Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can be there in 15 minutes when I close in 5.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I can be there in 15 minutes when I close in 5.

Recently I have had a couple patients that cannot make it here by closing time. I tell patients I am here tell 4:30 but I stay tell 5.Sometimes I need this time to clean up or to finish up paperwork.Usually what I tell people is I close at 4:30 but I can stay tell 5 for them. When they say they are on the way and will be there in 15 minutes and it is 4:50 I let them know I will only be there tell 5. If past experience has taught be anything is 15 minutes away usually means either 25 minutes or they decided to come in another time so I don't stay open anymore. I also find that when I have been gracious enough to stay open they do not return my hospitally and respect my time by making choices but want to spend 30 minutes casualy browsing glassss. I have also found this to be the case when I stop eating to help patients so I usually finish my meal before coming back early. I feel bad about that but I don't get paid for my lunch time so I don't feel to bad.

Just thought I would get some other opinions and make sure I am not being harsh or unfair. Generally its not that I mind staying 5 minutes late to do a repair or dispense a pair of glasses but if I stay 5 minutes late that usually gets me home 15 minutes later with traffic and their is no such thing as a quick repair or a simply adjustment after closing time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    have one night a week where you are open for late pickups and sales, say I close at 4 30 every day except montuesnesursfriday ... that way you are accommodating the people who need to do thnings after typical working hours? come in later that day as well ...
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have one day a week that we stay open till 7. I understand most people can't take off early for a repair or even a purchase since they get off work at 5pm. so Thursdays we are 10 to 7. easy fix. On those other days 5 to ten minutes is easy but I have been known to pull the "I would love to stay, but I have a scheduled appt that I cannot miss. I will happily help on our late night." We also have an early day for those early risers and the same scenario exists. Come in before you go into your 8am job.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i don't know of any optical that doesn't have at least 1 late night.try that for a while see if it helps,but be more firm on your 5pm closings.
    if any day works for you,find out which night you have the least places open and make that your night.you might find that 1 extra sale a week is worth it.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Experiencing it for almost 40 years and counting...

Get used to and accept it. It will not change.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just remember that their time is more important than your time. They are busy people and all you do is sit on a chair, waiting for THEM to come into your practice. This attitude will never get better, it will only grow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Recently I have had a couple patients that cannot make it here by closing time. I tell patients I am here tell 4:30 but I stay tell 5.Sometimes I need this time to clean up or to finish up paperwork.Usually what I tell people is I close at 4:30 but I can stay tell 5 for them. When they say they are on the way and will be there in 15 minutes and it is 4:50 I let them know I will only be there tell 5. If past experience has taught be anything is 15 minutes away usually means either 25 minutes or they decided to come in another time so I don't stay open anymore. I also find that when I have been gracious enough to stay open they do not return my hospitally and respect my time by making choices but want to spend 30 minutes casualy browsing glassss. I have also found this to be the case when I stop eating to help patients so I usually finish my meal before coming back early. I feel bad about that but I don't get paid for my lunch time so I don't feel to bad.

Just thought I would get some other opinions and make sure I am not being harsh or unfair. Generally its not that I mind staying 5 minutes late to do a repair or dispense a pair of glasses but if I stay 5 minutes late that usually gets me home 15 minutes later with traffic and their is no such thing as a quick repair or a simply adjustment after closing time.
    I totally agree with Uncle Fester, and after about the same amount of time in the biz. But, maybe I am way off base here, as this is not really a "patient" issue at all, sounds like a no respect from the owner to the optician issue. If your posted store hours are until 5, tell them you go home at 5, not 4:30 and you can stay until 5. As an owner, you cut my hours short, your gone, you stay late, I will pay you. Just today, we got busy at 4:55, and my lab guy stayed to cut a sv pair for a child. Finished cutting and then did the adjustments as well, now about 5:25. I had a good day, tossed him $30 bucks out of my pocket for the extra effort and time as he was leaving, as I did benefit from the sale.

Patients are always going to be all about them, period. Contact lens patients even worse. Your problem sounds to me like one of maybe a little too much work for you to handle, and not giving you any help for a lunch break. All this adds up to respect, and your not getting it.

Where is your owner BTW?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wileyguy View Post
    i don't know of any optical that doesn't have at least 1 late night.try that for a while see if it helps,but be more firm on your 5pm closings.
    if any day works for you,find out which night you have the least places open and make that your night.you might find that 1 extra sale a week is worth it.
    Mine doesn't. Hours are 8:30-5:30 Monday-Friday and we close for an hour at noon for lunch. I know, I'm spoiled. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    IWhere is your owner BTW?

I work at a hospital so no owner. The reason we say 4:30 is so I can actually leave at 5. Years before I started working here I guess they had a lot of problems with people showing up right at 5. It also always me to finish up things like paper work or to simply clean the optical shop before I leave for the day. I think any other store that closes optical or not will have employees there after close to clean and what not. I don't ever leave early without a go ahead from my boss. If I leave early I don't get paid and I like to get paid so it doesn't happen often.

As far as respect goes I get it from my coworkers and my manager. I work at a great place. I just wish patients respected my time a little more. Like telling me they can be there 15 minutes after I close. Now if the Dr is just finishing up with a patient and they need me that is a horse of a different color. I still would like them to respect my time and not casually browse and come to a decision. I think that might be asking to much though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work at a hospital so no owner. The reason we say 4:30 is so I can actually leave at 5. Years before I started working here I guess they had a lot of problems with people showing up right at 5. It also always me to finish up things like paper work or to simply clean the optical shop before I leave for the day. I think any other store that closes optical or not will have employees there after close to clean and what not. I don't ever leave early without a go ahead from my boss. If I leave early I don't get paid and I like to get paid so it doesn't happen often.

