Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Optician" or Optician...?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    And one should state which body of regulating agency they are forming their opinion from. National standards do not trump state standards and state does not trump national. But if you are in a state with a State Statue aka law, you had better abide by that statue or face legal repercussions brought on by the state. Most the time the state would rather not be bothered by such trivial matters.
    And then you can also have the State Board which will have its own set of guidelines they want you to play by.

I find that most people do not understand the differences in the regulating agency's and where their authority starts and stops. Most people do not understand the difference in a State Statute aka Law and Board Rule.
    When you do not understand these things that's when things get heated.
    In response to your first paragraph, second sentence, actually state does trump national. The National credentials have no bearing/weight in Washington State.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Perhaps because Utah has no licensing requirement and therefore no frame of reference?
    Judy, you know as well as anyone that there are more states not bothering with licensure, (and let's not forget this goes back to the 70's) it seems that this otherwise backwards state is ahead of the curve there. We all remember, of course, that there is no parity whatsoever between the states that do still cling to licensure. Some require some flavor of training, schooling, or apprentice work, while others - simply a pulse and perhaps an ABO certificate.

In sort, with every passing year, and every pair of online glasses sold in their respective arenas, the states that still use the license system seem to keep slipping closer to obscurity. No amount of grouching over who's title is bigger and longer is changing the momentum in that direction.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Certified Optician, Licensed Optician, whatever. I'm with Mr. Baker, do you know what you're doing?

Also, in a state with Licensure as a requirement, is there not a clause for a person to work under the license of a higher Licensee? (ie: Person works under an OD/MD) Also, is states where there is a license, who is the enforcer of the license?

The OAA made a huge todo over protecting the title 'Optician". They made all sorts of rules etc. a big announcement of their achievement and in the end it was a lot of talk without and bite.

To the original poster, If "Joe" passed the test, he's an optician. He simply works under your license.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drstewart74 View Post
    So I have a great question (well, in my mind it's great). I have seem some productive, and some, not so productive discussion's about the word Optician. Most of the post's I see are people raging mad claiming you CANNOT use the word Optician if you are not licensed. (Insert great question) Why do I see state certificates(from The American Board of Opticianry) that say: "Joe Smith" is a designated Certified Optician?? Now this, "joe Smith" passed his ABO in the state of Florida.

What say you??
    So someone asks a question they suspect will result in passionate response, then it does, then everyone wants to attack the response?
    Geez, can we not just answer the OP?
    My two cents:

If you pass the ABO, you are a certified optician by the American Board of Opticianry, good or bad, it's what we have to work with nationally at the moment.
    If you pass your state licensing requirements, if they exist, then you are a licensed optician in your state.
    No, most people don't know the difference.
    If you work in opticianry in what is generally seen as "the biz" i.e. fitting, repairing, ordering, edging, etc and you want to call yourself an optician personally I have no problem with it.
    I will say I work in a licensed state and if you claim to be an LDO and you aren't that would put my knickers in a twist. I am proud of what I worked hard to accomplish professionally, even if my years of experience taught me much more than studying for any certification testing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a side note, those of us in non licensed states are typically looked down on by those in licensed states as being less. Similar to OD's that work in commercial positions versus those in private practice. You may disagree, but it has been my experience when in groups their is typically a divide. In the comments this is again alluded to with no reason other than the posters perception.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Certified Optician, Licensed Optician, whatever. I'm with Mr. Baker, do you know what you're doing?

Also, in a state with Licensure as a requirement, is there not a clause for a person to work under the license of a higher Licensee? (ie: Person works under an OD/MD) Also, is states where there is a license, who is the enforcer of the license?

The OAA made a huge todo over protecting the title 'Optician". They made all sorts of rules etc. a big announcement of their achievement and in the end it was a lot of talk without and bite.

To the original poster, If "Joe" passed the test, he's an optician. He simply works under your license.
    In WA you can work under the license of an LDO,OD, or an OMD. You must however register with the state as a, Licensed Apprenticing Optician and complete the requirements of an LDO within 6 years.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    And let's not forget that some who have passed a test have no idea how to use those answers and formulas is real life settings... Who cares what "they" call you.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    SECTION 40-38-30. Unlawful to practice opticianry without license.

It is unlawful for a person to practice as an optician without being licensed in accordance with this chapter. A person who displays a sign or in any way advertises himself to be an optician is deemed to be practicing opticianry within the meaning of this chapter.

SECTION 40-38-200. Violations; penalty.

A person who violates a provision of this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than fifty thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year. Each violation constitutes a separate offense. Penalties provided for in this chapter or in Article 1, Chapter 1, Title 40 may be imposed against a corporation, association, or person aiding and abetting in a violation.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t40c038.php

Well, I think that pretty much covers it for my state. Any questions?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    I'm still not sure why people in licensing states call themselves a licensed optician, or LDO. As if there is any other kind, legally??? My license says "Optician". My optometrist friend's license says "Optometrist". He doesn't tell everyone he's a licensed optometrist. My MD doesn't tell everyone he's a licensed doctor. My dentist doesn't tell everyone he's a licensed dentist. It's pretty much understood. You guys are confusing yourselves with all this LDO crap. And NO, it is not legal for anyone certified by the ABO to call themselves an optician in my state, unless licensed.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    And one should state which body of regulating agency they are forming their opinion from. National standards do not trump state standards and state does not trump national. But if you are in a state with a State Statue aka law, you had better abide by that statue or face legal repercussions brought on by the state. Most the time the state would rather not be bothered by such trivial matters.
    And then you can also have the State Board which will have its own set of guidelines they want you to play by.

