Thread: microsoft access help?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

microsoft access help?

Can anyone provide me with a starting point in Microsoft access? i see the value and the appeal in creating my own database for storing patient information, but i just cant get it started from scratch.

If any of you could provide me with the template they'e using, or have developed themselves, I'd be so grateful I might even pay a small amount for it. I'm opening a small finish lab and i need a way to keep track of the rx information. I find it absolutely intolerable that I'll need to manually scan them to attach them to my quickbooks $ system, or that i can only keep manual paper records, OR spend thousands on a records system that's just completely overkill.

I'm just a finish lab. I literally only need to keep track of the date, the patient name, the account that ordered it, and the rx and lens type. This shouldn't be so damn difficult.

Again, whatever insight can be provided is appreciated.

-Zack

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiioptician View Post
    Can anyone provide me with a starting point in Microsoft access? i see the value and the appeal in creating my own database for storing patient information, but i just cant get it started from scratch.

If any of you could provide me with the template they'e using, or have developed themselves, I'd be so grateful I might even pay a small amount for it. I'm opening a small finish lab and i need a way to keep track of the rx information. I find it absolutely intolerable that I'll need to manually scan them to attach them to my quickbooks $ system, or that i can only keep manual paper records, OR spend thousands on a records system that's just completely overkill.

I'm just a finish lab. I literally only need to keep track of the date, the patient name, the account that ordered it, and the rx and lens type. This shouldn't be so damn difficult.

Again, whatever insight can be provided is appreciated.

-Zack
    I hate to be the guy who rains on parades but avoid access go with sql, it's more robust and business oriented then access and overcomes the limitations on access. Access is fantastic as a database to incorporate into other software more for settings and reference material but if you plan on expanding that database by adding new entries regularly the access database will let you down.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Do you have a website Zack?

One option that may have the potential to be simpler if you already have a website and are willing to pay a little bit of money is to consult a web developer to set you up a simple (closed) web form for managing the database that you want. The reason this may be easier is because most web servers come set up with a MySQL database already and it would be a straightforward task for a developer to set up a simple form for you to save this information to a database, update the information, and/or export it to a readable file for your quickbooks and if you have a website you likely already have the technology available to do it.

Just my two cents, let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

Thread Information