Thread: Kappa Edger Barcode reader problem on edger

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Kappa Edger Barcode reader problem on edger

Hey!

I am using a Gerber Kappa and I like it but I am having an issue with data transfer.
    The barcode reader on the tracer works but the reader on the edger isn't retrieving the job data. It works for reading barcodes on the configuration sheet but not job barcodes.

Does anyone have any tips for me? My manual isn't very helpful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make sure that the software versions are the same on blocker and edger!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    How would I check that?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Beat on it. Sometimes that works. I used to bang mine on the table one time and it would work fine.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ha! I am very tempted to start banging! It is just really frustrating. The scanner works BC I can scan a job barcode but it beeps funny at me like it doesn't know what to do with it
    Last edited by labtech3030; 11-18-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by labtech3030 View Post
    Hey!

I am using a Gerber Kappa and I like it but I am having an issue with data transfer.
    The barcode reader on the tracer works but the reader on the edger isn't retrieving the job data. It works for reading barcodes on the configuration sheet but not job barcodes.

Does anyone have any tips for me? My manual isn't very helpful.
    I seem to remember the barcodes requiring an asterisks both before and after the Job ID to pull them. The barcodes are a fairly common 3 of 9 barcode font. Try downloading the font on a computer and creating a barcode for a known Job ID with the format:

*0045* - in 3 of 9 barcode format and see if that works. Download barcode here --> free3of9.zip <--

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Hmm I am using the barcodes that came with the edger... Why would they work on the tracer and not the edger?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like you have one running in gamma mode and one in kappa. That happened to me once and I called support and they were able to walk me through it. What error pops up on the edger when you go to transfer the data?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    No error pops up. It just gives me a funny beep and doesn't do anything else. I will look again but it looked like they were both running in kappa mode. It was purchased third party so I don't think we have any tech support.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you get into the back menu you should be able to pull up a screen that shows u an image of the blocker and one of the edger. When working properly they will both have a smiley face. Is that the case with yours? So just so I have an idea; you can scan a barcode, trace a frame, block a lens, but when you send the data over to the edger it just beeps with no error message?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    When I pull up that menu on the tracer blocker unit I get a smiley face next to the image of the edger. When I pull that menu up on the edger I get a smiley face next to the image of the tracer unit.

Yes I can scan a barcode, trace and block. I can use the transfer button to transfer. The job but I cannot use the scanner in the edger to pull up the job. It tries to scan, gives me a funny beep than nothing. It reads the barcodes to get into menus though.

Hopefully I am making sense.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hmmm alright, tough to figure when it does not give you an error message. Why do u need a scanner for the edger? After tracing I would hit the first button on the kappa and that would pull my shape up on the screen. That's not the case with yours I'm assuming? When everything is working what is the purpose of the scanner for the edger? There was one with mine, but I had never used it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I would like the option working for efficiency. I prep my trays and block one at a time. If the scanner worked I could block the whole stack of trays and just scan and go with the edger. J think at this point I am more annoyed that I can't figure it out lol

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would like the option working for efficiency. I prep my trays and block one at a time. If the scanner worked I could block the whole stack of trays and just scan and go with the edger. J think at this point I am more annoyed that I can't figure it out lol
    Do you have software between the two devices that stores and recalls this data? I have never set up a system where the tracer stores the traces for recall from the edger although I think it can work that way. Usually I have had Innovations as the software storing the trace data and allowing the edger to pull it up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way I was showed for mine, this won't work. Scanning is for shape only to the tracer, transfer tracing via shape recall on edger. Recall, layout, block, and then edge, tried and true. In my mind, still more efficient then the way you are trying to run it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm walking into this discussion 5 years late, so I imagine you've got it fixed, but just in case you don't, I had the same problem a couple years ago. Brian at Coburn
    support (800-262-8761) emailed me a barcode I didn't have which my reader couldn't read and he actually sent me his own reader (with my promise to return it) so I could get the fix with his talking me thru it. I guess you'd have to open an account, don't know what that would cost, but it's a great service.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    I'm walking into this discussion 5 years late, so I imagine you've got it fixed, but just in case you don't, I had the same problem a couple years ago. Brian at Coburn
    support (800-262-8761) emailed me a barcode I didn't have which my reader couldn't read and he actually sent me his own reader (with my promise to return it) so I could get the fix with his talking me thru it. I guess you'd have to open an account, don't know what that would cost, but it's a great service.
    Hi Can you share that barcode as i have similar problem and contacted coburn but they told me to contact essilor

Thread Information