Thread: How can I remove edge polish?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How can I remove edge polish?

Received a drill mount job from our lab that we specifically requested NO POLISH on and it came back shinier than Mr. Clean.

How can I dull the edges McGuyver-style (we have no lab capacities here other than hand tools) to reduce the luster without damaging the lenses?

Thank you!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Very fine grit sandpaper, and be careful not to scratch the lenses.... also, good luck maintaining the original shape and getting an even amount of "non-polish" around the lens. I advise using the sandpaper by hand, and not using, say, a belt sander. If you're feeling like the most brave (and foolish) person in the world, you can try a Dremel with a very fine abrasive attachment. I'd say using that method would require a miracle every time you blink not to damage the lenses. Although using a stand to hold the Dremel instead of doing that part by hand might be easier. Just don't sneeze.

Better yet, get your lab to remake the lenses correctly.

Edit: Sorry, I almost forgot, if the lenses are Poly, some acetone around the edge will clear the problem right up... or rather, I guess, cloud it up.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As WFruit stated, fine grit sandpaper (or fining pad from the lab!) is the best way. Take time, be gentle.. and good luck :P
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the job's not too old, I agree, send it back and have them do it. You can ask the lab for a couple fining pads, which are very fine sand paper. We keep a few of them around for such an occasion. I would be hesitant to use acetone on any poly. The lens can actually crack from using it.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    As WFruit stated, fine grit sandpaper (or fining pad from the lab!) is the best way. Take time, be gentle.. and good luck :P
    I've used 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    If the job's not too old, I agree, send it back and have them do it. You can ask the lab for a couple fining pads, which are very fine sand paper. We keep a few of them around for such an occasion. I would be hesitant to use acetone on any poly. The lens can actually crack from using it.
    Only if it gets onto an ucoated part of the lens, or in under the hard coat. Sealing the edges with high gloss clear nail polish will prevent that however.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Jefe said. 400 grit wet/dry sand paper. I have only ever seen in grey in color. Most any hardware store has it. Fold it a couple times so that you can get a controlling grip on the paper between your digits. You can sand it wet or dry, makes no difference. Be sure you take the lens out of the frame to do it. Keeps from scuffing up the frame any. Its not science. If you can use a Emory board on your finger nails you can knock the polish off the edge of a lens.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Use a "scratch brush" fiberglass eraser, (cheap from Amazon) MUCH safer than sandpaper!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not ever heard of a scratch brush Glenn. I will keep that in mind. Sometimes though it does not matter what one uses, if they have poor manual dexterity its a moot point. They going to damage the lens anyway. Just seems that way to me sometimes.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    We use that fiber glass eraser all the time to clean up after gold welding a broken frame, it cleans up the welds nicely...we have been using since the 1950's to remove
    water spots from GLASS lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Fluegge View Post
    We use that fiber glass eraser all the time to clean up after gold welding a broken frame, it cleans up the welds nicely...we have been using since the 1950's to remove
    water spots from GLASS lenses.
    Off topic, how does it work on bad acne.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Glenn I found a ink eraser to work pretty good for the water spots on glass and ok for the welds. I looked at the fiber glass eraser on Amazon as you said and I can see how that would work very well on solder points.

Paul Smith.......use acetone

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the practical tips! What if the opposite situation arises, where I want to increase the luster of the edge without lab polishing equipment? Whats the easiest way to clean up the edge on the fly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    Thanks for the practical tips! What if the opposite situation arises, where I want to increase the luster of the edge without lab polishing equipment? Whats the easiest way to clean up the edge on the fly?
    Chris Ryser's poly edge polish liquid for polycarbonate; otherwise, a polishing wheel is the only way to go.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On a related note, how does that HINT OF TINT stuff from storman normans hold up after a few months?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    On a related note, how does that HINT OF TINT stuff from storman normans hold up after a few months?
    it doesn't!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=ak47;499827]On a related note, how does that HINT OF TINT stuff from storman normans hold up after a few months?[/QUOTE/)
    There is no hint o tint after a few days.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper poly edge polish liquid for Polycarbonate ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post

Chris Ryser's poly edge polish liquid for polycarbonate; otherwise, a polishing wheel is the only way to go.

jefe: A perfect answer...............................

Our "PolyEdge Polish" will even clean in seconds those dull headlights on cars that have oxidized to a dull appearance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Our "PolyEdge Polish" will even clean in seconds those dull headlights on cars that have oxidized to a dull appearance.
    But the post on Pinterest says to use toothpaste! HAHA

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper But the post on Pinterest says to use toothpaste! HAHA ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post

But the post on Pinterest says to use toothpaste! HAHA

I could send you a big tube of tooth paste, (the ones from Costco) and then you have somebody take a video polishing a car headlight with a toothbrush for the next 24 hours ......................

.................while I wipe the headlight clean and shiny with a wet rag with Poly Edge Polish in 2 to 5 seconds.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-15-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's awesome. Maybe also take a video of someone whitening their teeth with charcoal. That one comes up a lot too. Yuck!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drywall Sanding Sponge. I do this all the time on the bottoms and tops of lenses (to remove reflections) while leaving the temporal areas polished.

Soak the sponge in water, use light pressure, then more if necessary. Lots of water. One sponge will last a lifetime.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Drywall Sanding Sponge. I do this all the time on the bottoms and tops of lenses (to remove reflections) while leaving the temporal areas polished.

Soak the sponge in water, use light pressure, then more if necessary. Lots of water. One sponge will last a lifetime.
    Does it look weird to have only the sides polished? I've never seen that done before.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is not noticeable outside of them not seeing reflections when they look down or up. The sponge creates a smoother duller version of the polish.

:edit: I realize I may have been confusing someone. I do this to lenses mounted in a metal eye wire, not in drillmounted pairs. Though I have removed polish in drill mounts using the sanding sponge technique, I did it all the way around. Sanding Sponge is the best way to do this.
    Last edited by Tallboy; 01-15-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Besides these great suggestions, you can simply cover the lens in packing tape and cut around the edges with siccors to keep the front and back from scratching by an accidental swipe.

Thread Information