Thread: Planning a trip to Gaspesie - need some advice!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Planning a trip to Gaspesie - need some advice!

We are planning a trip to Gaspe and Perce for probably late June. I have been there before (about 15 years ago) but my husband has never been there. I've been on Trip Advisor, etc., but I am hoping that someone here can give us some more advice as to what to do and what to avoid. His family is from Chicoutimi, so on the way we may want to stop there. It will be a very long motor trip for us (we are near Syracuse NY), but we have allotted 10 days, and will come back through the Dalhousie ferry and NB. Then into Maine. We'd love to visit Canadian opticians along the way (not to stay with them,but just to see how Canadian opticals work). Can anyone chime in with advice?

PS - I know it's a bit "hokey" but I want hubby to experience Magnetic Hill in NB.
    I speak some French,so that will make things a bit easier for him in Quebec. He only knows "c'est si bon" and how to order lobster...at least he knows the word homard.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are passing through Moncton, NB stop for lunch at GRAFFITIS on the Main Street. After Magnetic Hill be sure to see the Hopewell Rocks and Bay of Fundy. The Hopewell Rocks are far more interesting than Magnetic Hill. Do the Hopewell Rocks early in the day as the park closes at 5:00 I believe. Pay attention to the warning signs. The tide comes in fast.

The Tidal Bore in the Moncton area was a huge disappointment and aptly named, however it's probably a bore today as a result of controlled dams.

There is also Reversing Falls but I have never seen it.

If you have time head over to the Nova Scotia side and spend a day, starting early, and do the CABOT TRAIL trip as it's absolutely gorgeous. Nova Scotia and Cabot Trail is far more interesting to me than most things I have toured in NB except for the Hopewell Rocks/Bay of Fundy.

On the Cabot Trail, if you have time, stop at Bedeque (? Spelling ? ) to see the Alexander Graham Bell museum, it was fascinating but more so because of all the non telephone interests he had. I had no interest in Fort Louisburg although I did go through it.

On the return through Maine stop over for a day or a week to see Ogunquit, Maine. Beautiful area, although a tourist town. see the theatre there. Very picturesque. See Tom and Gerrys along the way.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you get near Shediac, NB the Lobster Festival is not to be missed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks all - We have been to Baddeck (and the famous Baddeck Lobster Supper), the Cabot Trail, Chetticamp, the Salmon Fishing Museum in the Margaree Valley, Shediac, and "passed through" Moncton. This time we may try your recommendations for food and local attractions there. I was hoping for some Canadian ECPs to respond also, as we'd like to stop in and visit a bit. We will be stopping in Kennebunkport ME on the way back. Nobody out there from the Gaspe peninsula?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What did you like most on your trips through that area of Canada ?
    Last edited by idispense; 01-07-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    What did you like most on your trips through that area of Canada ?
    Perce rock and Bonaventure island (boat trip) - the ferry crossings - Digby scallops! - Chetticamp, and the beautiful Cabot Trail - Baddeck Lobster Supper - Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg... but the best part for me was having periwinkles in butter & garlic in a restaurant overlooking Perce. When I was a kid we collected periwinkles on the rocks of Cape Cod Bay, but it had been over 50 years since I had last eaten them. OK - not an "attraction", but perhaps a bit of Proustian memory.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Sharon........I know you like visiting Quebec which has beautiful landscapes and tons of blue berries in summer that you can pick at the side of roads,

However do not forget that cyclist's have the right of the roads in Quebec.
    They ride their bikes on the wrong side of the roads, go through stops signs and red lights without moving their head to the right nor left side.

Police does not stop and give them tickets not teach them what to do, well knowing that most of them have also cars. Quebec cyclist's own the roads as soon as they feel the pedals under their feet, ............so watch out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Sharon........I know you like visiting Quebec which has beautiful landscapes and tons of blue berries in summer that you can pick at the side of roads,

However do not forget that cyclist's have the right of the roads in Quebec.
    They ride their bikes on the wrong side of the roads, go through stops signs and red lights without moving their head to the right nor left side.
    Police does not stop and give them tickets not teach them what to do, well knowing that most of them have also cars. Quebec cyclist's own the roads as soon as they feel the pedals under their feet, ............so watch out.
    Thanks Chris - I have also been one of the cyclists, but I did obey the laws of the road. I have taken my bike into Quebec, NB, BC (where I got a fine for not wearing a helmet - ouch!) and NS. My most bikeable city is Montreal. There are so many trails, and my favorite is the Lachine canal. Unfortunately, I can no longer bike due to a spinal problem. But I can still shop at Atwater Marche!

Thread Information