Thread: ONCE AGAIN,AFTER YOU THINK YOU HEARD IT ALL

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    guy calls on the phone, and says i dyed my contacts red with food coloring, will this stop them from breathing oxygen.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actualy many many years ago there were several labs that would dye them (PMMA) lenses. If you ever worked (polished or changed the peripheral curves) on them the dye came off in the areas you worked on.

Very old contact lens technician.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Blue Jumper

we heard here a few months back, that teenagers were dying their contacts with food colors to change the color of their eyes. they were using their disposable lenses and when they got close to disposal time they would dye them... the news article also reported that some kids were using cloths dye people will do lots of things with their contacts and then say ! you didnt tell me i couldnt do that ! so when i deal with teens i explain many different dangers to them, show them posters... makes them think twice (for only a few seconds probably) and then they think ! cant happen to me !... i once had a patient cry cause they werentgoing to be able to wear their contacts for a while... -9.00 and a corneal erosion and has NO glasses (patient didnt even want to have their eye examined... friend who i had fit asked me to take a look at their friends eye) people just dont realize how dangerous contacts really can be if not treated properly

[This message has been edited by jillybean (edited 10-29-2000).]

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jillybean, had the same problem many times. One phone call went something like this. "my daughters eye is all red and sore and stuff is coming out of it, what should I do?" "have her remove her contacts and come right in." "she wont take the lens out, what should I do?" "HAVE HER REMOVE HER LENSES AND COME RIGHT IN." "But she refuses to take the lenses out, and she wont come in because you'll tell her to take her lenses out. what should I do?" "Let me speak to her." "she wont talk to you. what should I do?" "Ma'am, MAKE her take her lenses out." "she wont." "OK, tell her those lenses are out in 10 seconds or thats the last pair she'll ever get from me, and she cant get them anywhere else without your consent." "I told her, and she's taking them out now." Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A hint. On all but the most stubborn teenager (and some adults) to stop dangerous practices (sleeping in lenses, spitting on lenses, stretching out the duration on disposable and other softlenses). I have the patient close their eyes and hold out their hand, then I place an artificial eye in it, and tell them this is what you are taking a chance on. When I hear them argue, "My friend does this and doesn't have a problem." I give them one of my cards that state I make custom artificial eyes, and tell them to: "Give her this, she'll need it sooner or later."

This not only cures my patient's habits, I often end up with the friend as a contact lens patient as she feels her practioner had neglected her by not warning her.

Chip(hard sell on hygiene) Anderson, FCLSA

Thread Information