I find that most people do not understand the differences in the regulating agency's and where their authority starts and stops. Most people do not understand the difference in a State Statute aka Law and Board Rule.
    When you do not understand these things that's when things get heated.
    Voluntary standards created by a certifying body do not trump state LAWS, but state LAWS certainly do trump voluntary standards.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use the term LDO because in my state I earned a LICENSE of which which I am very proud. It is not necessary to have one to work in opticianry in my state, it was my choice to further my education and training to earn it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    It is not necessary to have one to work in opticianry in my state, it was my choice to further my education and training to earn it.
    Don't let Diane Drake hear you say that.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. My original license (the one in the nice frame) designates me as a Registered Optician (#891).
    2. I worked hard to achieve this goal and I do no tolerate anyone who attempts to circumvent the regulations that govern my professional conduct. This is probably the reason we in licensed states identify as "licensed Opticians" as opposed to many ODs and MDs who consistently slap the title on a staff member, primarily to avoid paying higher wages.
    3. I have very little respect for anyone who, for what ever reason denigrates my license or any other license or certification as nothing more than a financial boondoggle. I do have great respect for anyone who pursues and attains the highest level of professional credentials available in their state.
    4. There are state level Opticians Associations who consistently pursue licensure, a nearly impossible task in the face of opposition from organized Optometry and the NAOO.
    5. If any of you have read Dr. McDonald's research and writings on the public perception of Opticians, you will remember that the public assumes that Opticians are college-educated and regulated, as are the other O's.

AND for the record, Keith and I spent a glorious, if cold, week in the Chicago area with our kids and grandkids.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 12-01-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Don't let Diane Drake hear you say that.
    +1 =)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the great state of PA, there is no license. There is basically nothing...and no one cares. I worked hard to learn what I have and passed the ABO. My business card says Certified Optician and I have ABOC after my name. I feel I should distinguish myself apart from the knuckleheads at the chain stores that are still in high school calling themselves an optician. That's just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    In the great state of PA, there is no license. There is basically nothing...and no one cares. I worked hard to learn what I have and passed the ABO. My business card says Certified Optician and I have ABOC after my name. I feel I should distinguish myself apart from the knuckleheads at the chain stores that are still in high school calling themselves an optician. That's just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Ah yes, what a great state this is. You need a license to cut hair but do not need a license to be an optician. And of course when they did attempt to become a licensed state, it was done half assed, opposed by the big boys and eventually dropped altogether

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I stand corrected Wes and Paul. I have always known state trump's national. Hick-up on my part. My apologies to all. I know better.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In the great state of PA, there is no license. There is basically nothing...and no one cares.
    Exactly...if my glasses work, fine. I MIGHT come back in 2-5 years and get another pair. The few remaining patients that do actually care about certifications will be dead soon.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the great state of PA, there is no license.
    Aren't you in the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania???

My question---
    As my license says I am both licensed and registered in the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts which title LDO or RDO should be used on a say business card?

Let's have a clean fight- no low blows-- return to your corners and come out at the bell...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just my 2 cents - In NY "optician" is a legally protected term. No license = No optician
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr Finney, you say there is no such thing as "certified optician"....So why do I see certificates that say exactly that?? (Cert. from American Board of Opticianry)

Btw, I'm not a DR., lol, just my initials...and no, didn't plan that...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr Finney, you say there is no such thing as "certified optician"....So why do I see certificates that say exactly that?? (Cert. from American Board of Opticianry)

Because, in FL and any other state requiring a license to practice Opticianry, the state license supersedes the ABOC.

Occupation
    The only thing I find confusing about this whole situation is that it is so confusing for everyone else.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So I have a great question (well, in my mind it's great). I have seem some productive, and some, not so productive discussion's about the word Optician. Most of the post's I see are people raging mad claiming you CANNOT use the word Optician if you are not licensed. (Insert great question) Why do I see state certificates(from The American Board of Opticianry) that say: "Joe Smith" is a designated Certified Optician?? Now this, "joe Smith" passed his ABO in the state of Florida.

What say you??
    Hey, What the Heck are you concerned about. Here in Pennsylvania, we've got you all beat! Here, we can pull someone off the street (who can sell) and tell them to sell and call them an Optician. Opticians don't have to have any qualifications. They don't even have to know how to use a lensometer. What we really want is Mo Money! We sell transition lenses to old people who are confined to their bed in nursing homes. Mo Money! We sell cheap AR to roofers. We sell 1.67 hi index lenses to people who have a -0.50 sphere Rx OU. Why? Mo Money. Let them spiffs pile up. If they want to pay us $10 an hour, well, we have to make a living somehow. Let the public beware. Love it. We can double our take home pay just by selling people something they don't need. We're free in Pa. to call ourselves anything we want and nobody will say anything. New York state to our east and Ohio to our west both require licenses. But us, well, we just like it the way it is. The only thing is, you do have to be licensed to cut hair. Oh, well, maybe I can't call myself a barber.

SailorEd
    "Certified" Optician
    Last edited by SailorEd; 12-02-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Thread Information