Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most Batsh*t Crazy Thing You've Heard a Patient Say?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Most Batsh*t Crazy Thing You've Heard a Patient Say?

A woman just walked into my store and called me a charlatan to my face. She then said that she didn't believe in doctors telling her what's best for her son's eyes. She likened the writing of an eyeglass prescription to finding a shoe size. Then, she claimed that she buys glasses online for her son, and whenever he's having trouble with his vision, she INCREASES THE NUMBERS ON THE PRESCRIPTION.

It ended with me saying that she was going to destroy her son's vision, her saying something unintelligible about vaccinations, and then walking out of my store.

So what's your best story?
    Sincerely,
    Chad Sobodash ABO-AC

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nothing nearly as bad but had a patient complain about her son's Anti-reflective coating having a few scratches on it even though I said it would be scratch resistant(as opposed to proof). I offered to remake the lenses since they were well under warranty still.

Only thing was she herself told me a couple weeks prior that this particular pair of glasses had been taken away from him because he threw them multiple times as well as twistin' 'em up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's been a while since this has happened, but it has occurred at least 2 or 3 times over the years:
    You take someone's old frame to reglaze with a new prescription. They return a few days later to pick up the glasses and abracadabra - all of a sudden this is not their old frame - no way no how is this the frame they left us - and they should know of course because they have worn these everyday for 5 years.
    Where do you even begin....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The coffee lady

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    It's been a while since this has happened, but it has occurred at least 2 or 3 times over the years:
    You take someone's old frame to reglaze with a new prescription. They return a few days later to pick up the glasses and abracadabra - all of a sudden this is not their old frame - no way no how is this the frame they left us - and they should know of course because they have worn these everyday for 5 years.
    Where do you even begin....
    A lady came in with a mangled frame, and wanted them adjusted. I took them back to the lab and spent about 15 minutes running them through the ultrasonic (they were filthy) , replacing the nose pads, and aligning the frame. All at no charge. When I brought the nice, clean, shiny frame back out for final adjustment she insisted they were not hers, because hers had brown nose pads. A "discussion" ensued, and she took the glasses and walked out. About 10 minutes later she walked back in with a container of hot coffee, and threw it at me. I am still baffled after all these years. I guess she was one of the 20% group (my supervising doctor at the time always maintained that 20% of the public is crazy).
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Story 2: had a young lady come in wanting an adjustment on her glasses. She then explains to me that her lenses are scratched and wants to have them replaced under her warranty. I inspect her glasses and didn't see even anything remotely looking like a scratch, they were fine. After explaining to her that her glasses were fine, she tells me she can see the scratches when she holds a magnifying glass up to them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, so it wasn't "said" by a patient...but i had a patient try to punch me when dispensing a +3 diopter grooved poly because the patient insisted that since he paid for the "thinner lenses" they should be as thin as..............................walk around store..................................wait for it...the silhouette demo lenses !!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Sobodash View Post
    A woman just walked into my store and called me a charlatan to my face. She then said that she didn't believe in doctors telling her what's best for her son's eyes. She likened the writing of an eyeglass prescription to finding a shoe size. Then, she claimed that she buys glasses online for her son, and whenever he's having trouble with his vision, she INCREASES THE NUMBERS ON THE PRESCRIPTION.

It ended with me saying that she was going to destroy her son's vision, her saying something unintelligible about vaccinations, and then walking out of my store.

So what's your best story?
    Sounds like Phil Hellmuth's White Magic.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lady comes in, wearing her eyeglasses on top of her head. Complains that when she wears her glasses that they fall off of her face. So I politely adjust them to fit her face, where they should belong. She tries them on, and says they feel great on her face but now they are too tight on her head when puts them there

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had a patient last year utterly refuse to listen to anyone in the office explain why his new progressives were going to be different than his single vision lenses. He grew increasingly agitated and loud, constantly interrupting me as I tried to calm him and explain that if he couldn't adjust after a week or so that we would be able to remake his lenses. He finally went to the front desk, almost literally growling, where he proceeded to sign his credit card receipt and then throw the pen across the room. He stormed out of the office, stood in front of the door, and shouted at the parking lot "Mister optician, I STILL CAN'T SEE!!!!!" before getting in his car and screeching away. If he had stuck around for another 30 seconds, or walked back into the office, I would have called 911.

We never heard from him again. I assume he either never got used to his glasses or he put them on first thing the next morning (as I had suggested) and had no troubles, resulting in him feeling like the biggest asshat on the planet.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have never had to do this, came close a few times though. I do everything I can to deescalate the issue, including stepping away and turn it over to someone else.
    But I have always said that I draw the line when it comes to physical assault from a customer/patient. That kind of behavior we do not need in our profession. There is always a extra room in the local county bar room hilton for them. I just don't want them coming back and shooting the place up.
    Which this leads me to another question I have always asked. With all the personality's we have to deal with why do we not ever get any ed hours in physiology so that we may better understand the type people we deal with and how to handle situations?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    I have never had to do this, came close a few times though. I do everything I can to deescalate the issue, including stepping away and turn it over to someone else.
    But I have always said that I draw the line when it comes to physical assault from a customer/patient. That kind of behavior we do not need in our profession. There is always a extra room in the local county bar room hilton for them. I just don't want them coming back and shooting the place up.
    Which this leads me to another question I have always asked. With all the personality's we have to deal with why do we not ever get any ed hours in physiology so that we may better understand the type people we deal with and how to handle situations?
    In our dispensary they always give me the difficult patients. Apparently they think I have a skill for working with the crazy ones because before I became an optician I worked as a Special Ed Aide in our area schools. So yes, I would say that education has really helped me a lot dealing with some patients!!! (and the occasional optician!)

