Thread: Davis Vision lens cracking

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Davis Vision lens cracking

Has anyone else having issues with Davis vision lenses cracking as of late. I have had 3 this week all sold within the last 6 months.

Yet another reason to love the fine folks as Davis.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not had that issue lately with them but will definitely will be on the look out. Then again, why should I be surprised? This is a company and lab that once admitted in front of state senators and legislators here in Pennsylvania several years ago that they do not perform quality checks on their lab orders because less than 10% of them comeback wrong....

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    I have not had that issue lately with them but will definitely will be on the look out. Then again, why should I be surprised? This is a company and lab that once admitted in front of state senators and legislators here in Pennsylvania several years ago that they do not perform quality checks on their lab orders because less than 10% of them comeback wrong....
    You most certainly mean less than 90%, right ??

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    You most certainly mean less than 90%, right ??
    It is probably closer to that. But I attended a hearing at the University of Pittsburgh back in 2006 or 2007 where in front of a panel of various state representatives, they stated that quality checks were rarely performed because they had less than 10% of their orders sent back to them for being wrong. Of course this caused quite a stir from the private labs who all stated that if they had 10% of their work come back wrong, they would be out of business.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Poly? Cracking at the screw? Don't loc tight the screws on poly.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our store stopped using Davis during their awful labor hassle. Their frames were an embarrassment and their lab work terrible. Crush labor and suffer the result, in this case...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We haven't had any cracked lenses this week.... but I had 3 that came back with crazed lenses (like the chuck pressure was too high) and 2 frames with huge scratches. Their quality is horrible. I am still trying to get a job from Nov 18 to pass my inspection. lenses finally came back good, but frame was badly scratched. So instead of waiting for Davis to fix it...WE have ordered a new frame (which was on back order). Pt is not pleased. And it happens all the time. Unfortunately my hands are tied on what insurances to accept. Management will not drop them because we have the corporate Highmark building across the street and a few vision works very close to us. The worst thing is that most of the Highmark employees that come for their glasses expect them to be done faster for them because they are a Highmark employee. What??? So when they don't pass inspection, they get angry. I HATE DAVIS!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A very helpful Davis tip:

Davis doesn't give a rats a$$ about making you happy.
    In fact they seem rather focused on making you unhappy...

Davis does care VERY MUCH about making the companies that they sell their plans to happy.

Have the PATIENT call their HR department and have them go after Davis directly.
    You might be surprised at the results!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Except in my case where Highmark and Davis are one in the same. Nothing can be done there. Most of them don't believe that is a Davis problem and that it is on our end and the ones that do believe us just shake their heads.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And now...they are so slow because their computers are overwhelmed. Now that Obama care plans have Davis, even more use of their website and it is overwhelmed. nice.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe the root of the problem is how they've structured their lab incentives.

I remember a few years ago that they base their work on giving 4 person "teams" a set number of jobs- Let's say 500 and when the teams 500 jobs are done they can go home. Whether they're accurate is not in the equation.

Not sure that's the current structure but if it is it explains a lot as far as quality issues go.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That certainly makes sense. The other thing is their turn around time. They might get an order done in a week, but you have to send it back and have it redone, they don't include it as part of their turn around time. So to a patient it may take 2 months, but to Davis it only took a week. (We are sure to call the patient and tell them when they come in and don't pass our inspection) It is such a mess!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    One pearl of wisdom here on remakes from Davis. If the job comes in wrong, reorder just the correct lens and don't send the frame back. The correct lens comes in (and hopefully is sized correctly) and it can be reinserted into the frame. Davis had a bad habit of losing (yes losing) complete jobs that were sent back. I even had a job stolen at their lab. It was a D&G frame of a patient and we had the UPS paperwork that it was delivered to the lab and then poof -gone. I had the patient present them a retail reecipt for the frame and they paid her directly!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's a great idea...however so often the lenses come in and are the wrong size. (and FT as well as progressives are always twisted!!!!!) Plus...not sure if you were aware, but if they make the lens wrong... you only have 7 days to tell them it is incorrect or they won't remake it. So if you have a scratch warranty and order lenses only, the patient must come in within 7 days from the date they ship it out of the lab. And if you call at the end of the day and they are busy, then you could miss it. What the heck! And I know about lost frames. The other problem is lost lenses....I had a patient use his own groove rimless. We sent it and they ditched the lenses without doing a tracing. Lost the lenses... Frame is old. No markings to tell what brand/model. Nice. We do have our patients sign a waver about using own frame, but this is just nuts!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I believe the root of the problem is how they've structured their lab incentives.

I remember a few years ago that they base their work on giving 4 person "teams" a set number of jobs- Let's say 500 and when the teams 500 jobs are done they can go home. Whether they're accurate is not in the equation.

Not sure that's the current structure but if it is it explains a lot as far as quality issues go.
    Sounds like the old communistic manufacturing model.

a factory needs to produce 1 ton of nails, so instead of making a million nails weighing X amount, they make one nail weighing one ton and calling it a day.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    Sounds like the old communistic manufacturing model.

a factory needs to produce 1 ton of nails, so instead of making a million nails weighing X amount, they make one nail weighing one ton and calling it a day.
    More like the I Love Lucy episode with the chocolate candy conveyor that continually speeds up!!!

Thread Information