Thread: Best Hoya recommended and not gotten?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best Hoya recommended and not gotten?

A friend who lives out of state was getting new glasses at a place local to her and they use Hoya lenses. I told her to ask for the best Hoya AR. I told her it might be Hoya Super Hi Vision but I wasn't sure- ask for the best. She didn't have AR before. She's had them less than 2 weeks.

She is visiting and I was cleaning her and my glasses and checked her AR with a Vis-a-Vis wet erase cause it was hard to clean and smeary. I was able to draw on them- it didn't bead up at all! I was shocked, even my year old Crizal AR beads up. I told her I didn't think they gave her a good AR.

Shouldn't a new Hoya AR when drawn on with a Vis-a-Vis bead up? What the heck did they give her I wonder?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe the people placing the order didn't give her the best or maybe they're was some substrate matching issue?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe the lenses are Trivex.

So so what's the best Hoya AR?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Should be the super hi ex3? I don't know any better from hoya. I am not really a big fan of their AR. I have noticed that the super hi is not near is slick as they were a couple years back. I used to have a hard time edging without turning or marking the lenses even, now not so much?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    A friend who lives out of state was getting new glasses at a place local to her and they use Hoya lenses. I told her to ask for the best Hoya AR. I told her it might be Hoya Super Hi Vision but I wasn't sure- ask for the best. She didn't have AR before. She's had them less than 2 weeks.

She is visiting and I was cleaning her and my glasses and checked her AR with a Vis-a-Vis wet erase cause it was hard to clean and smeary. I was able to draw on them- it didn't bead up at all! I was shocked, even my year old Crizal AR beads up. I told her I didn't think they gave her a good AR.

Shouldn't a new Hoya AR when drawn on with a Vis-a-Vis bead up? What the heck did they give her I wonder?
    Poor cleaning habits will have a negative impact on even the best coatings. I find a lot of cleaners have isopropyl alcohol in them which will wear down the top coats over time. There is just no way of knowing what the person got without checking the lab ticket except in obvious circumstances where the coatings reflective color is not correct.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Super HiVision EX3 is Hoya's best coating, I doubt that's what she received if there isn't an oleophobic layer. Correct me if I'm wrong Harry but if it's only been two weeks there should still be some remnants of oil resistance even if they were cleaning it every day with isop. alcohol.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper AR coatings of any brand or kind are different babies ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

AR coatings of any brand or kind are different babies than the Hydrophobic coating that goes on top of it.

In the old days AR coated lenses were of any kind of make were always dirty and hard to clean.

That is due to the applied AR surface ls looking like the Swiss mountains under a microscope. Mountain tops and valleys that fill with dirt. The Hydrophobic coating fills the valleys without changing the optical qualities and creates an even surface that makes the lens much easier to clean.

Manufacturers of these topcoats are promoting their products by having a better angle for water run-off, oliophobic and so forth, and some more reasons, while all they actually need, is to fill the microscopic valleys of the AR coating from collecting hard to remove dirt.

However the friction created by the hundreds of different materials used to clean the lens surface will wear down the Hydrophobic coatings in due time, sooner or later. The more cleaning the faster the layer disappears.

These days there are now separate products available on the market to renew the original layer of the HYDROPHOBIC coating, that can be easily applied to the surface from a spray bottle, and then wipe with a soft paper tissue and let dry. This makes it an easy and inexpensive way of having a perfect lens again after the top coating has worn off partially or totally.

You can actually purchase the lenses without the Hydrophobic coating from your AR coating lab, cut the lenses without the slippage in the bevel edger and apply the topcoat yourself after edging, at considerable savings.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Poor cleaning habits will have a negative impact on even the best coatings. I find a lot of cleaners have isopropyl alcohol in them which will wear down the top coats over time. There is just no way of knowing what the person got without checking the lab ticket except in obvious circumstances where the coatings reflective color is not correct.
    The lenses were new, actually less than 2 weeks old. Even if they were just Super High Vision I would think they would have the oleophobic top coat.

She he said she was just cleaning with the spray they gave her.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady:496821
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    The lenses were new, actually less than 2 weeks old. Even if they were just Super High Vision I would think they would have the oleophobic top coat.

She he said she was just cleaning with the spray they gave her.
    that's what they all say!! :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We used to be a high volume Hoya practice. It was common to receive defective AR

Thread Information