD more or less than an "OD" - that is horse crap. Do your job and figure it out.
    Maybe both are "wrong". Maybe both are "right". Deal with it. That's why you are a licensed professional, and why dispensing glasses, just like prescribing glasses, is a professional act (or should be) - you need to research (like ask questions!), analyze, think, counsel and make decisions with and for your client. Asking people on a forum which of the 2 to trust - maybe fun and provocative, but is professionally useless.
    And here's the ONLY real answer. Bingo.

Thread Information