Thread: Hello I'm an Optician's Apprentice

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Hello I'm an Optician's Apprentice

Hello,

I just went into an apprenticeship in New York City for Ophthalmic Dispensing. I know I'm supposed to read the texts and pass a written and a practical exam for my license but the information on when and where you're supposed to take them are kind of vague. Can anyone familiar with New York State's system give me any advice or comments on certification.

I spent about $800 dollars on 3 volumes by "National Academy of Opticianry" (which were mandatory texts for certification) and a couple hundred more a couple other textbooks, so far I'm not getting much information regarding certification. I see that you're supposed to finish each of the books and go over them with your mentor for end of book tests and then they would send you another volume should you pass their test. The problem is they already sent me all 3 volumes from the start...

Rising Star OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you filled your paper work with the State Board? If not, the Books Tests etc. don't mean a thing. You should receive some detailed instruction in the state packet. What is your mentor telling you? They need to sign papers as well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarx View Post
    Have you filled your paper work with the State Board? If not, the Books Tests etc. don't mean a thing. You should receive some detailed instruction in the state packet. What is your mentor telling you? They need to sign papers as well.
    I already received my Trainee Permit but they haven't really mailed anything else for my mentor or I to sign. This is my mentor's first time taking an apprentice through this program, he himself studied at the Technical Career Institute many years ago and was mentored by an Ophthalmologist for several years before he started his own business.

Aside from my reading material and my permit I'm sort of confused as to what other details i am needed to fill out, the State Board's website is very very vague.

Rising Star OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/od/odlic.htm this should answer most of your questions. I recommend that you set a time line for completion of each of the chapters of the ABO so that you may sit for the practical in 2 year. As the site says your mentor must fill out a form documenting that you have completed 2400 hours of on the job training as well as completing the ABO requirements. It is your responsibility to contact the ABO each time you submit a test and have them forward your results to the NYS ED. office of the Professions Ophthalmic Dispensing Department. If you have further questions I suggest you get in contact with the NYS Society of Opticians. Capitol Hill Management the managing firm of NYSSO gives the exam. You may find they will be most helpful a well. BEST OF LUCK on the pursuit of your new career.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It appears that you have the National Academy's (NAO) Career Progression Program (the study books you described). That program is a key part of the trainee process in NY. The chapter tests need to be submitted to the NAO as you complete them. They will forward the results to NYS Ed. Dept. That process should make you ready for the ABO exam, which is administered by the American Board of Opticianry (separate from the NAO). The ABO will also submit your results to NYS Ed. Those two tasks,plus putting in your 2400 hours at work, will make you eligible for the NYS practical exam.Feel free to PM me if you have other questions or concerns, and lots luck!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks a lot guys, yeah I just found the Q&A for the program. I'm really excited to learn more, though I'm still a bit nervous when taking Heights for Progressive Lenses. I'm told to adjust the glasses and let the patient wear it before I dot it for the height, sometimes I end up with different numbers though because some patients wear their glasses differently every time (Although usually the PD's usually match). I'm also told that you can match heights for both eyes if the heights between eyes aren't very large (1 mm?). Lots of stuff to read and learn.

Thread Information