Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
I once had a 80 year old woman swear that I stole a $100 bill from her. She claimed that she paid her $20 copay as soon as she walked in the door and I never gave her the change back. I tried to explain that we do never collect a copay before exams because our computer system doesn't allow us to enter payment without a CPT and diagnosis code. She insisted I was lying and that I could clearly use the money. I should mention that I was 8 months pregnant and looked like I could pop at any moment. She stormed out of the office after screaming at me in front of about 20 other patients and called me a thief and a liar. Being pregnant and emotional, I had a good cry and was seriously worried that I would be fired after being accused of theft. Thank goodness the manager and doctor thought she was crazy and believed me. I worked at the practice for 6 years and had a wonderful reputation and knew that I would never do something like. I was off the next day and it turns out the lady came back in the office the following morning and asked for the manager to tell her that she wanted to apologize because she found the $100 bill in a different pocket in her purse.
a small amount of consciousness can be a very dangerous thing.