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Patient complained of his lenses smelling burned for weeks after having Anti-Reflective applied. Another patient said their transitions lenses turned orange, but refused to come in and have them replaced.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Long time client (PhD candidate) brings in Rx from her new OMD. Tells me that she knows it's wrong, because the numbers don't look right. New Doc refracts in + cyl, old OD refracts in - cyl. Made the glasses according to new rx. Client picks them up and says she cannot see anything clearly. Tried to explain transposition as simply as possible. She doesn't believe me. Send her back to the OMD. I called the OMD and asked her do re-check and write in - cyl. Client is triumphant! The OMD was wrong! I carefully cleaned her new glasses and put them on the magic shelf for a week. Client picked up and her vision was perfect. #amindisaterriblethingtowaste

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Long time client (PhD candidate) brings in Rx from her new OMD. Tells me that she knows it's wrong, because the numbers don't look right. New Doc refracts in + cyl, old OD refracts in - cyl. Made the glasses according to new rx. Client picks them up and says she cannot see anything clearly. Tried to explain transposition as simply as possible. She doesn't believe me. Send her back to the OMD. I called the OMD and asked her do re-check and write in - cyl. Client is triumphant! The OMD was wrong! I carefully cleaned her new glasses and put them on the magic shelf for a week. Client picked up and her vision was perfect. #amindisaterriblethingtowaste
    I have dealt with something similar to this a few times. Funny how a "professional" telling a patient something fixes everything, while the glasses stay the same.
    Check us out on Facebook or our site Advanced Eyecare of Arizona.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nicely Done. I had a man like that not understand and said I was confused. S i got him a stock lens that had both RXs. See Sir its the same lens written both ways.....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    You have a magic shelf too?!? Imagine that. HAHAHAHA I don't know how any optical cannot have one!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    WE also had to invest in magical pliers and other various tools in addition to a magic shelf
    you cannot believe what a difference they make!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    WE also had to invest in magical pliers and other various tools in addition to a magic shelf
    you cannot believe what a difference they make!
    Not always magical... This happened to a colleague. A woman entered the store with a pair of glasses in urgent need of adjustment. She hadn't bought them there, and the optician told her that there was a risk that they could break, and that it would be better if she went back to the original store due to warranties and all. The woman told the optician that if he couldn't help her, she would do it herself and asked for the stand holding the pliers. She took a pair of pliers without looking too closely at them and applied them to the temple. *snip!* Turned out she had picked the side cutting pliers... She slunk out without any further comment.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About two years ago a pt. came in and asked if we could buff out the scratches in his glasses. I explained to him that we could not. He demanded that there had to be a way. A couple of weeks later he called back telling us he had gotten the scratches out of his glasses by rubbing toothpaste all over them. Haven't seen or heard from him since.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sold a man a woman's frame, reluctantly, because he insisted he wanted that frame. He picks up the glasses and he is thrilled with how they look. Two months later, after a visit to LC where they told him that he was wearing a woman's frame, he came in demanding a refund. I said we could do a "frame exchange" but he refused. He said he would get his money back or else. I said that's not possible at this point. He says "Imma get my money back even if I have to beat it outta you." The owner overheard and he was barred from the practice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Sold a man a woman's frame, reluctantly, because he insisted he wanted that frame. He picks up the glasses and he is thrilled with how they look. Two months later, after a visit to LC where they told him that he was wearing a woman's frame, he came in demanding a refund. I said we could do a "frame exchange" but he refused. He said he would get his money back or else. I said that's not possible at this point. He says "Imma get my money back even if I have to beat it outta you." The owner overheard and he was barred from the practice.
    Chances are very good that an LC associate suggested that your patient return those specs and come back to be fitted "properly".

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    sharon
    "doctor at the time always maintained that 20% of the public is crazy"

I have mentioned this in another post... a few of my pt college girls have actually changed their majors to psych/psycol
    after working here ...and seeing for themselves....there is an overwhelming need for this field!!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Sold a man a woman's frame, reluctantly, because he insisted he wanted that frame. He picks up the glasses and he is thrilled with how they look. Two months later, after a visit to LC where they told him that he was wearing a woman's frame, he came in demanding a refund.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glasses
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I once had a lady come into the office stating her vision in the left eye suddenly went bad while she was riding in the car with her husband. I noticed her left lens was missing and suggested she look on the floor of the car, where she indeed found the lens.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once had a 80 year old woman swear that I stole a $100 bill from her. She claimed that she paid her $20 copay as soon as she walked in the door and I never gave her the change back. I tried to explain that we do never collect a copay before exams because our computer system doesn't allow us to enter payment without a CPT and diagnosis code. She insisted I was lying and that I could clearly use the money. I should mention that I was 8 months pregnant and looked like I could pop at any moment. She stormed out of the office after screaming at me in front of about 20 other patients and called me a thief and a liar. Being pregnant and emotional, I had a good cry and was seriously worried that I would be fired after being accused of theft. Thank goodness the manager and doctor thought she was crazy and believed me. I worked at the practice for 6 years and had a wonderful reputation and knew that I would never do something like. I was off the next day and it turns out the lady came back in the office the following morning and asked for the manager to tell her that she wanted to apologize because she found the $100 bill in a different pocket in her purse.

Thread Information