Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Batsh*t Crazy Thing You've Heard a Patient Say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Batsh*t Crazy Thing You've Heard a Patient Say?

A woman just walked into my store and called me a charlatan to my face. She then said that she didn't believe in doctors telling her what's best for her son's eyes. She likened the writing of an eyeglass prescription to finding a shoe size. Then, she claimed that she buys glasses online for her son, and whenever he's having trouble with his vision, she INCREASES THE NUMBERS ON THE PRESCRIPTION.

It ended with me saying that she was going to destroy her son's vision, her saying something unintelligible about vaccinations, and then walking out of my store.

So what's your best story?
    Sincerely,
    Chad Sobodash ABO-AC

Nothing nearly as bad but had a patient complain about her son's Anti-reflective coating having a few scratches on it even though I said it would be scratch resistant(as opposed to proof). I offered to remake the lenses since they were well under warranty still.

Only thing was she herself told me a couple weeks prior that this particular pair of glasses had been taken away from him because he threw them multiple times as well as twistin' 'em up.

Comment

It's been a while since this has happened, but it has occurred at least 2 or 3 times over the years:
      You take someone's old frame to reglaze with a new prescription. They return a few days later to pick up the glasses and abracadabra - all of a sudden this is not their old frame - no way no how is this the frame they left us - and they should know of course because they have worn these everyday for 5 years.
      Where do you even begin....

Comment

Ok, so it wasn't "said" by a patient...but i had a patient try to punch me when dispensing a +3 diopter grooved poly because the patient insisted that since he paid for the "thinner lenses" they should be as thin as..............................walk around store..................................wait for it...the silhouette demo lenses !!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Sobodash View Post
          A woman just walked into my store and called me a charlatan to my face. She then said that she didn't believe in doctors telling her what's best for her son's eyes. She likened the writing of an eyeglass prescription to finding a shoe size. Then, she claimed that she buys glasses online for her son, and whenever he's having trouble with his vision, she INCREASES THE NUMBERS ON THE PRESCRIPTION.

It ended with me saying that she was going to destroy her son's vision, her saying something unintelligible about vaccinations, and then walking out of my store.

So what's your best story?
          Sounds like Phil Hellmuth's White Magic.

Comment

The coffee lady

Originally posted by optimensch View Post
            It's been a while since this has happened, but it has occurred at least 2 or 3 times over the years:
            You take someone's old frame to reglaze with a new prescription. They return a few days later to pick up the glasses and abracadabra - all of a sudden this is not their old frame - no way no how is this the frame they left us - and they should know of course because they have worn these everyday for 5 years.
            Where do you even begin....
            A lady came in with a mangled frame, and wanted them adjusted. I took them back to the lab and spent about 15 minutes running them through the ultrasonic (they were filthy) , replacing the nose pads, and aligning the frame. All at no charge. When I brought the nice, clean, shiny frame back out for final adjustment she insisted they were not hers, because hers had brown nose pads. A "discussion" ensued, and she took the glasses and walked out. About 10 minutes later she walked back in with a container of hot coffee, and threw it at me. I am still baffled after all these years. I guess she was one of the 20% group (my supervising doctor at the time always maintained that 20% of the public is crazy).
            Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Comment

Lady comes in, wearing her eyeglasses on top of her head. Complains that when she wears her glasses that they fall off of her face. So I politely adjust them to fit her face, where they should belong. She tries them on, and says they feel great on her face but now they are too tight on her head when puts them there
              Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Comment

Story 2: had a young lady come in wanting an adjustment on her glasses. She then explains to me that her lenses are scratched and wants to have them replaced under her warranty. I inspect her glasses and didn't see even anything remotely looking like a scratch, they were fine. After explaining to her that her glasses were fine, she tells me she can see the scratches when she holds a magnifying glass up to them.
                Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Comment

I had a patient last year utterly refuse to listen to anyone in the office explain why his new progressives were going to be different than his single vision lenses. He grew increasingly agitated and loud, constantly interrupting me as I tried to calm him and explain that if he couldn't adjust after a week or so that we would be able to remake his lenses. He finally went to the front desk, almost literally growling, where he proceeded to sign his credit card receipt and then throw the pen across the room. He stormed out of the office, stood in front of the door, and shouted at the parking lot "Mister optician, I STILL CAN'T SEE!!!!!" before getting in his car and screeching away. If he had stuck around for another 30 seconds, or walked back into the office, I would have called 911.

We never heard from him again. I assume he either never got used to his glasses or he put them on first thing the next morning (as I had suggested) and had no troubles, resulting in him feeling like the biggest asshat on the planet.
                  I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

I have never had to do this, came close a few times though. I do everything I can to deescalate the issue, including stepping away and turn it over to someone else.
                    But I have always said that I draw the line when it comes to physical assault from a customer/patient. That kind of behavior we do not need in our profession. There is always a extra room in the local county bar room hilton for them. I just don't want them coming back and shooting the place up.
                    Which this leads me to another question I have always asked. With all the personality's we have to deal with why do we not ever get any ed hours in physiology so that we may better understand the type people we deal with and how to handle situations?

Comment

Patient complained of his lenses smelling burned for weeks after having Anti-Reflective applied. Another patient said their transitions lenses turned orange, but refused to come in and have them replaced.

Comment

Long time client (PhD candidate) brings in Rx from her new OMD. Tells me that she knows it's wrong, because the numbers don't look right. New Doc refracts in + cyl, old OD refracts in - cyl. Made the glasses according to new rx. Client picks them up and says she cannot see anything clearly. Tried to explain transposition as simply as possible. She doesn't believe me. Send her back to the OMD. I called the OMD and asked her do re-check and write in - cyl. Client is triumphant! The OMD was wrong! I carefully cleaned her new glasses and put them on the magic shelf for a week. Client picked up and her vision was perfect. #amindisaterriblethingtowaste

Comment

Sold a man a woman's frame, reluctantly, because he insisted he wanted that frame. He picks up the glasses and he is thrilled with how they look. Two months later, after a visit to LC where they told him that he was wearing a woman's frame, he came in demanding a refund. I said we could do a "frame exchange" but he refused. He said he would get his money back or else. I said that's not possible at this point. He says "Imma get my money back even if I have to beat it outta you." The owner overheard and he was barred from the practice.

Comment

Originally posted by mdeimler View Post
                            Sold a man a woman's frame, reluctantly, because he insisted he wanted that frame. He picks up the glasses and he is thrilled with how they look. Two months later, after a visit to LC where they told him that he was wearing a woman's frame, he came in demanding a refund. I said we could do a "frame exchange" but he refused. He said he would get his money back or else. I said that's not possible at this point. He says "Imma get my money back even if I have to beat it outta you." The owner overheard and he was barred from the practice.
                            Chances are very good that an LC associate suggested that your patient return those specs and come back to be fitted "properly".

Comment

sharon
                              "doctor at the time always maintained that 20% of the public is crazy"

I have mentioned this in another post... a few of my pt college girls have actually changed their majors to psych/psycol
                              after working here ...and seeing for themselves....there is an overwhelming need for this field!!

Comment

Working...
                              X