As far as respect goes I get it from my coworkers and my manager. I work at a great place. I just wish patients respected my time a little more. Like telling me they can be there 15 minutes after I close. Now if the Dr is just finishing up with a patient and they need me that is a horse of a different color. I still would like them to respect my time and not casually browse and come to a decision. I think that might be asking to much though.
    Sorry, I went down the wrong track. If you are looking for the consumer to change, and not take advantage of your time in any "retail" setting (read in optical shops), get a government job where you do get ready to leave at 5, at 4:30.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Sorry, I went down the wrong track. If you are looking for the consumer to change, and not take advantage of your time in any "retail" setting (read in optical shops), get a government job where you do get ready to leave at 5, at 4:30.
    Hey- We only make fun of engineers and lawyers here!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Hey- We only make fun of engineers and lawyers here!!!
    I just paid my quarterly taxes, not big on government at the moment.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Your work schedule has absolutely no relationship with the wants and desires of all the knuckel heads out there. I have had knuckel heads ask me to stick around for 2 or three hours after closing time to replace a lost temple screw. I have had knuckel heads knock on my door of my home on weekend evenings. It was a few years after I retired that my phone and door bell stopped ringing. I have recently enjoyed a few years of relative peace and quiet. I'm glad to hear that the knuckel heads are still out there and harassing you all.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I never sold 2 gold frames again in 30 minutes..................................

Over there in Europe opticians have open doors for much longer hours.

When I worked for my father in Switzerland we opened the doors at 7.30 am, so people could bring in repair jobs on their way to work and stayed open until 6.30 pm. We closed 1 hour for lunch. Saturdays we closed at 5pm. Monday was the day off.

There was a female ophthalmologist in her 60's that also worked Saturdays and very often called us up that we should stay longer because she was sending some out of town people with prescriptions that needed glasses.

The Saturday I will never forget was when I stayed on while the other 6 opticians went home at 5 pm and 20 minutes later two older farmers women not very dressed up came into the store.

Looking at the frames the lady asked me if I had nothing nicer and better than what I showed her. So I took out two 18 karat solid Gold frames, worth over 1.000 Francs at the time, and she said instantly that she wanted it, and her friend did not want to stay behind and instantly said I want the other one and both got bifocals.

They came back a week later to pick them up. I never sold 2 gold frames again in 30 minutes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you don't have at least one evening or Saturday hours how do you expect working people to pick up their glasses or contact lenses? It's the casual browsers that show up 5 minutes before closing time that kill me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do the same thing! I'm here til 4:30 but I can wait til 5.
    We close for lunch from 12:30-1:30 but when I tell them that, they come at 1 and bang on the door so I'm back from lunch at 2 now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    9-6 M-F and 9-4 Sat closed Sun. works very good for us.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hours were I work:

Monday 8 to 5
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9 to 8
    Friday 8 to 5
    Saturday 9 to 5

Patients have plenty of time to come in after work during the week. No excuses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Experiencing it for almost 40 years and counting...

Get used to and accept it. It will not change.
    1+ You'll never please everyone. Do what works for you and your company's bottom line.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Hours were I work:

Monday 8 to 5
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9 to 8
    Friday 8 to 5
    Saturday 9 to 5

Patients have plenty of time to come in after work during the week. No excuses.
    What?!?! Why don't you have Sunday Hours???

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No Sunday hours because of religious beliefs of the owner, kinda like Chik Fil A

Plus the place I work for has two optical offices, a medical center for people with cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc and a LASIK center as well, so we do see a number of people for various reasons.

I can't complain about the hours, they rotate us so we only have to work one night a week and alternate Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    What?!?! Why don't you have Sunday Hours???

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best is the people who show up 10 minutes before closing and assume we are open an hour later than the posted hours. Then when they are informed of our closing time they still stay 30 minutes. I would say 80+ percent of the time it is people of a specific ethnicity that do this (hopefully that statement doesn't make me racist but it's true).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I had a late night say tell 7 or so that would mean two hours in the morning with patients being seen but no optician to order glasses. If I were open on a Saturday that would mean security would have to be here so added expense and would make an entire day of patients being seen and no optician. I have worked so many nights and weekends in my life I really don't want to work anymore. I like the hours I work and don't really plan on changing. I just get frustrated when people don't respect my time. I sound horrible but if I have a patient here that needs me I would stay open and help them that goes without saying but if I have someone that just wants browse they can come back when I open in the morning or come back after lunch.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree. I think we would all be willing to stay late to help someone who really NEEDS help. It is the browsers that come in 5 min to close on a Friday night and keep you there an hour late asking questions and just looking and not getting anything. Yes...we are willing to help, but respect our time. I think it is just another loss of manners in today's society. Just like putting your hand up at me when I am trying to measure PD or SH because you want to check your text messages. Give me a break.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I had a late night say tell 7 or so that would mean two hours in the morning with patients being seen but no optician to order glasses. If I were open on a Saturday that would mean security would have to be here so added expense and would make an entire day of patients being seen and no optician. I have worked so many nights and weekends in my life I really don't want to work anymore. I like the hours I work and don't really plan on changing. I just get frustrated when people don't respect my time. I sound horrible but if I have a patient here that needs me I would stay open and help them that goes without saying but if I have someone that just wants browse they can come back when I open in the morning or come back after lunch.
    Agreed. I won't apologize for no late hours and no weekends though that is not my decision to make. When we had Saturday hours we had so many no-show patients it wasn't cost effective to be open. We always stay for those who truly need us whether it is at lunch or at close.

Thread Information