Thread: reading glasses Kiosk

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

reading glasses Kiosk

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmmm, sounds like an automated Optical dispensary. Isn't this what we as opticians already do??? I understand the concept about the same reading Rx (OTC readers), but what they are talking about is already in place. They are just leaving out correction for distance, astigmatism, prism, and everything else. I really truly dislike this. Isn't online competitors enough?????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ioptical72 View Post
    Hmmmm, sounds like an automated Optical dispensary. Isn't this what we as opticians already do??? I understand the concept about the same reading Rx (OTC readers), but what they are talking about is already in place. They are just leaving out correction for distance, astigmatism, prism, and everything else. I really truly dislike this. Isn't online competitors enough?????
    Actually, this doesn't sound like anything close to what an optician can do. This is closer to refracting and dispensing I would be interested in hearing what the OD's on the board have to say.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Actually, this doesn't sound like anything close to what an optician can do. This is closer to refracting and dispensing I would be interested in hearing what the OD's on the board have to say.
    I agree. Could what they are planning be considered refracting or could it be considered aiding the public in self-refracting? How would that hold up legally if challenged by an Optometry Board? If the Board looses, would that not open up the possibility of any optical shop offering refractive/self refractive services ala B.C Canada? It will be interesting to follow this...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sounds like they'll be dispensing glasses with autoref results, oh dear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting that no one in the article said anything about having to have a Rx from a Dr. Or about the existing regulations of this profession. Or how they might have to navigate those waters. Or if those thoughts had even crossed their mind yet.
    To me that would be one of the first issues to address before pumping money into a project that may get hung up in litigation. Only ones that will make money off it then will be the attorneys. Whoever has the most money and attorney that will make the most noise will win.
    We all know technology is there to do it. Just need to bring it all together in a cost effective manner that the consumer will buy.

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It looks like they have a gizmo that allows you to determine the correct reading magnification for each eye. If you need two different magnifications, it will give you a reader with two different lenses. They claim there are 20 million people that need reading glasses with lenses of different strengths. It sounds like a high tech refinement of current displays you see for readers that allows you to look at print and select the correct magnification. With this new technology, you pick the strength by eye.

Quote: "Our ultimate goal is to build a brand of glasses that is of quality and easy to use that will lead to an exit."

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    More quotes.

We can bring innovation into a market that's lacking it.
    Eventually, we want to introduce sunglasses, no-line bifocals and computer reading glasses.
    Translation: we will take advantage of existing loopholes and unregulated market, play doctor w/o a license, and profit from a poor and ignorant populace. We challenge you to shut us down.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information