Thread: Shortfall in dispensing

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Shortfall in dispensing

Hi
    I am originally a foreign ophthalmologist and I recently got Ontario license of optometry after a short bridging program (IOBP).
    I have weakness in the field of dispensing (glasses and contact lenses), I am posting this hoping to get information and advice about finding a short program in Ontario, not more than 6 months duration that can help me to get rid of this shortfall.
    Thank you for any advice.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    To Dr Golan,
    As I live in the neighbouring state of Michigan, I know there was a two year program available in Ontario, but I checked recently, there is some online courses available.
    http://opticians-canada.com/OAC/index.asp?id=26
    As you are already possess the drive and determination as well as qualifications, I would recommend hiring someone at your office (optometrist and/or optician) to teach you or work at a dispensary to gain experience. I think actual hands on training would be the best as most things cannot be learned by classes. Michigan is a non certification state so I had no choice. I took the national test just to make sure my skills were in check and to have it on my resume. The ABO or NCLE test can be signed up anytime of the year, and it is self study. (may be an option as materials are easily available free/ purchase online) Of course there is a big argument about certified vs non certified opticians which may show up after my response, but since you are ophthalmologist / optometrist, the certification argument should not be an issue.
    Best of luck!
    Last edited by Oculista Carioca; 01-11-2015 at 02:11 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you Oculista Carioca for your reply and advice, working side by side with an optician is a good idea to get experience

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Find an ABO study guide online or order a book. You don't need to neccessarily take the ABO exam but the guides have all the key information you are probably looking for. Or if you know any of the lab reps in your area, many of them are past opticians and they could be great resources for you.

I also noticed you are looking for an office to hang you license so if you find work with an optical they will have opticians that will help. Try to find a local optical store that leases the exam chair to optom's. That way you can work and learn at the same time.

Thread Information